ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Benfits... advice in general.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mcarr1007
Newly Registered

Benfits... advice in general.

Post by mcarr1007 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:12 pm

Good morning…

I have been engaged to my fiancé for a year and a half now and we finally got sick of the commute back and fourth from USA to the UK. I plan on flying over next month and start the job search process. I will have 7-8 months worth of savings to live off while I sort out my work situation.

This is where things get confusing… She is a single mother of 2 and is living mostly off benefits, housing benefit being the most substantial. When we move in together do we lose all benefits? Seems harsh and backwards as in a few months when I am supporting us we won’t need help, but for a short time it would be helpful.

Any advice? Thank you.

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: Benfits... advice in general.

Post by olisun » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:45 pm

mcarr1007 wrote:Good morning…

I have been engaged to my fiancé for a year and a half now and we finally got sick of the commute back and fourth from USA to the UK. I plan on flying over next month and start the job search process. I will have 7-8 months worth of savings to live off while I sort out my work situation.

This is where things get confusing… She is a single mother of 2 and is living mostly off benefits, housing benefit being the most substantial. When we move in together do we lose all benefits? Seems harsh and backwards as in a few months when I am supporting us we won’t need help, but for a short time it would be helpful.

Any advice? Thank you.
As mentioned in the other post of yours, you CAN'T work on a fiancée visa

mcarr1007
Newly Registered

Post by mcarr1007 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:10 pm

I appologize if my posts came off as redundant but I was trying to follow the forum rules by not adding personal family issues to work related threads. I was asking about benifits in this case... I just added my job search issues to help paint a picture of my situation.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:18 pm

When we move in together do we lose all benefits? Seems harsh and backwards
Benefits like that are a supposed to be a safety net for people who cannot work & do not have much in the bank.

Do people get their rent paid & cash in the US if they have substantial savings?

It depends on your situation, but if she stops being entitled to benefits like housing benefit there are still family tax credits. Do a search on this board for more information because the question comes up quite often.

People on fiancee/visitors/spouse visas have "no recourse to public funds".

mcarr1007
Newly Registered

Post by mcarr1007 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:09 pm

Of cource we don't... hell we just get kicked out on the streets.

There will be a time lapse between when we are married and when I can get there with my spousal visa, This is what I am most concerned about. She has 2 children... I just want to be sure they don't take it away before I can get there.

Thanks...

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:40 pm

There will be a time lapse between when we are married and when I can get there with my spousal visa, This is what I am most concerned about. She has 2 children... I just want to be sure they don't take it away before I can get there.
It will only make a difference once you are in the UK and living with her.