ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

spousal visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ron jeremy
Newly Registered

spousal visa

Post by ron jeremy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:04 am

I am South African,and came to UK on a working holiday visa,which runs out the 10th of April.I've been living with my bf for about 15 months and we've been together altogether,20 months.I'll be going back to SA end of March and my bf will be coming with me.
We've both been stressing because we don't want to be apart and our only option is to get married.We've looked into the unmarried couples visa,but that wont work because of the 2yr living together rule.
My question is,Would it be easier to get married here in the UK,and if so,could I come back as a visitor,then do it that way.
Some advise would be greatly appreciated.
thank you!
Renee

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:44 am

BF's nationality?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:59 am

An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ron jeremy
Newly Registered

spousal visa

Post by ron jeremy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Sorry that i was so un clear.My boyfriend is Scottish,well,he was born there and grew up there,but he holds an Irish passport,does that make any difference?his been living in the UK his whole life.
my other question is,if I come here as a tourist,will i be able to get married and change my status to a spousal visa over here in the UK after getting married here,keeping in mind that I'm S African,meaning,I don't need a tourist visa.
Thanks

JAJ
Australia

Re: spousal visa

Post by JAJ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:47 pm

ron jeremy wrote:Sorry that i was so un clear.My boyfriend is Scottish,well,he was born there and grew up there,but he holds an Irish passport,does that make any difference?his been living in the UK his whole life.
When was he born in Scotland? Isn't he a British citizen too?
my other question is,if I come here as a tourist,will i be able to get married and change my status to a spousal visa over here in the UK after getting married here

Absolutely - NO!

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:52 pm

If he has Irish nationality, and you are going to get married when you travel to South Africa, you can apply for an EEA Family Permit out there. All you have to show is that you are married, and that he will be "exercising his treaty rights" as an EEA national by living and working in the UK - even though he was born in the UK and may have lived here all his life, his Irish passport entitles him and you to apply under EEA regulations rather than the UK Immigration Rules. There is no charge for an EEA Family Permit application, and unless the Visa Officer can prove that it is a marriage of convenience (and the onus of proof is on him, you don't have to prove anything), it must be granted without delay.
Go for it.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:06 pm

Mr Rusty wrote:If he has Irish nationality, and you are going to get married when you travel to South Africa, you can apply for an EEA Family Permit out there.

Not a smart idea if she wants British citizenship as soon as possible.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:27 pm

JAJ wrote:
Mr Rusty wrote:If he has Irish nationality, and you are going to get married when you travel to South Africa, you can apply for an EEA Family Permit out there.

Not a smart idea if she wants British citizenship as soon as possible.
She wasn't asking how to get British Citizenship.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:29 pm

Mr Rusty wrote:Not a smart idea if she wants British citizenship as soon as possible.

She wasn't asking how to get British Citizenship.

Maybe she wasn't but one has to presume it's important to her in the long term if she is planning to live in the United Kingdom.

It is not responsible to advise people about the EEA option without making them aware of this issue as well.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:09 pm

And bear in mind SA is soon to be added to the 'Dodgy Countries' list, SA citz will most likely need formal visas soon....

junosword
Newly Registered

Post by junosword » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:50 am

When will it be added to the 'dodgy countries' list and what exactly does that mean?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:30 am

junosword wrote:When will it be added to the 'dodgy countries' list and what exactly does that mean?
Was posted here somewhere, there are so many dodgy passports issued in SA the UK is planning to put Saffers on the 'need a visa' list for visits.

junosword
Newly Registered

Post by junosword » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:34 am

thanks for the quick response