ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

belgian resident relocating to UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

coco_000
Newly Registered

belgian resident relocating to UK

Post by coco_000 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi everybody!

can someone give me an advice on this one? My nationality is russian and I've been living in Belgium for the past 5 years. My belgian ID is called 'yellow card' which gives me an indefinite (unlimited) right to stay in Belgium. With this document I am not allowed to leave Belgium for more than 1 year, otherwise I will loose all the resident rights. Now, after finishing my studies this year, I would like to relocate to the UK. Could you tell me what's the best way to do it?

Thanx :D

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:36 pm

Think u'll need either Belgian citizenship to relocate under EU rules or a UK visa under ur own merits such as Work Permit/HSMP etc

Udachi tebe!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:48 pm

I believe that you only need to have lived in Belgium for three years to apply for citizenship. They permit new citizens to maintain their previous nationality if they so choose, and there is no fee for naturalisation.

With all that in mind, what's stopping you from taking out Belgian citizenship when immigrating to the UK as a non-EU/EEA is so ridiculously complicated/expensive?

More info here:

http://www.diplomatie.be/fr/services/na ... TEXTID=734

(see the right hand side: "Comment devenir belge?")

JAJ
Australia

Re: belgian resident relocating to UK

Post by JAJ » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:23 pm

coco_000 wrote:Hi everybody!

can someone give me an advice on this one? My nationality is russian and I've been living in Belgium for the past 5 years. My belgian ID is called 'yellow card' which gives me an indefinite (unlimited) right to stay in Belgium. With this document I am not allowed to leave Belgium for more than 1 year, otherwise I will loose all the resident rights. Now, after finishing my studies this year, I would like to relocate to the UK. Could you tell me what's the best way to do it?

Thanx :D
Not only will you lose your resident rights if you leave Belgium, but your Belgian residence gives you no rights in the U.K.

Can you become a Belgian citizen?

coco_000
Newly Registered

Post by coco_000 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi guys! thanks for your replies :D

yes, RobinLondon, indeed you're right - i can become a belgian citizen and i've already applied for naturalisation. but unfortunatelly i have no control of the bureaucratic system over here. I applied about 10 months ago, my request has been processing - that's what i've been told. Some people told me it took 3 years for them to get a final reply ( however, under normal circumstances, it cannot take longer than 18 months ).

So, probably the only way to do it would be indeed with work permit...

Cheers everybody! :D

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm

coco_000 wrote:Hi guys! thanks for your replies :D

yes, RobinLondon, indeed you're right - i can become a belgian citizen and i've already applied for naturalisation. but unfortunatelly i have no control of the bureaucratic system over here. I applied about 10 months ago, my request has been processing - that's what i've been told. Some people told me it took 3 years for them to get a final reply ( however, under normal circumstances, it cannot take longer than 18 months ).

So, probably the only way to do it would be indeed with work permit...

Why not just wait until you get your Belgian citizenship?

If you abandon your status now, are you happy to go back to Russia if things don't work out in the U.K.? (because that is the only place you will be able to go).

And even if things do work out in Britain, it will be a long time before you get British citizenship.