ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I change countries for study?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kramvi
Newly Registered

Can I change countries for study?

Post by kramvi » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:10 am

I have been given a Schengen visa for study in Netherlands. I haven't left India yet but I have also been accepted in a German university that is my first choice. Now do I have to apply for a German Schengen student visa too or can I just use this visa to go to Germany. What is the way that I am Legally allowed to go to Germany. Please advise. Thanks.

DavidR98
Newly Registered

Post by DavidR98 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:08 pm

What does your visa say?

I would imagine that you have a residence permit for one country, and that does not give you the right to reside in another, only to visit.

gani999

Re: Can I change countries for study?

Post by gani999 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:54 pm

kramvi wrote: can I just use this visa to go to Germany. What is the way that I am Legally allowed to go to Germany. Please advise. Thanks.
No, you cannot. The Dutch visa has been issued to you for the specific purpose of entering the Netherlands for your studies. If you want to study in Germany now, you will need to apply for a German Student visa.

And before you apply for the German visa, it would be a good idea to inform The Dutch university that you willl not be joining them and get the Dutch visa cancelled. The German Consulate will get suspicious if they see that you are applying for a German visa while already having a valid Dutch one.