ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Application - unaware of Liability order

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

earlsvegas
Newly Registered

Citizenship Application - unaware of Liability order

Post by earlsvegas » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi,

Looking for some advise on the below as I have submitted my application for citizenship but now I am a nervous wreck.

I applied last week for my citizenship - absolutely everything in order. This week I just did some background checks to see that all my past council taxes were in order and was surprised to see that my address from 2 years ago had an outstanding balance including a fee for: summons cost council, summons cost justice & liability cost council (the arrears & costs were written off earlier this year from the records). I must not have closed my account properly when I left and obviously never received these summons or liability order. I immediately called up the council, and after they told me how much was outstanding in my name, I paid it immediately, now their is a zero balance on my account.

Can anyone tell me if this might have an affect on my application? I checked for ccjs and don't have any records of anything against my name. I obviously never input any of this on my application from as I was unaware of it.

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Citizenship Application - unaware of Liability order

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Not familiar with council tax arrears but if you have cleared down the arrears this should be ok. Perhaps a review of your credit reference files is in order, just in case.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

earlsvegas
Newly Registered

Post by earlsvegas » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:32 pm

alterhase58 wrote:Not familiar with council tax arrears but if you have cleared down the arrears this should be ok. Perhaps a review of your credit reference files is in order, just in case.
Thanks for your response - credit records are in order. My main worry is that because I was not present to receive the summons and respond to it, then this was passed through county court to issue liability order which I was not there for - really hoping this will not count against me. I agree that because I have cleared the full arrears that should be ok - still nervous about it all regardless.

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:34 pm

I don't know how it will affect your citizenship application, but I suspect you'll be fine. Here's why:

When I was living in Oxford, I had the misfortune of experiencing the council's incompetence first-hand.* I won't go into the full details of what happened (except to say that it was all their fault, and I eventually got them to admit as much in writing), but it resulted in a spurious liability order being taken out against me for council tax arrears. While trying to get to the bottom of how this could have happened, I learned that these orders tend to be approved at the magistrate's court in batches. I also learned that while the council keeps a record of the individuals' names, the courts do not—the court only records the name of the council.

Assuming things work the same way with your council, I don't believe there will be any record of this that will be held against you now that you've paid the fees and closed the account.

Like I said, I don't know for sure that your application will be unaffected, but based on my own understanding of how these things work, I would guess that you'll be fine.

*I hate them so much that I'm not going to obscure the identity of the council, even though it gives potentially identifying information about me.

earlsvegas
Newly Registered

Post by earlsvegas » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Thank you tea rocket. That gives a slight peace of mind that the courts don't record the name and does not count as a ccj. I am just unsure on why the council has my arrears and costs written off on my account online (and when I called them they said i still owed the amount so I paid it) and wandering if they might have filed anything else against me for not responding or getting in touch with them after the liability order was issued (as I was not aware). I heard the next step if they don't hear from you is they normally send bailiffs to recover the money - but my old landlord never mentioned anything to me. They did however have my telephone number and email address but i never received any communication regarding the matter.

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:52 pm

I have lived in three council areas in my time in the UK and the only one that I never had a problem with was the one where I spent my undergrad years. I had no trouble because I moved in after my student status began and moved out before it ended. It seems to me that most councils are understaffed and as a result, anyone whose council tax account needs the attention of an actual human, instead of an automated system, has a very high chance of getting screwed somewhere along the line.

My guess is that your arrears amount was small enough that the projected costs of recovering it (via bailiffs or a collections agency) were higher than the amount they could hope to get back, so no one made an effort to find you.

rhaegar18
Newly Registered
India

Post by rhaegar18 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Would you mind sharing the outcome of your application? I'm in a similar position!