ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

marriage certificate

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amareen
Newly Registered

marriage certificate

Post by amareen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:24 am

Hi

I recently got marrried in Pakistan and my hsuband has been issued with a 2 year spouse visa, can you advise what the requirements are in order to register my marriage here, are we able to get married under British law in the registar office. I am told confllicting stories from registar offices who tell me i need a certificate of approval, i dont think i need it as the visa was issued due to spouse visa so the certificate would have been verified by the high commision in pakistan. I then phoned the home office enquiries line, who absoultuely know anything and told me to contact the Pakistan embassy.

Please advise, I just want to change my surname..etc and know banks require recognized marriage certificate.

Amz

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:47 am

If the wedding certificate is legally recognised in your home country then it should be legal in the UK.

vinny

marriage certificate

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:46 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

xen
Newly Registered

Post by xen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:01 pm

I use my Palestinian marriage certificate here no probs - to change my name, update my passport, get DH's UK visa etc - only thing is we had to get a certified translation and attach that to the original certificate cos the original is all in Arabic - we have to send the original and the certified translation together everytime we want to use it

hope that helps:)

Sammie

Post by Sammie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:09 pm

Hi

You can use your Nikkah Nawa to get your name changed. Either go to a solicitor with a translation service or go to your local "Pakistani Community Centre" (if you have one where you live). They will translate your Nikkah Nawa for you into English. You can then use this translation to get your passport amended. Once your passport has been changed you can change your bank accounts, drivers licence etc using your newly amended passport.

Hope that helps!

:)

Sammie

m000n

Post by m000n » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:06 am

Sammie wrote:Hi

You can use your Nikkah Nawa to get your name changed. Either go to a solicitor with a translation service or go to your local "Pakistani Community Centre" (if you have one where you live). They will translate your Nikkah Nawa for you into English. You can then use this translation to get your passport amended. Once your passport has been changed you can change your bank accounts, drivers licence etc using your newly amended passport.

Hope that helps!

Sammie
its mean i dnt have to marry regester marriage here in uk as long i have nikah nama?

Sammie

Post by Sammie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:38 am

m000n wrote: its mean i dnt have to marry regester marriage here in uk as long i have nikah nama?
No, you don't need to register the marriage at a UK registry office. Nikkah Nawa is sufficient to act as a Marriage Certificate and (a translated version) is recognised by official bodies such as DVLA, Passport office, Banks, etc.

Sammie