ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC invitation finally arrived - thank you

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tommitchell82
Newly Registered

Time to apply for BC

Post by Tommitchell82 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:58 am

Dear Members,

First, thank you very much for your valuable advice to me in the past.

I have obtained ILR based on Long Residence, yesterday 16th September 2017. I am now planning to apply for British Citizenship but slightly confused regarding earliest time I can make an application. My wife is a British citizen and lives with me in the UK. I have read the guidlines and previous posts in this forum but I am still unsure about this.

1. Can I apply as soon as I get my ILR card or do I have to wait for 3 months? or 12 months? Obviously my ILR is based on Long Residence and not based on my marriage and that's why I am confused about this.

2. What's the most recommended/ fastest way of making an application? individual application? or NCS?

I would be most thankful for advice from senior and experienced memebers.

Many thanks.

secret.simon

Re: Time to apply for BC

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 am

You can apply immediately after getting your ILR.

If you apply through NCS, they check that your documentation is in order and you get to retain your passport and BRP, so you can travel while your citizenship application is in progress. You can also apply for your British passport concurrently.

If you apply directly via post, you will need to send in your passport and BRP for the duration of the decision of the application, for which there is no time limit.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Tommitchell82
Newly Registered

Re: Time to apply for BC

Post by Tommitchell82 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:58 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 am
You can apply immediately after getting your ILR.

If you apply through NCS, they check that your documentation is in order and you get to retain your passport and BRP, so you can travel while your citizenship application is in progress. You can also apply for your British passport concurrently.

If you apply directly via post, you will need to send in your passport and BRP for the duration of the decision of the application, for which there is no time limit.
Thank you so much Secret Simon for a clear and succinct advice. Very much appreciated.

Tommitchell82
Newly Registered

BC invitation finally arrived - thank you

Post by Tommitchell82 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:02 am

Dear All,

I have finally received my BC invitation yesterday and with that I end my UK immigration journey which lasted 10 years, 4 months and 9 days.
Although I only had few posts/queries on the forum but reading through the experiences of other users with similar circumstances and the advice they were getting was truly a major advantage.
Most likely, this will be my last post here and I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum, moderators and members, for their guidance and advice throughout the years. You have been a great great help.

Good luck to everyone !

Best wishes.