ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

non EEA Family member, best form to use?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bselinax
Newly Registered

non EEA Family member, best form to use?

Post by Bselinax » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Dear all,

My dad is an Asian born EEA national living in UK for the past 5 years. His mother and brother were living back home (non EEA country) and were dependent on him. Because they were dependent on him he decided to bring them to UK. His brother was 16 at the time of application so both of them received entry visa as EEA family member. Now they are on 5 years residence card. Now, my dad's brother wants to get married to his girlfriend back home (non EEA country) but if he does get married before he receives EEA PR (he will be applying in 2020) what form would he use to bring his spouse here after the wedding being celebrated back home?

He is a non EEA family member, so which form would he filling to bring his spouse in the UK?

Thank you

secret.simon

Re: non EEA Family member, best form to use?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:03 pm

Your father's non-EEA brother cannot sponsor his wife.

Your father's sister-in-law will have to apply as an extended family member of your father. To do that, she will have to prove that she is dependent on him in her home country or was a member of the same household as him in the home country.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Bselinax
Newly Registered

Post by Bselinax » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:56 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:03 pm
Your father's non-EEA brother cannot sponsor his wife.

Your father's sister-in-law will have to apply as an extended family member of your father. To do that, she will have to prove that she is dependent on him in her home country or was a member of the same household as him in the home country.

Thank you. So this means non EEA family members do not have right to sponsor their partners even if they are working full time and earning enough to sponsor the partner?
My dad won't be able to sponsor anyone for the time being, so this means my uncle will have to wait to naturalise as British before sponsoring/marrying back home, is that right?

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Bselinax wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:56 pm
Thank you. So this means non EEA family members do not have right to sponsor their partners even if they are working full time and earning enough to sponsor the partner?
Correct. The free movement directive is for the benefit of EEA nationals. Taking care of their families when things go wrong is part of the arrangement.
Bselinax wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:56 pm
My dad won't be able to sponsor anyone for the time being, so this means my uncle will have to wait to naturalise as British before sponsoring/marrying back home, is that right?
Not quite, he merely needs to achieve settled status, which normally takes 5 years, as opposed to waiting longer for naturalisation.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Richard W wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:59 pm
Not quite, he merely needs to achieve settled status, which normally takes 5 years, as opposed to waiting longer for naturalisation.
Whether as a settled person with PR or as a British citizen, your uncle will need to sponsor his wife under the much more demanding UK Immigration Rules, not the EEA Regulations, as he himself is not an EEA national.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.