ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HO visit/raid confusion

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

HO visit/raid confusion

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:09 pm

Hello,

I applied for my tier 1 extension in december 2016 and still awaiting decision.

A lot of recent discussion/confusion is going on regarding HO random raids/visits.

Sometimes its unannounced and sometimes they are sending an email or phone call with a very short notice.

In my case I got a call from home office on Monday the 11th September 2017 and they visited me 12th September 2017.

NOTE: The call was from a UK mobile number!!! (Surprising enough?!?)

The interview lasted for 2.5/3hrs.

I read a post where someone posted it took him 4 hours. Whatever he mentioned was correct because I went through the same long questionnaire what he had already mentioned.

All the people waiting for their visas should be expecting an unannounced visit.

They are not the case worker. Basically they are third party home office employees who come to gather more information and make interview notes and then send that to the case worker.

The whole waiting process has been quite stressful as for many are in the same boat.

All the best!

nasiaziz
Member of Standing

Re: HO visit/raid confusion

Post by nasiaziz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:20 am

hi
if you applied in december 2016 was you called for an interview where you normally go to their specified location and its on skype before this one where they came to your premises? or was this the only communication since you applied last year?
thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:11 am

This is not surprising at all. The Tier 1E route has been heavily abused and I personally witnessed many on this forum very openly admit to the fact that they are not genuine entrepreneurs :? HO compliance visits generally happen when they have some suspicion and received evidence/intelligence against the applicant
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:25 am

nasiaziz wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:20 am
hi
if you applied in december 2016 was you called for an interview where you normally go to their specified location and its on skype before this one where they came to your premises? or was this the only communication since you applied last year?
thanks
This was the first interview, have not been to any skype interview before. I did get a complex letter just after 3 weeks of my application around 19th of january 2017 since then there was silence. I assumed it was the generic letter which HO was sending to everyone though.
Last edited by CULLINAN on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:33 am

zimba88 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:11 am
This is not surprising at all. The Tier 1E route has been heavily abused and I personally witnessed many on this forum very openly admit to the fact that they are not genuine entrepreneurs :? HO compliance visits generally happen when they have some suspicion and received evidence/intelligence against the applicant
You are correct. But I assume now they have shifted their policy from taking skype interviews to unannounced visits.
Unannounced or short notice visits will eliminate the possibility of fraudaulent applications.

I am among one of the lucky ones who back in 2014 got my tier 1 initial in 10 days. But with my extension I am among the unlucky ones who have been waiting since last 8.5 months!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 am

tier11417 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:33 am
You are correct. But I assume now they have shifted their policy from taking skype interviews to unannounced visits.
Unannounced or short notice visits will eliminate the possibility of fraudaulent applications.
It is tough to connect the dots and make a general rule as each Tier 1E application is unique.
Apart from few reports of compliance visits here on this forum, most applicants received their extensions even without any interview.
Also remember that it is more likely for odd cases to be reported on this forum to seek advice. Also some of these applicants do not necessarily disclose the full details of their cases or circumstances.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:47 am

zimba88 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 am
tier11417 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:33 am
It is tough to connect the dots and make a general rule as each Tier 1E application is unique.
Apart from few reports of compliance visits here on this forum, most applicants received their extensions even without any interview.
Also remember that it is more likely for odd cases to be reported on this forum to seek advice. Also some of these applicants do not necessarily disclose the full details of their cases or circumstances.
Also I wonder what percentage of people who applied for tier1 extension are actually posting on this forum.
Probably even less than 10%?
You are correct you cant stereotype that everyone will be treated the same way just for the fact that a very less percentage of the tier 1 extension lot share their experience here.

Having said that, the 4/5 people who reported HO visit at premises have applied for extension at quite later months than I did in december 2016.

So just a speculation that since late august 2017 they have changed their procedure of taking interviews.

Momi
United Kingdom

Post by Momi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:51 am

Did they ask for extra documents?
What questions they are asking?

Kiki2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Kiki2 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:23 am

Did they come to your home or business address? How many people came?

heyaheya
Member of Standing

Post by heyaheya » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:59 am

tier11417 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:09 pm
Hello,

I applied for my tier 1 extension in december 2016 and still awaiting decision.

A lot of recent discussion/confusion is going on regarding HO random raids/visits.

Sometimes its unannounced and sometimes they are sending an email or phone call with a very short notice.

In my case I got a call from home office on Monday the 11th September 2017 and they visited me 12th September 2017.

NOTE: The call was from a UK mobile number!!! (Surprising enough?!?)

