ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Criminal Records in UK

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Internazionale
Newly Registered

Criminal Records in UK

Post by Internazionale » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:00 pm

Does having a previous criminal record in the UK and being deported affect any future applications for a Schengen visa for a non-EU national?

gani999

Post by gani999 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:56 pm

Yes, it does. You will be questioned about it and may even have your visa denied.

No harm in giving it a try, though.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:11 am

All your visa applications will have areas to indicate your past record, and you will have to explain, without contradiction, how such things came to be.

Without further details from you, advice beyond that is going to be difficult or impossible. Like, for how many years it will follow you, and what explanations might be better than others, etc. Violence & illegal work can cause you some of the most serious difficulties.

The most important thing is, DO NOT falsify any visa application. That is a crime in and of itself, and it can be grounds to summarily deny you many visas all around the world.

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:49 am

I'm sorry, but you are both wrong. Nowhere on the application form for a Schengen visa does it ask about previous criminal records, nor is it a requirement to not have a criminal record in order to apply for a Schengen visa.

Furthermore you are not currently required to mention any previous deportations or visa denials on the current Schengen visa application form.

You can see what questions are asked here on the French Schengen Application form:

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/IMG/pdf/visagb.pdf
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Internazionale
Newly Registered

Post by Internazionale » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:35 pm

I've noticed there is nowhere for you to declare past criminal records, so does this mean they don't care in the Schengen area and are only bothered if you show up on an alert in the Schengen Information System?

So, by not volunteering the information, because it's not asked for on the application form, does this make an application fraudulent?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Internazionale wrote:I've noticed there is nowhere for you to declare past criminal records, so does this mean they don't care in the Schengen area and are only bothered if you show up on an alert in the Schengen Information System?

So, by not volunteering the information, because it's not asked for on the application form, does this make an application fraudulent?
That's correct, they only care what shows up in the Schengen Information System.

If you are not asked for information, how can it be fraudulent to not give it?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Fairtrade

Post by Fairtrade » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:25 pm

www.sirene.gov.uk

Even though Britain is not part of the Schenegen Information system, that doesn't stop Britain from sharing information and vice versa with the Schengen Information System about criminal activities.

Sirene UK is a major step forward for law enforcement with direct benefits to policing and public safety within the UK and throughout the European Union (EU).
Sirene UK is a Home Office funded programme that will deliver access to the Schengen Information System – an established and robust pan-European data system – to UK law enforcement officers.

Via a seamless link on the Police National Computer (PNC), law enforcement officers will be able to share and use certain information with other police organisations from all Schengen countries – namely all 15 EU member countries prior to May 2004, plus Norway and Iceland.

Use of this information will allow UK law enforcement officers to locate missing persons, criminals and stolen property from other countries – increasing our opportunities to deal with cross-border crime and extending the reach of UK law enforcement across Europe.

Among other benefits, this joined-up approach to policing will help:

extend the reach of police enquiries and investigations
across Europe
disrupt the movement of criminals and stolen goods and vehicles within Europe
locate people on behalf of courts
recover stolen property
track and find missing and wanted persons within Europe
reduce the opportunity for identity fraud

The Schengen Information System is currently in use within Europe and enjoys an excellent track record of success, helping European law enforcement agencies work closer together to combat international criminality and improve safety in the EU.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:37 am

My bad.

I was thinking about general visa applications and general strategy.

I am actually rather surprised the Schengen doesn't address this directly. Definitely news for me ... and I think I want to look into this a bit closer.

Schengen is all about security & background checks - deportation would seem to be of interest at some part of teh process.

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom