ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

want to get married during T1 extension

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Eva217
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

want to get married during T1 extension

Post by Eva217 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:31 am

Hi dear all, Thanks for visiting.

Here is my situation, I am under T1E extension at moment. Have no idea how long I can get my passport and visa back. It takes so long probably 5-6 months, even a year according to the T1E extension forums.

Now I have a question which is, I want to get married with my boyfriend. Does anybody know what could I do under this situation? Millions thanks!

Forgot to mention, My boyfriend holds NON-UK/EU passport.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: want to get married during T1 extension

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:37 am

Do you mean he is an EU citizen but not a UK citizen??

You need your passport to give notice to marry.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Eva217
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Eva217 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Thanks your reply dear. He holds China passport.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:07 pm

And what is his current UK visa status?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Eva217
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Eva217 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:25 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:07 pm
And what is his current UK visa status?
He is PR now

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Do you mean he has ILR under the UK Immigration Rules, or PR under EEA Regulations :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Eva217
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Eva217 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Casa wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:29 pm
Do you mean he has ILR under the UK Immigration Rules, or PR under EEA Regulations :?:
yes. He holds China passport and UK ILR.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Assuming the HO return your passport, you will have to give notice to marry with a HO designated Registry Office. The Registrar is then legally bound to notify the HO of your intention to marry and they can then extend the notification period from 28 to 70 days in order to interview you both before the marriage can go ahead, should they choose to do so.

When does your current visa expire?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Eva217
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Eva217 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Casa wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:44 pm
Assuming the HO return your passport, you will have to give notice to marry with a HO designated Registry Office. The Registrar is then legally bound to notify the HO of your intention to marry and they can then extend the notification period from 28 to 70 days in order to interview you both before the marriage can go ahead, should they choose to do so.

When does your current visa expire?
Thanks for your reply dear Casa.

My previous visa has expired in June. I am under T1 extension at moment. Don't know if the new visa will be granted or not and when.

If I write a letter to HO to ask for returning my passport, will it affect my current visa extension? If HO return my passport, do I also need a visa when marriage registration.

I checked gov.uk. It doesn't clearly say if need both of passport and U.K. Visa. I also asked people, but got different answers, some say both of them, some say only passport is fine. So confused...

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:14 pm

If you don't hold valid leave in the UK when you register your intent to marry and the HO decide to interview you both, you risk being detained when you attend the interview.

Without a valid visa, you will be unable to switch to a spouse visa from within the UK, if this is your intention.
(Casa, not CR001)

Eva217
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Eva217 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Casa wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:14 pm
If you don't hold valid leave in the UK when you register your intent to marry and the HO decide to interview you both, you risk being detained when you attend the interview.

Without a valid visa, you will be unable to switch to a spouse visa from within the UK, if this is your intention.
Thanks Casa!

I dont want to switch my visa from T1 to spouse. It is only want to get married.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:58 pm

I am kind of in the same situation!

I have heard that you can request an attested copy of your passport from the HO which will be valid for the registry purpose.

(Please correct me if I am wrong)

But that might help you!