ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying new born baby UK passport with Dads expired Indian passport(valid ILR)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tarun027
Newly Registered

Applying new born baby UK passport with Dads expired Indian passport(valid ILR)

Post by Tarun027 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi experts,
My daughtet is 15 days old born in UK and I have got ILR and now infact waiting on my naturalization application which I applied 3 months ago. My indian passport expired an week ago. Can I apply for my daughter UK passport with my expired indian passport and ILR card to claim her UK citizenship or should I renew my passport (which is useless spending as I am not gonna travel to india soon and can wait for my naturalization letter).
I need to apply for my daughtet passport ASAP as she need to travel to india soon with her mum ( mum is on dependants visa, not ILR).
Please advise experts that is valid passport required or just my ILR will be sufficient to get my daughter passport. Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Regards.

Tarun027
Newly Registered

Re: Applying new born baby UK passport with Dads expired Indian passport(valid ILR)

Post by Tarun027 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Someone please help me here..
Thanks.

Tarun027
Newly Registered

Re: Applying new born baby UK passport with Dads expired Indian passport(valid ILR)

Post by Tarun027 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Can someone please reply. Thank you.

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:37 pm

Passport application booklet, page 14, Table A:
Apply for a passport, page 14 wrote:Applicants born or adopted in the UK – parents’ or adoptive parents’ details.
To support your claim to British nationality, please provide evidence under either 1 or 2. We need to see:
  1. Evidence of one of your parents’ claim to British nationality at the time of your birth
    • their British passport number (provided in Section 4 of the application form) or
    • full birth certificate, or
    • certificate of registration or naturalisation, and
    • if this is your father, also provide his marriage certificate to your mother. (This does not apply for those born or adopted on or after 1 July 2006 or same-sex adoptions.)
  2. Evidence of one of your parents’ immigration status in the UK at the time of your birth
    • their passport at the time of your birth, and
    • if this is your father, also provide his marriage certificate to your mother. (This does not apply for those born or adopted on or after 1 July 2006 or same-sex adoptions.)
So based on that, I would say that you should send your expired passport (and BRP showing your ILR status, even though they don't specify it). Given that your naturalisation application will probably be decided in the next month or two, you should apply for your daughter's passport as soon as possible, while you still have the original BRP showing your immigration status at the time of her birth.

As I'm sure you know, you have to send your BRP card back within 5 days of attending your citizenship ceremony. You should get a certified copy of it made (the Post Office have a document certification service) before you send it back, in case you ever need to provide proof of your immigration status at the time of your daughter's birth again. It might be years before you need it, (or you may never need it at all), but better safe than sorry. There are a number of people who have written on this forum about being unable to prove they're UK citizens at birth because the documentation of their parents' status has been lost.

Tarun027
Newly Registered

Post by Tarun027 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks for your tìme and reply.. so just to confirm, sending my expired passport with ILR card will not lead to denial of my baby's UK citizenship application right?

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:27 am

Given the Passport Office's own requirement that you send in the passport you had a the time of your daughter's birth (plus the other pieces of evidence like your BRP and her birth certificate), I'd say they'd be more likely to reject it if you renewed your passport and sent that in.

However, no one on this forum can guantee that the application will be accepted. The best I can tell you is that this application sounds straightforward and I can't see any reason why it would be rejected.