ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2:is it possible for me?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nakepratt
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2:is it possible for me?

Post by nakepratt » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi,

Please could someone kindly help me out with a response. I am an MPhil/PhD student and I want to switch to a Tier 2 after completing just 12 months of study even though I have not completed my program, can I make this switch now?

I know the Home Office guidance says if you have completed 12months of study towards a PhD then you can switch in-country "Tier 4 visa - if you have an eligible qualification or you’ve done at least 12 months of a PhD", but don't know if the HO will consider MPhil/PhD as an actual PhD, my CAS was issued for a PhD but my school registered me as an MPhil/PhD student.

Is there anyone who has switched successfully this way?

Also I received part funding for my course, will I still need to show a letter from my financial sponsors even though they did not sponsor me fully and I had to pay more than half of my tuition fees by myself but they paid me £900 for maintenance monthly?

Will it be better to just go home and apply for the tier 2, i already have a job offer from a company that is willing to sponsor me?

Thank you for the reply.

cutex
Newly Registered

Re: Switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2:is it possible for me?

Post by cutex » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi,

Yes it is possible, depending on your circumstance.

amj85

Re: Switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2:is it possible for me?

Post by amj85 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:07 pm

I recently switched from Tier 4 to Tier 2 but I had already sat my PhD viva by then, so my situation was a bit different. But after speaking to the visa department in my university I was told that you can only switch after you have been transferred/confirmed to PhD.

When are you due to transfer?

Although your CAS was issued for a PhD, your university will have to issue a letter that meets UKVI requirements -
2. an original academic transcript or an academic reference on official headed paper from the institution at which you studied towards your eligible qualification. It must have been issued by an authorised official and must confirm:
 your name;
 the course title/award;
 the course duration;
 unless the course is a PhD course, the date of course completion and pass (or the date of award in the case of a degree certificate).

Your university should give you a letter specifically stating that you have completed x months towards a PhD. If they say towards MPhil/PhD - then HO may not consider this.

About financial sponsorship - Tier 2 policy guidance states that
"For the purpose of this section of the guidance ’sponsored’ means supported by an award which covers both fees and living costs."
Since you only received part funding you don't require any letter from your financial sponsor.

If you return home to apply for a tier 2 - you will need a restricted CoS and you have to meet the resident labour market test (RLMT). If you are switching (Tier 4 to Tier 2) within the UK you are exempt from the RLMT provided you meet all UKVI criteria.

Hope that helps.

Cutex - I believe you were in a similar situation. Did you manage to switch?