ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HOME OFFICE VISIT CROYDON ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Yasmin
Newly Registered

HOME OFFICE VISIT CROYDON ILR

Post by Yasmin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi All

Myself and my husband went to the home office last week to apply for his ILR in the UK. I would really like to share our experince as I found them actually quite helpful. I would recommend anyone applying for ILR to keep documents in DATE order from the past two years and get letters from relevant people for any gaps. They like the documents in DATE order this avoids any confusion when you go to the first desk.

A very intereting point is that we provided loads of documetns as stated on the form. In the SET M form they ask for evidence of 'finances and wage slips' We took them with us and the PEO at the home office decided they did not wish to see them although it is seperate section on the form.

I must admit the customer service at the PEO in Croydan has really improved and the staff appear to me freindly.

I was wondering now my husband has ILR is there anything to stop him applying for naturalisation now? I assuming if we have to go abroad then we will still need to get a visa for him until he obtains his Uk passport. Does anyone know how long this may take?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Yasmin

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: HOME OFFICE VISIT CROYDON ILR

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:12 pm

Yasmin wrote:Hi All

Myself and my husband went to the home office last week to apply for his ILR in the UK. I would really like to share our experince as I found them actually quite helpful. I would recommend anyone applying for ILR to keep documents in DATE order from the past two years and get letters from relevant people for any gaps. They like the documents in DATE order this avoids any confusion when you go to the first desk.

A very intereting point is that we provided loads of documetns as stated on the form. In the SET M form they ask for evidence of 'finances and wage slips' We took them with us and the PEO at the home office decided they did not wish to see them although it is seperate section on the form.

I must admit the customer service at the PEO in Croydan has really improved and the staff appear to me freindly.

I was wondering now my husband has ILR is there anything to stop him applying for naturalisation now? I assuming if we have to go abroad then we will still need to get a visa for him until he obtains his Uk passport. Does anyone know how long this may take?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Yasmin

Another year before he can naturalise so he will need visas according to his current nationality
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Yasmin
Newly Registered

Post by Yasmin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:14 pm

Hello

Oh right thank you very much I thought he maybe able to natauralise as he has been over here for the past 7 years with the past 2 years on a spouse visa. Looks like we are going to have to wait for another year then!!

Thanks very much

Yasmin

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:23 pm

Yasmin wrote:Hello

Oh right thank you very much I thought he maybe able to natauralise as he has been over here for the past 7 years with the past 2 years on a spouse visa. Looks like we are going to have to wait for another year then!!

Thanks very much

Yasmin
In that case he can but why didn't you say that in your post?

whirly

Post by whirly » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:44 pm

I would recommend anyone applying for ILR to keep documents in DATE order from the past two years ... They like the documents in DATE order this avoids any confusion when you go to the first desk
Yasmin & hubby: congratulations!

I am putting together docs for my ILR application (based on spouse visa) early next month and wondered about the order: by date vs by type. I had planned to arrange everything by type (bank statements, pay slips, mortgage, etc.) showing dates across the 2 years, but do you think it is better to arrange everything by month (March, Feb, Jan ... April 2006)? We have plenty of docs to show - at least one for each month. I just thought it might look random if an important, but older, mortgage statement was buried behind a less important, but recent, broadband bill, for example.

I am submitting my ap by post - does this make a difference?

Thanks!

Yasmin
Newly Registered

Post by Yasmin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:02 pm

whirly wrote:
I would recommend anyone applying for ILR to keep documents in DATE order from the past two years ... They like the documents in DATE order this avoids any confusion when you go to the first desk
Yasmin & hubby: congratulations!

I am putting together docs for my ILR application (based on spouse visa) early next month and wondered about the order: by date vs by type. I had planned to arrange everything by type (bank statements, pay slips, mortgage, etc.) showing dates across the 2 years, but do you think it is better to arrange everything by month (March, Feb, Jan ... April 2006)? We have plenty of docs to show - at least one for each month. I just thought it might look random if an important, but older, mortgage statement was buried behind a less important, but recent, broadband bill, for example.

I am submitting my ap by post - does this make a difference?

Thanks!

Hello

Thanks for your kind words.

What I would do is arrange them in date order over the past two years so it is absoultley CLEAR to the Home Office what they are looking at. I know it does not take much for them to get confused!! :)

What we did is arrange them in DATE order spread over the two years with mainly everything in joint names eg gas biil, tenancy agreement, water bill etc. What I would do is maybe write a typed covering sheet like we do ie. Type of Documents Joint Names or Single names and Period Covered.

