ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

marrying a spanish citizen in uk with a non eu partner (no papers)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

khers
Newly Registered

Re: marrying a spanish citizen in uk with a non eu partner (no papers)

Post by khers » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:52 am

kate8899 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:49 am
Hi James,

Thanks so much for the reply. Its been enlightening for me to know that your Spanish and a lawyer at the same time. At the moment my boyfriend is been living or residing here in Uk for many years so i dont know if it will be an obstacle although he has a place in Spain too. How does that works? What will the Spanish consulate ask with regards to papers or documents?
Good Morning Kate

The process shall begin in Spain, at the local civil registry or at the Magisrate's Court in the case of small towns. If won't be a problem that your future husband has been residing in the UK for long. First tell him to check if he is still registered in the last city or town he was living in Spain before he left, perhaps he still will be on active registration and he will only need to provide the registry sheet (empadronamiento). To get married you need to provide information of your place of residence in the last two years, in the case of the Spanish national with this sheet and for foreigners with a consular certificate from your home country Philippines, since you can't prove your regular stay in the UK.

I repeat the process shall begin in Spain, your husband should go to the civil registry in the place he is registered with all the documents and apply. If he is not registered in any city which I doubt he need to be registered since the process will be done in the city where he is considered a resident. In some cities you can get through the internet the appointment date to present the documents for marriage, and then gather all the necessary documents to show them the day of the appointment to the clerk at the civil registry or to the secretary of the judge at the Magistrate's Court in small towns. Documents are simple, birth certificate of both of you, a certificate or certificates of the places you have been residing in the last two years (empadronamiento), this is to determine if it will be necessary to publish edicts in the case one of you have been living in Spain in a town of less than 25.000 inhabitants. You will need a certificate of legal capacity to get married, this proves that you are single in your country and you are able to get married, you can ask this from your Philippines Consulate.

For the interview and for the ceremony you need to arrange this through the lawyer, so you can pass the interview at the nearest Spanish Consulate through their civil registry and your husband will attend the interview in Spain. Then the file will be send to the district attorney of the place in Spain where your husband is registered and if he hasn't got any objections this will be aproved and you will be given a date for the ceremony in the city in Spain where your boyfriend is registered, you can also get married through the notary public once the permission for getting married is given.

The day of the ceremony in Spain the lawyer or someone else you have given the power of attorney will accept to the marriage on your behalf and he will sign with your husband on your behalf the act of marriage.

All the process it's the same for a normal wedding, except that you are not able to attend the ceremony in person in Spain so someone will attend on your behalf because he has been given a power to act as your representative.

The power of attorney as I've told you in a previous message can be easily done, you can make it through a UK notary public (but you need to translate it to Spanish afterwards) or at the Philippines Consulate.

Best Regards,

James

Jollianoo
Newly Registered

Post by Jollianoo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:55 am

What about if she get married in her embassy here in UK, then get the married contract translated and stamped from her embassy... HO can accept that??
I have some friends did it in Netherlands and was fine, don't know about here

kate8899
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by kate8899 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:53 am

khers wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:52 am
kate8899 wrote:
Hi James,

Thanks so much for the reply. Its been enlightening for me to know that your Spanish and a lawyer at the same time. At the moment my boyfriend is been living or residing here in Uk for many years so i dont know if it will be an obstacle although he has a place in Spain too. How does that works? What will the Spanish consulate ask with regards to papers or documents?
Good Morning Kate

The process shall begin in Spain, at the local civil registry or at the Magisrate's Court in the case of small towns. If won't be a problem that your future husband has been residing in the UK for long. First tell him to check if he is still registered in the last city or town he was living in Spain before he left, perhaps he still will be on active registration and he will only need to provide the registry sheet (empadronamiento). To get married you need to provide information of your place of residence in the last two years, in the case of the Spanish national with this sheet and for foreigners with a consular certificate from your home country Philippines, since you can't prove your regular stay in the UK.

