ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No Retention of Citizenship (RSA) question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

CaptianWibbles
Newly Registered

No Retention of Citizenship (RSA) question

Post by CaptianWibbles » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi All,
I have recently aquired BC without applying for retention of Citizenship from the RSA home office. My Current RSA passport has expired and as such I am no longer able to renew it.

Will I have any issues entering the RSA on my British Passport, or am I required to prove my loss of Citizenship?

Cheers
Wibbles

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:55 pm

Captian,
No you will have no issuses entering SA on your new British passport, but if they are awake they will tell you have been striped of your SA nationality, so what!

But I do know of people who have entered SA on British passports and renewed SA passports in SA and then courier the passport back to the UK. Thats if you still want the Green Mamba.

CaptianWibbles
Newly Registered

Post by CaptianWibbles » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Siggi wrote:Captian,
No you will have no issuses entering SA on your new British passport, but if they are awake they will tell you have been striped of your SA nationality, so what!

But I do know of people who have entered SA on British passports and renewed SA passports in SA and then courier the passport back to the UK. Thats if you still want the Green Mamba.
Hey Siggi,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I figured as much but it never hurts to be sure. As for the Green Mamba, I don't have a use for it. That and the questionable 4 month wait to renew from the UK makes it a hassle at best.

Thanks again for your help.

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:12 pm

They probably wont even look carefully enough at your passport to notice the South African place of birth. My son has returned to SA twice using his UK passport without a word from customs.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:08 am

Siggi wrote:Captian,

It would be an invalid passport if they did that, as they would no longer be South African citizens.

(unless they had legally re-acquired South African citizenship).

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:23 pm

JAJ
You are right but it's a South African thing been illegal!

pumkin

Re: No Retention of Citizenship (RSA) question

Post by pumkin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:54 pm

CaptianWibbles wrote:Hi All,
I have recently aquired BC without applying for retention of Citizenship from the RSA home office. My Current RSA passport has expired and as such I am no longer able to renew it.

Will I have any issues entering the RSA on my British Passport, or am I required to prove my loss of Citizenship?

Cheers
Wibbles
Don't take a chance with travelling on a foreign passport. They are looking out for this type of thing and you can be jailed or experience many hours of delays, especially if over a weekend. My husband never applied for retention and we knew he had lost his SA citizenship. All we did was went to SA House, they cancelled his passport and gave him a letter to put into his British Passport, so that if they ask questions, he can produce the letter which states that he is no longer a citizen.