ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Gbejkar
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Child benefit

Post by Gbejkar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi
I have received my ILR 2 weeks ago.My husband is on Tier2 general visa (due for ILR in in 2019). Our 2 children are born in the UK and are in process of getting British citizenship and passport. My question is if I can claim child benefit without affecting my BC and my husband's ILR and BC in the future?
Thanks
Apologies if I am repeating the question but I came across posts with ILR and dependents but none with ILR and tier 2 visa holders as in my case!

CMOSUK
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Child benefit

Post by CMOSUK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:52 pm

Gbejkar wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:35 pm
Hi
I have received my ILR 2 weeks ago.My husband is on Tier2 general visa (due for ILR in in 2019). Our 2 children are born in the UK and are in process of getting British citizenship and passport. My question is if I can claim child benefit without affecting my BC
As a holder of ILR you are not subject to immigration control anymore, I think you are eligble and entitled to claim benefits without it affecting your British citizenship
and my husband's ILR and BC in the future?
Again, At this point your husband wouldn't be able to apply for benefits under his current visa category, but once he has ILR he would be entitled to as he would be free from Immigration control, as well as above, not affecting his British citizenship.
Thanks
Apologies if I am repeating the question but I came across posts with ILR and dependents but none with ILR and tier 2 visa holders as in my case!
you and your children are free from Immigration control as you all have ILR, but your husband would still have his immigration conditions bound to his Visa in which he must not breach.
I hope this help, if i'am incorrect at any point please feel free to correct me.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.

Gbejkar
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Gbejkar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks for the reply. Only I will be applying for child benefit for both children and not my husband. Will that be ok with regards to his future ILR application?
Thanks

CMOSUK
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by CMOSUK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Gbejkar wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:56 pm
Thanks for the reply. Only I will be applying for child benefit for both children and not my husband. Will that be ok with regards to his future ILR application?
Thanks
Again it is your entitlement and your children. My understanding is certain nationals on visa's other than ILR can claim some benefits. I would need to look that up and link it. But your husband on tier 2 has his own visa conditions and requirements that he must follow.

Again this shoudnt affect your husbands ILR unless he claims benefits in his own name if he isn't allowed to.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.

Gbejkar
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Gbejkar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:14 pm

Me and my children have an Indian passport. I hope that doesn't change anything. Thanks for the prompt replies. I will apply for child benefit asap.
Thanks once again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 am

Gbejkar wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:14 pm
Me and my children have an Indian passport. I hope that doesn't change anything. Thanks for the prompt replies. I will apply for child benefit asap.
Thanks once again!
If you have ILR, you are free to claim, regardless of what nationality/passport you hold.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.