ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

domwah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by domwah » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 am

Here's an idea: how about stop bothering them!? It's well reported they are very busy processing the deluge of applications. FWIW, I sent my application end of April with an initial expectation of 4 months. My cousin took 7 months, so I revised my expectation to that, plus / minus a month or so. Either way, it's done when it's done.

happilychilled
Newly Registered

Post by happilychilled » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:05 am

I have just received an email confirming that I've been approved and my certificate and supporting documents will be returned to me from London once they have been received back from Dublin. I've been chasing as I need the original of my birth certificate for a job offer ( they need passport and birth certificate for some reason ) and got the email confirming today.
I applied via London on 27th Feb, my application was then sent to Dublin, I was then asked in July for additional info regarding my witness on the app and then had the confirmation today, so a few days over 6 months from start to finish. I expect to get my documents and certificate in the next week or so.

happilychilled
Newly Registered

Post by happilychilled » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:30 pm

I have now received the official letter through, confirming I am now an Irish citizen!!!!All of my original documents have been returned too with no problems.
Timeline
27th Feb - submitted to London Embassy
14th August - Entered onto register
17th August - Letter produced
6th September - Certificate and documents received through post
Interestingly, I chased on 22nd August as I needed my birth certificate back for a job role, and was told that my application was "at a very advanced stage" in the process. At this point, my application had actually already been approved and I was on the register.
Onto the Passport application now :)

spiderplants
European Union

Post by spiderplants » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Hello

I have all the relevant documents now for this but I'm slightly confused about this part:

'Certified/Notarized copy of the photograph page of current passport or state issued identity document (e.g. Driver's Licence)'

I think certifying and notarising are two different things. What have people done to satisfy this part? Who have you asked?

Thanks

ammonite
Newly Registered

Post by ammonite » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:46 pm

I had the copy of my ID certified by my witness at the same time as the form. I wrote something like "This is a true copy of the original" and she signed & dated it.

The copies of my mother's and grandmother's ID were certified by the Post Office (I did not have the originals to show my witness). They will do up to 3 documents for one fee.

They were all accepted no problem.

Ciaran123
Newly Registered

Post by Ciaran123 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:37 pm

happilychilled wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:30 pm
x
I submitted in mid Feb and also just got mine back with a 14 Aug entry date, so looks like they're up to about 7 months now incl. postage time.

Out of interest does anyone know whether I can send a witnessed copy of my UK passport with the Irish application? They say certified driving licenses are ok but strangely omit any mention of this for foreign passports. Not keen to part with my UK passport for however long the passport application takes.

happilychilled
Newly Registered

Post by happilychilled » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Yes, you can send a certified copy of your UK passport, you don't need to send the original

spiderplants
European Union

Post by spiderplants » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:02 pm

ammonite wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:46 pm
I had the copy of my ID certified by my witness at the same time as the form. I wrote something like "This is a true copy of the original" and she signed & dated it.

The copies of my mother's and grandmother's ID were certified by the Post Office (I did not have the originals to show my witness). They will do up to 3 documents for one fee.

They were all accepted no problem.
Thanks, that helps.

billyboylondon
Newly Registered

Post by billyboylondon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:44 am

Received my FBR last Thursday, as of 14th August I'm officially an Irish citizen hooray! All of my original documents also returned.
Timeline
10th Feb - submitted application online
13th Feb - submitted application and supporting documents by hand to the London embassy. At some point my application was sent to Dublin like others have been...
23rd Jun - The DFA in Dublin emailed me to ask I submit my grandmother's 2nd marriage certifcate which was the remaining item needed
5th July - The DFA in Dublin confirmed they'd today received my grandmother's 2nd marriage certificate and my application had now been sent for approval
14th August - FBR certificate produced and dated this day
24th August - FBR certificate sent to London embassy (Dublin told me this when I called to chase)
8th September - received FBR and all documents in normal 1st class post

So just under 7 months from start to finish.

I'll submit the passport application later this week.

Thanks everyone for all your comments and feedback that have helped me with my application process over the last 7 months.

Slainte!

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:15 pm

I applied for my daughter FBR from Irish embassy Turkey in last week of January , I contacted Irish embassy Turkey in first week of August and ask about updates , they said due to large volume of applications , my application was sent to Dublin and they are unable to give me any further updates , then I sent email to department of foreigner affair FBR section Dublin three weeks ago and got this reply today " The application is currently being processed. " , did anyone got this kind of reply and know what does it mean ? does it mean they will decide about my application soon ?
Cheers

siobhanking23
Newly Registered

Post by siobhanking23 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:09 pm

bluemoon2 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:15 pm
I applied for my daughter FBR from Irish embassy Turkey in last week of January , I contacted Irish embassy Turkey in first week of August and ask about updates , they said due to large volume of applications , my application was sent to Dublin and they are unable to give me any further updates , then I sent email to department of foreigner affair FBR section Dublin three weeks ago and got this reply today " The application is currently being processed. " , did anyone got this kind of reply and know what does it mean ? does it mean they will decide about my application soon ?
Cheers
I got the same email on 27th July, I then sent them another email on the 20th August asking for an update. I then got told on the 23rd of August that my partners application "was in the final stages of approval". However it is now the 12th of September and we still haven't heard/received anything. So we are unsure what "the final stage means", and how long it will take. Hopefully its soon!!

