ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sponsor Mostly Outside the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

samira_uk
BANNED

Sponsor Mostly Outside the UK

Post by samira_uk » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi,

One of my friends is a British citizen and she wants to bring her husband here. She is employed by a UK company in the UK and pays taxes on her income in the UK. However, due to the nature of her job, she is outside the UK most of the time (maybe more than 8 months a year). Now, she wonders whether she is able to bring her husband using her income in the UK? I did not see anywhere in the rules that the sponsor should be in the UK most of the time and there are provisions about their income and the required documents.

Any similar case or experience?

Thanks in advance

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Sponsor Mostly Outside the UK

Post by seagul » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:47 am

In this case if the job is like army/consular/scientist/footballer/doctor/journalist or similar like that then it's understandable & justifiable. But if it's family run business by the applicant and it's not reputable in market then it will trigger gigantic investigation & delays.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:09 am

samira_uk wrote:Hi,

One of my friends is a British citizen and she wants to bring her husband here. She is employed by a UK company in the UK and pays taxes on her income in the UK. However, due to the nature of her job, she is outside the UK most of the time (maybe more than 8 months a year). Now, she wonders whether she is able to bring her husband using her income in the UK? I did not see anywhere in the rules that the sponsor should be in the UK most of the time and there are provisions about their income and the required documents.

Any similar case or experience?

Thanks in advance
The crucial issue here is whether your friend is intending to settle in the UK with her husband. In order for a spouse to qualify they must (intend & continue) to live together in the UK with their sponsor. Proof of co-habitation will be required at each step of the 5 year period, which will require documented evidence that the marriage is subsisting.

If your friend is outside of the UK for 8 months in a year, this is unlikely to meet these conditions, regardless of their type of employment (assuming not military or Government). You haven't said whether your friend's husband will travel with her or remain in the UK?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

samira_uk
BANNED

Post by samira_uk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:59 am

Thank you for your replies.

1-His job is in procurement and so she needs to travel a lot. It is not a big business but not a family run as well. Again, I have not seen anywhere in the rules that the british sponsor should be in the UK most of the time.

2-This situation will change definitely after issuance of her husband's visa as he will move to the UK and the sponsor intends to change her work pattern to be in the UK most of the time so there wont be any issue about the ILR

Thanks

Tamandua

Post by Tamandua » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:21 pm

samira_uk wrote:Thank you for your replies.

1-His job is in procurement and so she needs to travel a lot. It is not a big business but not a family run as well. Again, I have not seen anywhere in the rules that the british sponsor should be in the UK most of the time.

2-This situation will change definitely after issuance of her husband's visa as he will move to the UK and the sponsor intends to change her work pattern to be in the UK most of the time so there wont be any issue about the ILR

Thanks
My husband worked in the UK many times a year (even months) but he was officially employed by a UK company in Gibraltar. Because of that he wasn't considered 'settled' in the UK, therefore, my visa was refused. If your friend works for a UK company in the UK and pays taxes here, I don't think her husband will have problems because the whole application is about ticking boxes, payslips, bank statements and proof of communication between the couple. Perhaps evidence that they travelled together or visited each other.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks
If the business is not reputable in market or not have heavy turn over then it can trigger heavy suspicion as procurement is not a type of job where you can be outside uk for 8 months a year. I don't think you can find exactly the guidance which suits you rather you have to meet the requirements which suits to HO. So if you can't find anything in guidance or there is no court judgement exist then more likely it won't be permissible/acceptable.
Moreover, if the sponsor spouse found in applicant's country doing that procurement job for 8 months then it will further trigger investigations. Again you have to meet the requirements as in guidance rather HO need to meet your requirements, if can't find guidance/case reference then more likely it's not acceptable.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:34 pm

seagul wrote:

Thanks
If the business is not reputable in market or not have heavy turn over then it can trigger heavy suspicion as procurement is not a type of job where you can be outside uk for 8 months a year. I don't think you can find exactly the guidance which suits you rather you have to meet the requirements which suits to HO. So if you can't find anything in guidance or there is no court judgement exist then more likely it won't be permissible/acceptable.
Moreover, if the sponsor spouse found in applicant's country doing that procurement job for 8 months then it will further trigger investigations. Again you have to meet the requirements as in guidance rather HO need to meet your requirements, if can't find guidance/case reference then more likely it's not acceptable.
There's no dispute that a procurement role can require long periods outside of the UK! However, in order to meet the conditions for FLR(M) and SET(M), the sponsor will be required to show that they are 'settled' and 'ordinarily resident' in the UK throughout their husband's qualifying period. With more time spent abroad than in the UK, this may prove to be difficult. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Tamandua

Post by Tamandua » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:53 am

Casa wrote:With more time spent abroad than in the UK, this may prove to be difficult. :idea:
Not necessarily. The British spouse works in the UK and pays taxes on her income in the UK. Just because her role requires extensive travel doesn't mean she is not an ordinarily resident in the UK. Unless she transferred the centre of her life somewhere else, she is still a genuine resident in the UK.
If the visa gets refused they will have grounds to appeal.

My leave to remain was refused because the job offer my husband provided wasn't 'official' according to the HO. They were expecting a formal contract. Consequently, from the HO's perspective, my husband was still paying taxes in Gibraltar. Hence, he wasn't a UK citizen in the UK at the time of the application.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:58 am

I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

samira_uk
BANNED

Post by samira_uk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:06 am

Casa wrote:
seagul wrote:

Thanks
There's no dispute that a procurement role can require long periods outside of the UK! However, in order to meet the conditions for FLR(M) and SET(M), the sponsor will be required to show that they are 'settled' and 'ordinarily resident' in the UK throughout their husband's qualifying period. With more time spent abroad than in the UK, this may prove to be difficult. :idea:
Thank you however as I explained before this pattern will change after granting the visa