ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Nickgooner80
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Moving to Ireland

Post by Nickgooner80 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi,

I have just submitted my Foreign Birth Registration to begin the process of becoming an Irish Citizen. My wife is of a similar descent through Grandparents and will be doing the same.

Unfortunately we did not do this prior to our children being born, but assuming that both my wife and I are successful in our application, should we ever wish to move to Ireland would our children be allowed residency as UK nationals. Its not something I can find an answer for, complicated by Brexit no doubt.

Thanks for reading, grateful for any advice.

Nick

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Moving to Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:34 pm

I wouldn't worry, due to nigh on 900 years of being welded together as a Lordship, a country, a member of the commonwealth and now the CTA the UK and Ireland are bed-fellows, more in love than ever before...

I'm a Brit, living in Ireland, not considered a foreigner for immigration purposes, can vote, can use HSE (NHS), can retire here without question, nothing to do with the EU.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Nickgooner80
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Nickgooner80 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Cheers, that's reassuring to know. I did feel a tinge of regret not doing this before they were born but of course Brexit moves the goal posts.

Thanks for the reply

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:02 am

British citizens have the right to reside in the Republic of Ireland under domestic Irish immigration rules- as well as under the EEA regulations.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... izens.html

British withdrawal from the EU/EEA does not in itself change the domestic immigration rules, although the Irish government could change these at a future date. That is unlikely as long as the United Kingdom grants similar privileges to Irish citizens.

British citizens resident in the Republic of Ireland may apply for naturalisation as Irish citizens after meeting standard residence requirements. There may be scope for flexibility (on naturalisation requirements) for British citizen children of Irish citizen parents who have settled in the Republic of Ireland but these cases are relatively unusual and there is not a published policy of which I am aware.
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP16000022
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Nickgooner80
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Nickgooner80 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:25 am

JAJ wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:02 am
British citizens have the right to reside in the Republic of Ireland under domestic Irish immigration rules- as well as under the EEA regulations.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... izens.html

British withdrawal from the EU/EEA does not in itself change the domestic immigration rules, although the Irish government could change these at a future date. That is unlikely as long as the United Kingdom grants similar privileges to Irish citizens.

British citizens resident in the Republic of Ireland may apply for naturalisation as Irish citizens after meeting standard residence requirements. There may be scope for flexibility (on naturalisation requirements) for British citizen children of Irish citizen parents who have settled in the Republic of Ireland but these cases are relatively unusual and there is not a published policy of which I am aware.
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP16000022
Thanks @JAJ really helpful and reassuring information