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:23 pm

@ siobhanking23 , thanks very much for reply , I got reply after 16 days and you just got reply in 3 days , which email address you use to send them email if you don,t mind telling me please so I will use that in future contact , also can you please inform us here in forum once you get approval so we will get the rough idea of processing time. Cheers and best of luck with your application .

siobhanking23
Newly Registered

Post by siobhanking23 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:57 pm

@bluemoon2
This is the email I used: Foreign.LONDON@dfa.ie
They said that my application had been sent to Dublin, but they checked and it was "in the final stages". I will keep you all posted!!

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:35 pm

thanks very much .

Waitingonireland
Newly Registered

Post by Waitingonireland » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:24 am

My FBR certificate came today! Relevant dates:
Applied from near Boston, USA, so application had to be sent directly to Dublin.
Application hand-delivered to Dublin on May 23 (I happened to be there.)
Received an email July 17 requesting information about my grandmother's name change (she changed her first name when she left Ireland). I responded on July 17 and received this reply on July 18: "Thank you for providing this information. I have sent your application for the final approval."
I received the certificate and all submitted documents in one large white envelope on September 14. It came by regular post. Certificate dated August 29.
Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Karenc
Newly Registered

Post by Karenc » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:33 pm

I received my certificate today 16 Sept. My timeline was applied online mid February. Sent additional documentation for my grandmother Around the 5th of July. It was forwarded for approval on 12 July. The certificate is dated 31 August. Thanks for all the updates on here, it really helped the waiting.

Rosem
Newly Registered

Post by Rosem » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:07 pm

I just wanted to post an update: I ended up going to the Irish Consulate in NYC in person on August 4 and they took all my documents, looked them over and gave back my original FBR certificate and told me I would get my passport in 6 to 8 weeks. Today I received by Fed Express my Irish Passport! Very happy! I have to say that everything was accomplished just in the timeline they said. So good luck everyone.

Jezabel
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Jezabel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:35 am

My application was received at the Irish Embassy in London yesterday 20th September so I am not really expecting anything before April/May next year but will keep you posted on any developments

Nickgooner80
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Nickgooner80 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:33 am

My application was received via special delivery on 20th September 2017 at the London embassy. Sent all documents, application and photocopies.

Just going to leave it now until April next year and see what happens before contacting them. Will keep you posted and Good Luck everyone!

siobhanking23
Newly Registered

Post by siobhanking23 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:30 pm

We received our application
The timeline was:
16th February 2017 - Sent
29th June 2017 - additional documentation requested
13th July 2017 - documentation received
19th September 2017 - certificate in mail (back dated 28th August 2017).

Good luck everyone!!

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:48 pm

@ siobhanking23 , many many congratulations [/b ] , hope I will get for daughter soon as well as I applied in early January .

Indiaphare
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Indiaphare » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:01 am

I received mine yesterday! Based on posts here I was expecting it to take seven months but I submitted on March 20th to the London Embassy and the papers all arrived in the post on September 22nd, so almost six months to the day. For those who aren't asked to send any extra documentation the process seems to be a bit quicker. Good luck everyone!

remxs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by remxs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:55 pm

This is my/our timeline:

Sent: 28th March 2017
Recd: 29th March 2017 (signed for by Katherine at the London Embassy)

Then nothing until...

My sister (with whom I applied jointly) sent me a picture of herself posing with her certificate on Saturday (23rd Sept 2017). So that was under 6 months and her entry on the register is dated 11th Septmber 2017.

I haven't received mine yet!

It was all sent off together using the same evidence for parent and our maternal grandmother who was born in Co Waterford in 1909.

Does anyone else have experience of delays with one but not the other application when sent jointly? Hopefully it's just the post!

remxs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by remxs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:59 pm

After the above post, my Certificate arrived today (26/09/2017). It was posted on 22nd Sept so the delay was probably nothing more than the vagaries of the UK postal system. The letter has a Dublin address but it was posted from the London Embassy in SW1.

The letter from Dublin has a lovely mixture of fonts and it is signed by a real person!

So that was a tiny bit less than 6 months with no queries about documentation and no contact made with either me, my sister (my joint applicant) or my witness.

In our favour, it was probably a straight-forward application as we had all the relevant certificates, there were no divorces, adoptions, etc. and my grandmother was born in the Republic of Ireland.

Happy days - off now to fill out my passport application!

Bluey105

Post by Bluey105 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:57 am

I sent mine off mid May, so it sounds like it could come sooner as I haven't heard anything from them and my submitted documents included a certified copy of my mother's Irish passport (acquired after my birth).

Fingers crossed!