I repeat the process shall begin in Spain, your husband should go to the civil registry in the place he is registered with all the documents and apply. If he is not registered in any city which I doubt he need to be registered since the process will be done in the city where he is considered a resident. In some cities you can get through the internet the appointment date to present the documents for marriage, and then gather all the necessary documents to show them the day of the appointment to the clerk at the civil registry or to the secretary of the judge at the Magistrate's Court in small towns. Documents are simple, birth certificate of both of you, a certificate or certificates of the places you have been residing in the last two years (empadronamiento), this is to determine if it will be necessary to publish edicts in the case one of you have been living in Spain in a town of less than 25.000 inhabitants. You will need a certificate of legal capacity to get married, this proves that you are single in your country and you are able to get married, you can ask this from your Philippines Consulate.

For the interview and for the ceremony you need to arrange this through the lawyer, so you can pass the interview at the nearest Spanish Consulate through their civil registry and your husband will attend the interview in Spain. Then the file will be send to the district attorney of the place in Spain where your husband is registered and if he hasn't got any objections this will be aproved and you will be given a date for the ceremony in the city in Spain where your boyfriend is registered, you can also get married through the notary public once the permission for getting married is given.

The day of the ceremony in Spain the lawyer or someone else you have given the power of attorney will accept to the marriage on your behalf and he will sign with your husband on your behalf the act of marriage.

All the process it's the same for a normal wedding, except that you are not able to attend the ceremony in person in Spain so someone will attend on your behalf because he has been given a power to act as your representative.

The power of attorney as I've told you in a previous message can be easily done, you can make it through a UK notary public (but you need to translate it to Spanish afterwards) or at the Philippines Consulate.

Best Regards,

James
Hi James,

Due to Brexit my partner has decided to get British nationality as well, as a European youre allowed to have dual citizenship right? One is spanish and he likes to have British nationality too. Anyway, whats the advantages of marrying a non eu national without visa here in UK? Does it have any bearing on this at all?

kate8899
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by kate8899 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:01 am

kate8899 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:53 am
khers wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:52 am
kate8899 wrote:
Hi James,

Good Morning Kate

Best Regards,

James
Hi James,

Due to Brexit my partner has decided to get British nationality as well, as a European youre allowed to have dual citizenship right? One is spanish and he likes to have British nationality too. Anyway, whats the advantages of marrying a non eu national without visa here in UK? Does it have any bearing on this at all?
What's the difference if we get married using his spanish passport or the british passport(if he is able to get one soon).

TalitaZ

Post by TalitaZ » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:25 pm

mariee wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:09 pm
Do you have your passport in your possession? (no papers I have interpreted to mean visa)

I'm not an expert... I was in a similar situation recently, non eu over stayer married eu national. I don't require a schengen visa so I was able to enter Denmark on Monday, married on Tuesday waited 7 days to have the marriage certificate apostilled (legalised)

*Denmark is the easiest place to get married in Europe similar to Vegas *

We arrived at Heathrow without a family permit Asked to be admitted under European law, answered a few questions, we had prepared a folder of documents :bills, photos, insurance etc
After checking my HO file, 1hr 30mins the border officer granted me an entry stamp.

My advice would be to go for a schengen visa, if you returned to your country, I'm not sure if you can apply in the UK. Once married you can then go for the family permit and reenter.

Best of luck
Hi Mariee,

May I ask what your nationality is? Would you normally need a tourist Visa to UK?
We also got married in Denmark (Aero) as it was the easiest and quickest way, but we did apply for an EEA Family permit straight after, as my husband is Indian and we did not want to risk being turned away trying to board a plane/train to London. Took about 3 months all together, from getting married to getting the EEA FP. We're in the UK now so all good, but interested to hear about situations where the entry stamp was given.

Thanks
Talita

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:44 pm

kate8899 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:01 am
What's the difference if we get married using his spanish passport or the british passport(if he is able to get one soon).
For a British citizen to bring a non-EEA wife to the UK is expensive, and he must be earning at least £18,600 a year (and it seems likely to rise soon). It is much cheaper for an EEA national who is not also a British citizen. Many British-Irish nationals have renounced British nationality so that they can bring a non-EEA wife to the UK.

mariee
Newly Registered

Post by mariee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:48 pm

TalitaZ wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:25 pm
mariee wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:09 pm
Do you have your passport in your possession? (no papers I have interpreted to mean visa)

I'm not an expert... I was in a similar situation recently, non eu over stayer married eu national. I don't require a schengen visa so I was able to enter Denmark on Monday, married on Tuesday waited 7 days to have the marriage certificate apostilled (legalised)

*Denmark is the easiest place to get married in Europe similar to Vegas *

We arrived at Heathrow without a family permit Asked to be admitted under European law, answered a few questions, we had prepared a folder of documents :bills, photos, insurance etc
After checking my HO file, 1hr 30mins the border officer granted me an entry stamp.