The interview lasted for 2.5/3hrs.

I read a post where someone posted it took him 4 hours. Whatever he mentioned was correct because I went through the same long questionnaire what he had already mentioned.

All the people waiting for their visas should be expecting an unannounced visit.

They are not the case worker. Basically they are third party home office employees who come to gather more information and make interview notes and then send that to the case worker.

The whole waiting process has been quite stressful as for many are in the same boat.

All the best!
hi i m sorry fo ur long waiting.. hope all goes well with u .. do u mind sharing the question they asked and what they were looking for what kind of business u have.. so ppl who are going to have intervieew at thr premises can get sm help.. i know its same as others.. but still maybe smthing different.. which will help them .. u know what i mean.. hope u receive ur result soon.. take care.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Momi wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:51 am
Yes they did. I have a feeling that the main purpose of gathering more information is to check if the business is genuine. Also I had a feeling that they asked me a lot of questions regarding the whole application already submitted as if they want to match the details.
The questions were based on everything:
1) Full immigation history. Exact details and dates.
2) Education history. University names.
3) Funding. Where from, when, how the money was brought in UK
4) business details
5) employee details
6) position in the company
7) role in the company
8. employee role
9) employee rights
10) business insurances
11) sales and prurchase invoices
12) previous clients
13) future clients
14) advertisement
15) financials of the business
16) expenditures of the business
17) VAT certificate
18) Any HMRC documentation
19) Filing history
20) Taxes
21) Accountant details
22) employee contracts
23) employee passport copy
24) employee CV
25) how did I find the employee
26) business operations
27) employee names and address

Basically you can say that they ask the full details about the application form submitted and business details.
There is a set questionnaire for every one i assume. But then every business is different and they do a lot of counter questions.

I suppose you have to make up a plausible story to justify that and how much you can convince them. But then they asked me to prove everything what i said with documentation. Like purchase and sale invoices etc.

Having said all that. My business is registered on my home address so maybe thats why they grilled me more.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 pm

Kiki2 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:23 am
They came to my home address as thats where my company is registered.

They were 2 officers. I assume they have to be atleast two because one has to be the witness. 85% of the questions were asked only by 1 officer but the other assissted her in counter questioning or 15% of questions of her own.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:39 pm

tier11417 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:26 pm
Momi wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:51 am
Yes they did. I have a feeling that the main purpose of gathering more information is to check if the business is genuine. Also I had a feeling that they asked me a lot of questions regarding the whole application already submitted as if they want to match the details.
The questions were based on everything:
1) Full immigation history. Exact details and dates.
2) Education history. University names.
3) Funding. Where from, when, how the money was brought in UK
4) business details
5) employee details
6) position in the company
7) role in the company
8. employee role
9) employee rights
10) business insurances
11) sales and prurchase invoices
12) previous clients
13) future clients
14) advertisement
15) financials of the business
16) expenditures of the business
17) VAT certificate
18) Any HMRC documentation
19) Filing history
20) Taxes
21) Accountant details
22) employee contracts
23) employee passport copy
24) employee CV
25) how did I find the employee
26) business operations
27) employee names and address
28) hourly rate i pay
29) how i pay them
30) how much i pay them
31) prove advertisement costs
32) where i got website made
33) how much i paid
34) exact details of the company who made it

35) and much more. For now this is what i can remember. I will update the post and add additional stuff if i remember more

It was 2.5/3hrs non stop!!!

Basically you can say that they ask the full details about the application form submitted and business details.
There is a set questionnaire for every one i assume. But then every business is different and they do a lot of counter questions.

I suppose you have to make up a plausible story to justify that and how much you can convince them. But then they asked me to prove everything what i said with documentation. Like purchase and sale invoices etc.

Having said all that. My business is registered on my home address so maybe thats why they grilled me more.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:08 pm

35) relevant experience in the field
36) where i worked before tier 1 on my PSW visa
37) what work experience i have back home
38) what education i have
39) is my education relevant to the business
40) lease agreement of the house
41) when i moved to this address
42) exact dates and proof
43) works pension scheme
44) how many days my employees are allowed holidays in one year
45) checked my UK license for my own details name address and DOB

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 pm

@Kiki2

I am not sure if they called me on my mobile number or business landline as my business landline is also diverted to my mobile. I cant be sure of that until I get the next month's bill.

hina_pirzada
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by hina_pirzada » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi did you apply yourself or through solicitor?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:27 pm

hina_pirzada wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:06 pm
Hi did you apply yourself or through solicitor?
Myself

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:38 pm

@zimba88

Hello zimba88

I am new to this forum so I am not sure if I should be posting this here.

