ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Romanian in the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

griff_500
Newly Registered

Romanian in the UK

Post by griff_500 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:59 am

Good morning all,

This is my first post on here so please be gentle with me.

A friend of mine is Romanian.
She is married to a Hungarian chap resident in the UK and as such has a ten year visa, I believe.
The marriage broke down some time ago and she is now going through a divorce.
She has been in the UK for about 3.5 years.
She now lives with a good friend of mine (English) and they intend to get married once her divorce is through.
She is registered with HMRC as self employed, has NI number, pays her stamp and has filed tax return.
She works as a translator and general admin with a slant towards criminal law.
Thanks for bearing with so now to my question;
She is looking for a change of career and has the opportunity to get into the publishing industry. However, the company will only take her on as a full time employee and not as a self employed contractor. Can she do this?

Many thanks in advance for any advise given.

Regards

Mark

residents
Newly Registered

Post by residents » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi

It depends on exactly what kind of visa she had. Normally, a Romanian citizen can only exercise a treaty right in the UK, meaning being self-employed, a student or a self-sufficient individual.

From your message, it seems that she is self-employed. Providing that her visa doesn't give her the right to work in the UK, she will only be able to undergo PAYE work if the employer applies for a work permit on her behalf.

Please note though that if by any chance she worked legally (PAYE not self-employed) in the UK for 1 year full time before Romania entered the EU, she will be able to work without restriction and without a work permit in the UK.

Hope this helps, if you need further help, I need more details about her visa, expiry date, etc