ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help - Question to anyone familiar with the Mexican naturalization process

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ComatosePen
Newly Registered

Help - Question to anyone familiar with the Mexican naturalization process

Post by ComatosePen » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:14 am

I need help from anybody familiar with the naturalization process to become a Mexican citizen.

My wife is a US citizen who moved to live with me, a Mexican citizen, in Mexico, a little under 2 years ago. She applied and successfully got a Temporary Residency visa as soon as she got here, based on marriage to a Mexican national.

From what I read online, foreigners who are married to Mexicans can apply for citizenship after a minimum of 2 years of having either a Temporary Residency or Permanent Residency visa. Her Temporary Residency visa is valid for 2 years and therefore she planned to apply for Mexican citizenship around March next year (when her visa expires) so that she can meet the naturalization requirement of having lived in Mexico as a resident for 2 years prior to the application for citizenship. As of the time of writing, this is still 6 months away.

However today I read something on the Mexican government site, citing a requirement for the Temporary or Permanent Residency visa to be valid for at least 6 months at the time of the application for naturalization - or at least I assume this is what they mean, but I'm not sure:

"Exhibir original y dos fotocopias de la tarjeta expedida por la Secretaría de Gobernación que acredite la condición de estancia de residente temporal, o residente permanente, con la que el interesado acredite su legal estancia (Art. 14 RLN), en consecuencia, la residencia en el país durante dos años inmediatos anteriores a la fecha de la solicitud, la cual deberá tener una vigencia mínima de seis meses, posteriores a la presentación de la solicitud, del que se desprenda la Clave Única de Registro de Población (CURP)"

English translation:

"Exhibit original and two photocopies of the card issued by the Ministry of the Interior that accredits the condition of stay of temporary resident, or permanent resident, with which the interested party proves his legal stay (Article 14 RLN), consequently, the residence in the country for two immediate years prior to the date of the application, which must have a validity of at least six months, after the application has been filed, from which the Single Registry of Population Register (CURP)"

Now, I'm confused because there is no way that her 2-year Temporary Residency visa will have 6 months validity by the time that she applies AND both make it possible for her to meet the condition of having held such a visa for at least 2 years. The only way the latter could be true is if she applies at the very end of her visa, but then the visa will not have 6 months validity before expiration.

Does anybody know: Should she be applying for citizenship literally RIGHT NOW (6 months before her visa expiration date) even though technically she's only been living in Mexico for 1 and a half years, and not the required 2?

Or is she instead expected to either apply for an extension to her Temporary Residency visa when that expires in order to both complete her minimum stay of 2 years with a residency visa, but also still have at least 6 months validity on said visa?

Help would be very much appreciated on this. Thank you.