ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 Dependent Child over 18 and Studying Abroad

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

layla1910
Newly Registered

Tier 2 Dependent Child over 18 and Studying Abroad

Post by layla1910 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:46 pm

First, thank you for this forum. I have been able to get more useful answers here, than from some immigration solicitors

My question:
My son was granted leave to remain as my Tier 2 dependent before he was 18. Now he is over 18, and we need to send him to university abroad (in my country) because we cannot afford the very high international students' fees of UK universities. Will this affect his ILR application in the future and will he be considered leading an independent life, even though I will be paying his tuition fees and all other living expenses abroad?

Thank you very much

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 2 Dependent Child over 18 and Studying Abroad

Post by zimba » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Possibly. Also remember that ILR status means settled in the UK. Leaving UK for long periods could lead to ILR being lost
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice