ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Late police registration and visa extension

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bella94
Newly Registered
Algeria

Late police registration and visa extension

Post by Bella94 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Hello guys,
So I've been in the UK for 3 years as a uni student. I recently graduated, and received an MA offer, so I'm planning to apply for tier 4 visa extension in the next couple of weeks. I have registered with the police and changed my address with them every time I moved, which was every September/October since I lived in different student halls each year. However, I never changed my address within 7 days, which is what was required of me to do. I always changed it after 10-15 days of moving. One time, the police told me I should have done it earlier. But they always updated my address, and no problem occurred. It doesn't even say on my police registration paper that I was late. Now I'm worried that those few days delay might affect my visa extension application? Additionally, I always spent the summer vacation home. And now I'm reading that moving from the address for over 2 months must be reported. So does leaving the UK count as that? I'm very confused and stressed. Does anyone have any information about this? Would really appreciate the help x

mjaan

Re: Late police registration and visa extension

Post by mjaan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Is it must to register with police ? Does it depend on ur nationality ?

CloudyNow
Turkey

Re: Late police registration and visa extension

Post by CloudyNow » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:27 pm

Bella94 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:53 pm
Hello guys,
So I've been in the UK for 3 years as a uni student. I recently graduated, and received an MA offer, so I'm planning to apply for tier 4 visa extension in the next couple of weeks. I have registered with the police and changed my address with them every time I moved, which was every September/October since I lived in different student halls each year. However, I never changed my address within 7 days, which is what was required of me to do. I always changed it after 10-15 days of moving. One time, the police told me I should have done it earlier. But they always updated my address, and no problem occurred. It doesn't even say on my police registration paper that I was late. Now I'm worried that those few days delay might affect my visa extension application? Additionally, I always spent the summer vacation home. And now I'm reading that moving from the address for over 2 months must be reported. So does leaving the UK count as that? I'm very confused and stressed. Does anyone have any information about this? Would really appreciate the help x
If there are no late stamps on your certificate then it is unlikely to affect your application process. However, you have no excuse to violate this rule in future; a one-time negligent mistake can happen and is generally overlooked (I also reported an address change quite late once and the police officer was really helpful), but the more you repeat the same mistake the harder it becomes for you to defend yourself.

You technically need to report planned absences longer than 2 months as well, but I have never heard of this rule being enforced with regards to students being absent for the summer holidays.

You only need to submit the PRC if you apply within the UK. If you are really troubled with these issues you always have the option of travelling back to your home country to apply for a new entry clearance. However, be aware that there are massive delays for those applying outside the UK - priority applications take 15 working days when they are supposed to take 5 working days whereas standard applications take 2+ months when the stipulated processing time is 15 working days.