ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eu1 for a Canadian married to a UK national - Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

m1ckeym0us3
Newly Registered
Canada

Eu1 for a Canadian married to a UK national - Ireland

Post by m1ckeym0us3 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:25 am

So I need some serious help. I was denied to the UK through Dublin as I had no round trip ( first time travelling I had no clue what I was even doing). I was married to my husband in Canada and went to the UK after , they let me in. Our bills got on top of us and I had no money to make my bus to catch my flight in London. I overstayed by 1 month until we had the money as none of our family could help. I want to go to Ireland with my husband he will be working and using his treaty rights we want to do this before brexit as it is the only affordable option . I saw I have to apply for an EU1 form , but it says on the form i need the pps number which I think I need to apply for when I am in Ireland. I will onyl be going once to move as I have no money to keep going back and forth. I read I will get a stamp in my passport for the Eu1 form but I read I have to apply for it once I am in Ireland. I don't know if I should get a round trip ticket for my flight either as I don't know what proof the border will want that I am applying for the form. Since I was sent back from Dublin once, overstayed out of no fault of my own for a month in another country I have no idea what to do. I don't know who to ask for advice . I know what to do when in Ireland for the form but I don't know what to do to get through the border and how will I get the stamp in my passport and will I be allowed to stay more than 3 months while my application goes through? Where should I go to sort that part out so I can stay ?? I apologize for this huge thing I am so anxious I am so scared of being denied again I am scared of being unable to live with my husband , please get back to me if anyone knows anything. Thank you so so so very much!

HappyKai
Newly Registered

Re: Eu1 for a Canadian married to a UK national - Ireland

Post by HappyKai » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi
I'll try to help you as I have moved from the UK to Ireland.
1. You have a right to move with your husband to Ireland under the EU Directive 2004/38/EC. Previous immigration history does not matter according to the Metock case (google it, can't remember the case number).
2. Decide where you are going to stay. Ireland is more expensive than the UK especially since you're moving to a new country. Dublin is the most expensive as you would expect, other cities and towns are cheaper. But there are fewer jobs in smaller towns, but it all depends on what you do. Also think about whether you will have a car or not, Dublin is expensive but has good public transport. Not sure about the rest of the country.
3. Arrival - you can either fly to Dublin and get a visa on arrival since you're Canadian and travelling with your EU spouse. Travel with your marriage certificate. He can go ahead as long as he meets you at the airport. Or, you could get the ferry to Belfast then get on a train down to Dublin - however, a visa will not be issued as there is no border. The problem with option 2 is the Immigration officer may be upset when you go to collect your temp Stamp 4, that you used that route to avoid immigration but will still give you the visa(a bit of a power trip for them).
4. EU1 form - your EU spouse should find a job, become self employed or a full time student within 3 months of the move. You can send the EU1 form as soon as you arrive, once you have a tenancy agreement (so that you have an address they will send your letters to) and buy a tv license so you have a bill in your names. You can send the rest of the information like work contracts, etc when you have them.
Temp Stamp 4 - a letter from INIS will arrive 3-5 weeks after they receive the EU1 form inviting you to the Garda to get the visa. The visa allows you to prove you're entitled to work in Ireland and get your PPS number if you haven't got it. It's valid for about 9 months.
Stamp 4 EUFAM - long delays mean you'll probably get it 8-9 months after your application.
5. PPS numbers - apply as soon as you can. If you or your spouse have driving licenses, complete the driving form to convert them to Irish licences, you need a PPS number to complete the form. You can use this to apply for the PPS number before you get a job. Or, complete the TR1 form for setting up as self employed in Irish, it's a good reason for the PPS number.
6. Bank accounts - you can open a bank account at KBC Bank while you're still in the UK as long as you have a NI number, proof of address and ID. This is the easiest way to do it because you can provide all the information they want, which will take you 2-3 months when you move to Ireland. It's all done online Ann you send photos of the documents. If you don't have the above you can open the account when you arrive.
Let me know if you have anymore questions.

m1ckeym0us3
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by m1ckeym0us3 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Thank you so much for the response this is very helpful! I was worried about my brief travel history. So I do have a question in regards to the pps , my husband and I do not drive it isn't necessary to obtain the pps correct? I just want to double check and make sure I have as much in order as possible. We have spoken to potential employers for my hubby and have looked through public transport and options for rentals and have spoken to potential land lords as well so we are set in those departments. Another question if I mention the metock case to the border guard will that also help in case they bring up past history? Thank you I get really anxious about all this and you have been a great help so far :)

HappyKai
Newly Registered

Post by HappyKai » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi
1. The driving licence idea is just to help you get your PPS numbers as soon as possible. You can wait until he has a job offer then make an appointment to get the numbers. You will be sent the numbers a week after your appointment.
2. I think you print and travel with a copy of the directive, the Metock case and EU guidance for travelling without a visa. If you have it printed, it will be easier in the event of a disagreement. You can show the officer if it's required.

All the best!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:17 pm

m1ckeym0us3 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:27 pm
Thank you so much for the response this is very helpful! I was worried about my brief travel history. So I do have a question in regards to the pps , my husband and I do not drive it isn't necessary to obtain the pps correct? I just want to double check and make sure I have as much in order as possible. We have spoken to potential employers for my hubby and have looked through public transport and options for rentals and have spoken to potential land lords as well so we are set in those departments. Another question if I mention the metock case to the border guard will that also help in case they bring up past history? Thank you I get really anxious about all this and you have been a great help so far :)
If you don't drive Dublin it is, everywhere else is a bit rural...

Tram, bus and DART is cheap (just about the only thing that is) my Leap (travel) card costs me €218 a month which is pretty good for what it is.

Finding a place to live can be a bugger, first time I was here took me 4 months to find a place, had to live in a hotel, which was nice but not cheap. This time I was lucky, found a room for €1100 in a nice area, you're looking at €2000 plus in the city, but places are cheaper in other parts of the city, though can be a bit rough, full of nackers and druggies...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

m1ckeym0us3
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by m1ckeym0us3 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:05 pm

HappyKai wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:16 pm
Hi
1. The driving licence idea is just to help you get your PPS numbers as soon as possible. You can wait until he has a job offer then make an appointment to get the numbers. You will be sent the numbers a week after your appointment.
2. I think you print and travel with a copy of the directive, the Metock case and EU guidance for travelling without a visa. If you have it printed, it will be easier in the event of a disagreement. You can show the officer if it's required.

All the best!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help :) My husband will make sure to wait until he has the job offer he will be living there shortly before he starts we have spoken to a few renters. So I should get a one way plane ticket correct? Just want to cover all ground and I thought of that one earlier today actually!