ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about Foreign birth registration and adoption

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sera1
Newly Registered

Question about Foreign birth registration and adoption

Post by sera1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:33 am

Hello! I wonder if anyone could help me with some question I can't find on the official website. I'm english, applying for Irish citizenship though my Irish Grandad.

He is 89 and his christian name on his passport does not match the christian name on his birth certificate - but he never changed it by deed poll. He just preferred this other name and used that. Is this a problem? I don't want him in trouble. Would they just be ok with it?

Also, it says to supply the adoption certificate of the parent, if they are adopted...

BUT it does not say to supply the adoption certificate of yourself, if you are adopted. I am adopted - can I still apply??? is it an oversight on the website? I will send it anyway.

Also, my name was changed right after adoption but there is no deed poll, just a adoption certificate. Do I need to show proof of usage in my 'new' name?

Thankyou

jimbucktoo
Newly Registered

Re: Question about Foreign birth registration and adoption

Post by jimbucktoo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:38 am

If your grandfather had an Irish passport (and was born in Ireland) then your adoptive parent was born with Irish citizenship. Adopted or not, you may claim Irish citizenship too. First though you have to get an Intercountry Adoption Certificate. It cost about £60, and this is the website you need:

https://aai.gov.ie/adoption/intercountr ... ption.html

PS I know all this because my eldest daughter is adopted, and so we have been through the process. Getting the certificate though is only step 1. Step 2 is then registering yourself as a foreign birth (which costs another £250 or so). It's plain sailing with the adoption certificate though.

sera1
Newly Registered

Post by sera1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:05 am

Thanks for replying. Oh no seriously...I already sent my form on the 20th of Aug and paid the big fee will I have to pay it again :( The website didn't give information about adoption and I'm my adopted mothers daughter

Montana1
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Montana1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:53 pm

My fiance is in the same situation and cannot get a clear answer from the Irish authorities. Did you have to register your adoption abroad in the Intercountry adoption register or did they allow your FBR without that?

aidanc
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by aidanc » Fri May 04, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

Regarding what jimbucktoo has stated, I actually experienced something quite the opposite.

My grandmother was born in Ireland (I have her original long-form certificate, etc.,) and my mother was born in England. My mother was adopted by my Grandparents. (Irish Grandmother, English Grandfather).

I went through the inter-country adoption process. We paid the fee and registered my mother's adoption within Ireland through the Adoption Authority of Ireland (AAI). We have the original certificate that as issued.

However, when completing my own FBR application, it was subsequently rejected and I was advised that my mother only became a citizen AFTER she was entered in the adoption register and, of course, that was after I was born so, therefore, I am not illegible to become a citizen. This does not seem right to me and is the opposite of what jimbucktoo has stated below.

I am contact with a few people who are in a similar situation. We were advised by our local consulate that there is currently a high court case underway within Dublin and there may well be a ruling soon that could overturn the decision - this provides us with hope.

if anyone has any additional information and/or supporting documentation that they could share, it would really, really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.