ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS Surcharge for newborn in the UK

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RJLK

NHS Surcharge for newborn in the UK

Post by RJLK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi all,

I have tier 2 visa valid until April 2018 (8 more months).

I have a query regarding paying NHS surcharge for my newborn baby (born on 11 April 2017). I am aware that she doen not neet to get Tier 2 dependant visa if she is not travelling outside the UK. But what I confuse is whether do I need to pay £200 (for remaining 8 months) for NHS surcharge eventhough I dont apply for tier 2 dependant visa.

I have read that we need to pay NHS surcharge for newborn baby after three months to get free NHS service otherwise you will be charged for every GP/Hospital service.

Here is the phrases I have read recently,
"If you have paid the IHS, your baby will also be exempt from charges until s/he is three months’ old. After this time, your baby will be assessed in his/her own right for exemption or liability for NHS healthcare charges"

Thanks in advance.

Many thanks,
Raj..

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: NHS Surcharge for newborn in the UK

Post by Djsuccess » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:50 am

Hello,
Where did you get the statement from? Is it from official UKVi website?

I want to believe that payment of IHS comes with visa application. Not sure you can pay IHS alone without using it to apply for a visa.
I also think the rule about getting a visa and paying IHS after three months for children born in the UK just came to effect in August 2017. It is not not clear if this will affect children older than 3months before the rule came to effect.

There are a few cases here in this forum where the question has been addressed.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

RJLK

Post by RJLK » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks for your reply. I have got it by google search. I counld not get proper answer from UKBA website. Even I did not know the rule is effective from August 2017.
I have called UKBA and enquired about it. They said you have to pay if you are applying for visa. I have said about this statement then they have replied me that you have to check that with the NHS. So I am confused now? Please help me, is there anyone with this situation as I am in now?

Thanks.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:02 pm

What type of application are you making next? ILR or extension?
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

RJLK

Post by RJLK » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi,
Thats another big story. I have visa until 14 May 2018 (means job is until 30 April), and I am eligible to apply for ILR on 12 April 2018. So I have to get an extension from the same employer to get that "forseeable future " letter for ILR application. If I could not get extension I need to change the employer and get one year Tier 2 visa (maximum 6 years) and then apply for ILR with that employer's letter. Meanwhile my family can stay with old visa and as soon as I am granted ILR status I can apply for Tier 2 depandants visa (I have been told that I can get three years Tier 2 depandant visa even if I am granted ILR, no need to apply for ILR depandant as it will resets my family periods from day 1).

To cut the long story short, I will try to get ILR by the end of April and apply for naturalisation for my baby and tier 2 extension for my son and wife (their first entry was July 2015 so they will be eligible on June 2020 for ILR).

Thanks
Raj

RJLK

Post by RJLK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:53 am

Hi all,

Could anyone reply me please. Do I need to pay NHS surcharge for my baby (born on April 2017)?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:11 pm

IHS payment is payable when applying for a visa. It is not a standalone payment that can be made to 'cover' you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

RJLK

Post by RJLK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:27 pm

Thank you CR001. So as you said I dont need to pay NHS surcharge as I am not gonna apply Tier 2 dependant visa for my kid. Thanks a lot.

RJLK

Post by RJLK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:27 pm

Hi,

I have one more doubt if you could help me to clear out. I have visa until 14 May 2018 and so my depandants (only wife and son have visa, my daughter born in the UK). I can apply for ILR on or after 12 April 2018 (my first tier 2 leave to reamain visa issued on 10 May 2013). To get "foreseeable future" letter from my current employer, the job need to extended for atleast six months (currently it is upto 30 APril 2018). I am not sure whether my job can be extended and so I am looking to change the employer. In case if I get a new job, lets say January 2018,
1. Do I need to get a visa for my daughter, because I am changing the employer? Because I have that you no need to get a visa for newborn unless you travel outside the UK or getting new Tier 2 visa.
2. I konw my wife and son visas are valid until 14 May 2018 and no need to get 'change of employer' depandant visa. So I can apply for ILR premium application and once granted I can then apply for tier 2 depandants three years visa to complete their 5-years to get them ILR (not to get ILR depandant as it will change their validity period back to day 1). Am I right?
3. What happens if my ILR application is delayed, this will make my wife and son as overstayers. Is there a way to overcome this?

Thanks in advance.

RJLK

Post by RJLK » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Could anyone help me with my query please?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:17 pm

1. Do I need to get a visa for my daughter, because I am changing the employer? Because I have that you no need to get a visa for newborn unless you travel outside the UK or getting new Tier 2 visa.
No you don't.
2. I konw my wife and son visas are valid until 14 May 2018 and no need to get 'change of employer' depandant visa. So I can apply for ILR premium application and once granted I can then apply for tier 2 depandants three years visa to complete their 5-years to get them ILR (not to get ILR depandant as it will change their validity period back to day 1). Am I right?
Correct, switching to FLR(M) will reset their clock.
3. What happens if my ILR application is delayed, this will make my wife and son as overstayers. Is there a way to overcome this?
They must apply for an extension before their visas expired.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.