ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What money do I need if I am a non-boarding student?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

new2here
Newly Registered

Bank statement and proof of funds

Post by new2here » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:26 pm

"3. You must show that you have held the required money for a consecutive 28 day period (finishing on the date of the closing balance) ending no more than 31 days before your application"

I don't think I understand this.

My bank prepares bank statements like this:

"...We hereby certify that on today's date (ie. the day the letter is being prepared), Jane Doe had a credit balance of $123.00 with an average balance for the past 6 months of $250.00..."

Question: does this mean that if I apply for a tier 4 visa on August 31, then the letter from the bank should show the balance as of the day July 31?

Is it that I'm supposed to ask my bank to show my balance as of July 31, even though the letter is being prepared after July 31?

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Bank statement and proof of funds

Post by sah10406 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:10 am

new2here wrote:"3. You must show that you have held the required money for a consecutive 28 day period (finishing on the date of the closing balance) ending no more than 31 days before your application"

Question: does this mean that if I apply for a tier 4 visa on August 31, then the letter from the bank should show the balance as of the day July 31?
That is the earliest date the balance can be, or any other date "no more than 31 days before your application". I think you missed the words "no more than".
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Chooka_v
Newly Registered

Post by Chooka_v » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:31 pm

new2here wrote:"3. You must show that you have held the required money for a consecutive 28 day period (finishing on the date of the closing balance) ending no more than 31 days before your application"

I don't think I understand this.

My bank prepares bank statements like this:

"...We hereby certify that on today's date (ie. the day the letter is being prepared), Jane Doe had a credit balance of $123.00 with an average balance for the past 6 months of $250.00..."

Is it that I'm supposed to ask my bank to show my balance as of July 31, even though the letter is being prepared after July 31?
You need to show a bank statement or letting showing the funds have been in the account for 28 days.
The letter/statement should be no older than 30 days before the visa application date.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Chooka_v wrote:The letter/statement should be no older than 30 days before the visa application date.
31 days. And it's not how old the letter or statement is, but when the closing balance was, which is not always the same thing.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

ukvisinq
Newly Registered

Post by ukvisinq » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Does the date on which the required money was deposited into the account count?

In my case, the money was deposited into my account on July 25th. The 28th day after July 25 (including July 25) is August 21. Does that mean the earliest I can apply is August 21 or August 22?

Waqasrafiq2
- thin ice -

Post by Waqasrafiq2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:41 pm

ukvisinq wrote:Does the date on which the required money was deposited into the account count?

In my case, the money was deposited into my account on July 25th. The 28th day after July 25 (including July 25) is August 21. Does that mean the earliest I can apply is August 21 or August 22?
Yes . Keep for an extra day would be more good.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:06 pm

ukvisinq wrote:Does the date on which the required money was deposited into the account count?

August 21, but it would be logistically unusual to be reach day 28, obtain the evidence of that from the bank, and apply all on the same day. Hence to provision to apply up to 31 days later.

new2here
Newly Registered

Post by new2here » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 pm

Okay, I read the replies but I'm still confused. Will review them again.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:14 am

new2here wrote:Okay, I read the replies but I'm still confused.
Ask your Tier 4 sponsor for advice.

new2here
Newly Registered

Post by new2here » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:22 am

Reviewed some parts of the guidance and it's clearer now. Well this:

If I'm applying for and receiving a student loan, then this is what applies to me:

" 219. Documents needed to show money available to you

v. Letter from a regulated financial institution confirming a loan

The loan letter(s) from a regulated financial institution that you send us must be dated no more than 6 months before the date of your application. The letter(s) must be the original (not a copy) and must clearly show..."

The others (numbers i. to iv.) refer to a consecutive 28-day period and they don't apply to me (but I'm still confused about them). Lol.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2017.pdf

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:57 am

new2here wrote:The others (numbers i. to iv.) refer to a consecutive 28-day period and they don't apply to me (but I'm still confused about them). Lol.
As you say, they don't apply to you, so ignore them. The application is time-consuming enough without going into the requirements for other applicants using other types of evidence.

More :roll: than lol.

new2here
Newly Registered

What money do I need if I am a non-boarding student?

Post by new2here » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:34 pm

"255. The money that you will need for living costs depends on your care arrangements while in the UK. These may be that:
 you will be staying in the UK with a carer who is a resident British citizen or other UK resident; "

"What money for living costs do I need if I am staying with a carer who is a resident British citizen or other UK resident?

256. If you are staying with a carer who is a resident British citizen or other UK resident, you will need to show that:
 your intended carer has agreed to look after and accommodate you in the UK for the length of your course; and
 your intended carer has at least £570 per month to look after and accommodate you in the UK for each month of your course up, to a maximum of 9 months; and
 confirmation that the intended carer is a resident British citizen or other UK resident."

In these instances, is UK Visas and Immigration referring to this definition of carer?

"A carer is anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support.", or are they referring to ANYONE (relative/family member) who is willing and able to support (me).? ie. I DON'T have illness, disability etc.

Study in London, stay at a relative/family member for the duration of my course.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: What money do I need if I am a non-boarding student?

Post by sah10406 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:17 pm

So you are now applying as a Tier 4 (Child)? Last week you were asking about the Tier 4 (General) rules. And the before that about Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange. And last month you asked about working under Tier 2.

Can you clarify?

new2here
Newly Registered

Post by new2here » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:53 pm

So I take it that what I asked in my post refers to Tier 4 child. Thanks.

Also, thanks for keeping track of my posts. Appreciated.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:14 am

new2here wrote:So I take it that what I asked in my post refers to Tier 4 child.
I fear we are being trolled.

Yes,given that you are quoting from the section of the Tier 4 policy guidance called "What money does a Tier 4 (Child) student need?".

If you are genuinely making an immigration application, whether that's Tier 4 General, Tier 4 Child, Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange or Tier 2 General, I strongly advise that you get advice on your application from whoever has sponsored you for the visa.

new2here
Newly Registered

Post by new2here » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:03 pm

I don't have time to troll--especially on such a forum. So you can stop "fearing".

Ridiculous.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:23 pm

new2here wrote:I don't have time to troll--especially on such a forum. So you can stop "fearing".

Ridiculous.
Okay, fair enough, but you must see why I wondered that, when you have asked about so many different types of application that one person could not possibly be doing!

Plus, if your application is Tier 4 General with financial evidence in a loan letter (which was the last specific type of application you mentioned), it's puzzling why you are also focussing on unrelated matters like money for a Tier 4 Child or the specifics of showing money in a bank account. Hence why I think you probably would benefit from one-to-one advice from your Tier 4 sponsor.