ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Incorrect spelling on "UK Residence Documentation for EEA"

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

AB1987
Newly Registered

Incorrect spelling on "UK Residence Documentation for EEA"

Post by AB1987 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi All,

I recently successfully applied for a permanent residence permit as an EEA citizen.

However it seems that the HO misspelled my surname. My surname includes the letter "ä" ("a" with an umlaut mark) which should be spelt "ae" internationally, but they simply used "a". Note that in my application I correctly included "ae".

I've been given a variety of email addresses from the help center, however all are unmanned inboxes which basically says that emails that are not a reply to an ongoing inquiry will be deleted unread... (emailed BRCLost, BRCError, BRCDelivery etc)

Does anyone know what to do in this situation, and how to get it corrected?

Much appreciated

manntodd
Newly Registered

Re: Incorrect spelling on "UK Residence Documentation for EE

Post by manntodd » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:51 pm

It depends how it is spelt in your passport. If the passport says a and not ae your document will be a not ae. Since in English the accents are not written it will have the same effect as those are tonal.
If you really want it corrected, send the document and your passport back to the office of application (signed for of course) and explain your requirement

AB1987
Newly Registered

Post by AB1987 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks for your response.

The passport says "ä" (with the umlaut) and the machine readable part clearly shows the international spelling "ae".

Where do you suggest I send it? Back to the same office as the original application, with a cover letter explaining the mistake? I am surprised that they don't have a phone number or an email address where items such as this can be solved quickly... I'm sure mine is not the only one they got wrong

Thank you

VicenteRM
Newly Registered

Post by VicenteRM » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi everyone, any updates on how this problem was solved?

My husband just received his "UK Residence Documentation for EEA"(QP, not Permanent Residence) with a spelling mistake on his name too. They misspelt his surname as "Emlgar" instead of "Melgar" (literally a f* typo). I just received my own residence card (as an EEA family member) and I know that I could correct this on gov.uk/brp website, but don't know if this would work for the QP document as well.

Also, as stated in another post, I just read on the gov.uk site that "A residence card usually lasts up to 5 years. However, your residence card won’t be valid after the UK leaves the EU." so now I don't know if I should even bother... :evil:

AB1987v2
Newly Registered

Post by AB1987v2 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:10 pm

@ VicenteRM

This took me ages unfortunately...

In the end I had to post a letter to the address on the letter I received with my QP, explaining the mistake. After about 1.5 months I got a letter back saying I have to send in the QP. Sent it back, and then about 2 months later I received the corrected QP

VicenteRM
Newly Registered

Post by VicenteRM » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:31 pm

@AB1987v2
Thanks for the quick response!

I think we will do that immediately then. Even though it might be useless now...