But I have a question if you could please advise.

If God forbid something goes wrong, I do understand that one can go for AR within 2 weeks.
If AR is unsuccessful can apply for second application.

1) Once AR is refused after first application does your section 3c ends?
2) Once you apply for second application can one switch to some other tier without breaking your continous stay for ILR?
3) How much time do you usually get to leave the country? If someone is here for 7/8 years there are a lot of commitments contracts business wind up etc? What is the procedure then.
Just for the worst case scenerio!

Any advice from any member or zimba88 will be appreciated.

Thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:45 am

1) Once AR is refused after first application does your section 3c ends?
Yes
2) Once you apply for second application can one switch to some other tier without breaking your continous stay for ILR?
Only If you apply for a your 2nd application within 14 days of AR refusal and then the 2nd application is eventually successful
3) How much time do you usually get to leave the country? If someone is here for 7/8 years there are a lot of commitments contracts business wind up etc? What is the procedure then.
Just for the worst case scenerio!
Any overstaying period over 30 days leads to at least a year re entry ban to the UK

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:20 am

@zimba88

Thank you very much for your valuable and prompt answer.

I have a situation please can you let me know my options.

I am married since last 8 months now in UK. My wife has a refugee status in UK and is due to apply for ILR in 3 weeks that is start of October. (Completing her 5 years)

I know ILR application can take upto 6 months.

We only have our religious marriage done. Have not registered our marriage under UK law as yet.

Ideally I want to stay on my tier 1 visa (I pray i get it!) as I have been in UK since 2010 and swicthing to spouse visa will result in the ILR counter to start from zero (please correct me if I am wrong).

Given the uncertainty of the tier 1 extension, in worst case scenerio what options do I have to switch to spouse visa? Can my wife sponsor me? Can i switch to spouse visa while my second application is in process? Will that break my continous residency for ILR purpose? What are the requirements in this case?

What will be my options in this particular scenerio?

Any advice from zimba88 or any member will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

sheffieldrana

Post by sheffieldrana » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:03 am

tier11417 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 pm
Kiki2 wrote:

They were 2 officers. I assume they have to be atleast two because one has to be the witness. 85% of the questions were asked only by 1 officer but the other assissted her in counter questioning or 15% of questions of her own.
Hi,
Did your employees were their in the time of interview?
If yes- did they interviewd them as well? And what questioned they asked your employees?
If Not- did they asked about employees ? Where are they? Or why they are not in the office?
Thank you

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:07 am

sheffieldrana wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:03 am
tier11417 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 pm
Kiki2 wrote:

Hi,
Did your employees were their in the time of interview?
If yes- did they interviewd them as well? And what questioned they asked your employees?
If Not- did they asked about employees ? Where are they? Or why they are not in the office?
Thank you
The business nature is that my employee works from home but justifying that was difficult. Hence why i was grilled more!

Momi
United Kingdom

Post by Momi » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:58 am

tier11417 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:20 am
@zimba88

I am married since last 8 months now in UK. My wife has a refugee status in UK and is due to apply for ILR in 3 weeks that is start of October. (Completing her 5 years)

We only have our religious marriage done. Have not registered our marriage under UK law as yet.

Ideally I want to stay on my tier 1 visa (I pray i get it!) as I have been in UK since 2010 and swicthing to spouse visa will result in the ILR counter to start from zero (please correct me if I am wrong).

Given the uncertainty of the tier 1 extension, in worst case scenerio what options do I have to switch to spouse visa? Can my wife sponsor me? Can i switch to spouse visa while my second application is in process? Will that break my continous residency for ILR purpose? What are the requirements in this case?

Thank you
If I'm on your place I will go for spouse visa. You have already completed 8 years. Now you only need 2 years to complete 10 years.
Sort your documents for spouse visa.
Switching or varying your application will not break 3C.
Where you base in uk?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:52 am

tier11417 wrote:
@zimba88

Thank you
This is not the correct sub forum to ask spouse visa questions. Please post such questions in the Immigration for Family Members (click) sub forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:15 pm

Momi wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:58 am
tier11417 wrote:
@zimba88

Thank you
If I'm on your place I will go for spouse visa. You have already completed 8 years. Now you only need 2 years to complete 10 years.
Sort your documents for spouse visa.
Switching or varying your application will not break 3C.
Where you base in uk?

Thank you for your reply.

I am based in london.

I have shifted this question in the relevant sub forum for further discussion as advised.