ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married to naturalised citizen but separated.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nzshay

Married to naturalised citizen but separated.

Post by Nzshay » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi there,

Just asking for advice for a friend of ours who is looking at finally becoming a British Citizen. She is married to a naturalised citizen, but separated and has been for some time. She is resident in the Uk on ILR and has been for at least 5 years. What is the best pathway for her to apply for British Citizenship in her own right. She has a great relationship with her husband, despite being separated and not divorced. They do not live together.

My family and I have just applied (x5) today via NCS and JCAP. I'll do a separate timeline post if I can find September on the boards....

Any advice appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Married to naturalised citizen but separated.

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:09 pm

She can apply on either the 3 or 5 year route. 3 year route she needs husbands passport and she needs the marriage cert. Separated is fine as long as not divorced, if applying on spouse of BC 3 year route.

No difference between 3 (section6(2)) or 5 (section 6(1)) year route end result.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nzshay

Post by Nzshay » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks CR001.

I'll pass that on. Just one further question, does the AN form cover the applications under both those sections?

Thanks again.

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:43 pm

Nzshay wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:38 pm
Just one further question, does the AN form cover the applications under both those sections?
Yes it does.

Nzshay

Post by Nzshay » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks Tea_Rocket.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:52 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:09 pm
She can apply on either the 3 or 5 year route. 3 year route she needs husbands passport and she needs the marriage cert. Separated is fine as long as not divorced, if applying on spouse of BC 3 year route.

Spouses passport is not required for 3 year route- it's not obligatory for spouse to even have a passport. Other evidence of British citizenship should normally be acceptable. If spouse has a passport or naturalisation certificate but refuses to provide it- then it's a more difficult issue. In theory the Home Office could be told to go and look at their own records, but since naturalisation is discretionary they probably cannot be forced to do so.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.