My advice would be to go for a schengen visa, if you returned to your country, I'm not sure if you can apply in the UK. Once married you can then go for the family permit and reenter.

Best of luck
Hi Mariee,

May I ask what your nationality is? Would you normally need a tourist Visa to UK?
We also got married in Denmark (Aero) as it was the easiest and quickest way, but we did apply for an EEA Family permit straight after, as my husband is Indian and we did not want to risk being turned away trying to board a plane/train to London. Took about 3 months all together, from getting married to getting the EEA FP. We're in the UK now so all good, but interested to hear about situations where the entry stamp was given.

Thanks
Talita

Hi Talita,
Congrats! I also went to Aero :)
I'm a non visa national so was able to board the plane to the UK and I also did not require a visa for the schengen countries.
My turn around was 2wks from leaving the UK voluntarily to re-entering with out the FP.
Have travelled three times now seems until I apply for the RC I will need to carry my marriage certificate with me. At the border they will stamp an eu dependacy stamp.

kate8899
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by kate8899 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi guys,

I hardly know which nationality are you in at the moment. But for me my option is to get back home and go to denmark instead but i got a banned entering in uk as long as im not bannned in denmark i think it should be fine.

kate8899
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by kate8899 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Whats the requirements if the spanish guy will use his spanish in marrying a non eu national here in UK.

kate8899
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by kate8899 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:08 pm

Question: Whats the requirements in marrying a non eu national here in UK? The guy is spanish citizen living here in Uk for less than 10 years.

ninkas
Poland

Post by ninkas » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:42 pm

hi kate8899
First of all, I have to notify that I’m not a lawyer nor immigration adviser.I can only tell you how myself and my irregular husband got married in 2011. He arrived in UK illegally and I have been in UK for 5 years back then. We have been in relationship for about 4 years prior to our marriage,but lived together only for 4 months .
We just went to register office with our passports and gave a notice of marriage.The clerc invited us for interview which lasted about an hour, and we were allowed to book the venue. We married 3 weeks later. It was extremely stressful as I was fully aware of possible interruption.But overall it wasn’t that difficult back then .As far as I’m concerned,the register office was obliged to report to the HO only people,who were suspected of possible sham marriages.We didn’t have any problems at all.
I know that the law has changed and it’s not as easy as it was before. As a matter of fact, I know that HO can conduct an interview and you can even face deportation.It is not a nice situation to be in.In my humble opinion, it is much safer to wait till you reach 2 years of cohabitation with your partner and apply within UK for residence card as Eea family member.But this my opinion and as I mentioned before,I’m not a lawyer.
All the best
Eea +nonEea married couple

kate8899
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by kate8899 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:46 pm

ninkas wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:42 pm
hi kate8899
First of all, I have to notify that I’m not a lawyer nor immigration adviser.I can only tell you how myself and my irregular husband got married in 2011. He arrived in UK illegally and I have been in UK for 5 years back then. We have been in relationship for about 4 years prior to our marriage,but lived together only for 4 months .
We just went to register office with our passports and gave a notice of marriage.The clerc invited us for interview which lasted about an hour, and we were allowed to book the venue. We married 3 weeks later. It was extremely stressful as I was fully aware of possible interruption.But overall it wasn’t that difficult back then .As far as I’m concerned,the register office was obliged to report to the HO only people,who were suspected of possible sham marriages.We didn’t have any problems at all.
I know that the law has changed and it’s not as easy as it was before. As a matter of fact, I know that HO can conduct an interview and you can even face deportation.It is not a nice situation to be in.In my humble opinion, it is much safer to wait till you reach 2 years of cohabitation with your partner and apply within UK for residence card as Eea family member.But this my opinion and as I mentioned before,I’m not a lawyer.
All the best

hey thanks for the reply. Yeah it was easier back then and now there were so many changes too.

kate8899
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by kate8899 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:23 am

Hello there,

Ive been hearing my friends and some solicitors that marrying a european national is quicker or has its own advantages versus the person whos holding a british citizenship/passport?

Any comments on this?