ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization after ILR in the new system

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ibo
Newly Registered

Naturalization after ILR in the new system

Post by ibo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi. A quick question, not sure if it has been asked before....I searched and did not get any thread.

Under the new proposed 'Path to Citizenship' does it specify the time period after ILR to citizenship. I understand that under the proposal an individual will be given probationary citizenship after 5 years of temporary residence in tier1 or tier 2. Then he/she may apply for full citizenship after 1-2 years.

The other route after 5 years temporary residence is to go for ILR which will be given after 3 more years (total of 8 years including temporary residence). However, it does not mention how long will it take after ILR to apply for Naturalization, in case someone wants to apply for it.

It would be logical to assume that one can apply at any time for full citizenship after ILR under the new proposed rule.....Is this the case.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Re: Naturalization after ILR in the new system

Post by thirdwave » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:53 pm

ibo wrote:Hi. A quick question, not sure if it has been asked before....I searched and did not get any thread.

Under the new proposed 'Path to Citizenship' does it specify the time period after ILR to citizenship. I understand that under the proposal an individual will be given probationary citizenship after 5 years of temporary residence in tier1 or tier 2. Then he/she may apply for full citizenship after 1-2 years.

The other route after 5 years temporary residence is to go for ILR which will be given after 3 more years (total of 8 years including temporary residence). However, it does not mention how long will it take after ILR to apply for Naturalization, in case someone wants to apply for it.

It would be logical to assume that one can apply at any time for full citizenship after ILR under the new proposed rule.....Is this the case.
The 'logic' behind the proposed changes is that making ILR more difficult to obtain than citizenship would persuade more people to go for naturalisation rather than ILR. Apparently, 40% of people who gain ILR opt to not take citizenship at present (and this Gordon Brown does not approve of)

However, one can rest assured that Liam Bryne and Co are going to try every conceivable trick in the book to make the 'Journey to Citizenship' as difficult as possible for potential non EU immigrants..I think the 'pathway' is to be made open ended for exactly that purpose, to bring in more retrospective changes in the future..

SYH
BANNED

Re: Naturalization after ILR in the new system

Post by SYH » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:52 pm

ibo wrote:Hi. A quick question, not sure if it has been asked before....I searched and did not get any thread.

Id have to look at the proposal again
but what I remember is that if you have ILR, then nothing really changes for you to get citizenship, it is still 1 year.
It is the journey to get ILR is the pain in the mule that takes years and years that they are trying to make as difficult as possible so you go for citizenship and if you are not intersted in citizenship , then you give up on getting ILR.