ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Naturalisation and 10 years of employment records

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

faughan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

UK Naturalisation and 10 years of employment records

Post by faughan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:01 pm

I'm going to apply for PR, but I'm going to wait until May 2018 so I'll have 5 years of continuously employment. Anyway, I was looking for the requirements for naturalisation. It seems I have to proof my past ten years. The thing is, I moved to England in 2007 and then to Northern Ireland in 2010. Can anyone advise me if these documents will be proof enough to show that I lived in England during those 3 years?

- May 2007: Certificate from the Spanish embassy stating that I registered with them days after I arrived in the UK.
- May 2007: Contract of renting a room in a shared house.
- April 2008: P60 with my address.
- Nov 2008 - Feb 2009: I'm still in touch with my landlord who rented me a room in his house during this period and could ask him for a letter if necessary. Would it be valid and useful?
- 2009: Studied an ESOL course. In my certificates it says Trinity College London. I guess I could to the school in Liverpool to issue me a letter stating that I attended classes there?
- Several dates of 2009: Letters from the NHS.
- March 2010: Certificate of a course of the Lifelong Learning centre of the University of Liverpool.

Also, during my first 3 years I barely worked. I came with enough savings, lived off my savings and never claimed benefits during that time. My intention was to learn English + experience other culture, travel and then come back home. I never intended to moved to Northern Ireland instead, but was offered a job here... Could I be rejected for having done only 12 months work during my first 3 years living off my savings?

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK Naturalisation and 10 years of employment records

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:19 pm

You are required to LIST 10 years EMPLOYMENT in the form. It is not asking you about living in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

faughan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by faughan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:45 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:19 pm
You are required to LIST 10 years EMPLOYMENT in the form. It is not asking you about living in the UK.
Thanks! Therefore I have no chance of applying for naturalisation yet. I'll need to wait for another three years to apply.

Is there any point in applying for PR considering I don't qualify for naturalisation yet?

Thanks again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:52 am

You are misunderstanding the question in the form. You do not have to have 10 years employment to apply for citizenship. Not everyone does especially applicants who have been here for less time, as the question states.

If you have 10 years emoyment list iy. If you dont then simply list what you have.

Employment is not mabdatory for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

faughan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by faughan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:14 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:52 am
You are misunderstanding the question in the form. You do not have to have 10 years employment to apply for citizenship. Not everyone does especially applicants who have been here for less time, as the question states.

If you have 10 years emoyment list iy. If you dont then simply list what you have.

Employment is not mabdatory for citizenship.
Thanks again for your answer. Yes, I have been in the country since May 2007, so just above the ten years now. I wasn't sure if my naturalisation could be rejected for not having ten years of employment. I don't have criminal records, nor even a have a traffic fine, so I guess I should be ok. I've a UK degree, so I guess that should cover the English language bit and I'm already studying towards the Life in the UK test. I'm trying to find out information about the most common causes for refusal, just to be sure before I apply. I don't want to waste so much money... Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Common causes of refusal are as follows :

1. Exceeding the absence limit in the 5 years immediately preceding the date of application and the 12 months immediately preceding the date of application (or 3 years if married to a British Citizen)

2. Not being physically present in the UK at the start of the 5 years immediately preceding date of application, and they mean 'to the date exactly' (or 3 years if married to a British Citizen).

3. Not meeting the English requirement or LIUK, which you do with a UK degree and you are doing LIUK.

4. Not meeting the Good character requirement.

5. Not having PR for 12 months (if not married to a British citizen).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

faughan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by faughan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:38 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:25 pm
Common causes of refusal are as follows :

1. Exceeding the absence limit in the 5 years immediately preceding the date of application and the 12 months immediately preceding the date of application (or 3 years if married to a British Citizen)

2. Not being physically present in the UK at the start of the 5 years immediately preceding date of application, and they mean 'to the date exactly' (or 3 years if married to a British Citizen).

3. Not meeting the English requirement or LIUK, which you do with a UK degree and you are doing LIUK.

4. Not meeting the Good character requirement.

5. Not having PR for 12 months (if not married to a British citizen).
Thank you! I think I should be ok. Since May 2007 I've only been outside the UK for 3 holidays of 5 - 10 days and don't plan to go outside the UK, and if I do, it won't be more of a week holidays per year. I guess the Good character is based on Criminal Records, bankruptcy, debts, traffic fines, etc. and fortunately have none of those. I didn't know that I'm going to have to wait 12 months after getting my PR. If the HO needs further docs or clarify any information, I guess they will contact me, rather than reject my application. Thanks for that.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:43 pm

I didn't know that I'm going to have to wait 12 months after getting my PR.
The date you 'attain PR' is different and earlier than the 'date on PR card'. You will likely get a letter stating the date PR was 'attained automatically' and this is the relevant date to count the 12 months (unless married to a British citizen, then this is not relevant).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

faughan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by faughan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:45 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:43 pm
I didn't know that I'm going to have to wait 12 months after getting my PR.
The date you 'attain PR' is different and earlier than the 'date on PR card'. You will likely get a letter stating the date PR was 'attained automatically' and this is the relevant date to count the 12 months (unless married to a British citizen, then this is not relevant).
No, I'm not married. Thank you!