In terms of your Finances from memory I think they only ask for the last 3 months bank statements and pay slips i would put this seperatly.

I do not think it makes any difference if you send it by pos and it is a abit a bit cheaper. However, what we did in the end is just went to Croydan that was you get the desicion on the day and you can answer any queries face to face that they may have. Rather than going back and forth with letters to and from the home office. If yuo can afford it (i know its a lot of money) I would go to a PEO for my own piece of mind but that is entirely up to you.

If you have any other queries or questions please do let me know and I iwll do my very best to answer them for you.

Best of luck with your application.

Kind Regards

Yasmin :)

Yasmin
Newly Registered

Post by Yasmin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:05 pm

Wanderer wrote:

Thanks very much

Yasmin
Sorry I know i should have been more explicit :) My fault!!

So does that mean he can apply then how long does this process now take...it seems to take such a long time and so long winded!

whirly

Post by whirly » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:18 pm

Thanks again for your advice, Yasmin.

I will do what you suggest and order everything by date. I have already written a list like you said: type of doc, names, dates covered - so I just have to reorder it. Easy enough!

We would apply in person but I would rather put that £200 toward my citizenship ap instead. I am obviously tentative about putting all our precious docs in the post, but getting a same-day answer just isn't worth the 200 quid (plus train fare and day off) to me. Our case is very straightforward so I'm not expecting too many questions. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a case of 'famous last words'!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:22 pm

Yasmin wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Thanks very much

Yasmin
Sorry I know i should have been more explicit :) My fault!!

So does that mean he can apply then how long does this process now take...it seems to take such a long time and so long winded!

The only thing I can remember about BC apps is he must have been present on UK on the third anniversary of being here, otherwise apply on first date he was present.

£655 I think - ker-ching, thank you Mr Chancellor....

Yasmin
Newly Registered

Post by Yasmin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:51 pm

whirly wrote:Thanks again for your advice, Yasmin.

I will do what you suggest and order everything by date. I have already written a list like you said: type of doc, names, dates covered - so I just have to reorder it. Easy enough!

We would apply in person but I would rather put that £200 toward my citizenship ap instead. I am obviously tentative about putting all our precious docs in the post, but getting a same-day answer just isn't worth the 200 quid (plus train fare and day off) to me. Our case is very straightforward so I'm not expecting too many questions. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a case of 'famous last words'!
Hello

Good luck with your application. You should be fine as our case was as straighfoward as they come really. The only question they had was about my hubby's diriving offence. Make sure you declare criminal convictions as they have a system they check on from what i could see when the man at the home office was inputting the data.

I know what a nightmare it is completing that form plus adding all photos etc.

I agree the 200 could be well spent elsewhere. You could always send it be next day delivery rather than normal post that way at least you know they have recieved it!!!

Good luck hope it all goes ok you never know the HO may come back within a couple of weeks if your lucky and your application is straightfoward.

whirly

Post by whirly » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:03 pm

*Absolutely* sending it via special delivery! Having read how various gov agencies handle their own internal post in the Royal Mail, I plan on making sure my ap is as trackable as possible.

Thanks for all your kind words!

(And good luck to your hubby with the citizenship ap. I plan to do that right after I get ILR, too.)

gaman

Post by gaman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:24 pm

I am not intending to hijack your post but thought to share my experiences with PEO at Croydon today.
I applied today in person on the basis of marriage.
Got in around 9:30, x-rayed, documents checked, sent upstairs, paid the fees. My number called about 20 mins. Spend a long time to sort documents as they don't seem to accept bank/credit card statements. They are looking for letters mainly and banks statements only for funds.
Got the visa within 3 hours of entering the building. The customer service is good, i must say as this is my second time there, and staff are helpful.

I see that the following might help deal with any applications quicker:
- Have different sources and not rely only on bank/credit cards
- Arrange them in order
- having your partner with you is not necessary but documents are

Finall I really appreciate everyone here for help and support and I have learnt a lot just reading other posts.
A great forum!
Thanks again all.

adviceseeker
Newly Registered

Post by adviceseeker » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:28 am

Yasmin

Hi I am going to apply for my ILR next month in person in Liverpool...My question is about the documents, we already sort our documents but my I was wondering how did you put in in order, I mean did you put separate folder each type of documents or you just place it in folder and put names on it....thanks in advance

douces

Post by douces » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:09 pm

does your spouse have to be at the peo with you or can i go alone

adviceseeker
Newly Registered

Post by adviceseeker » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:27 pm

When I rang Liverpool to make an appoint, the person I am talking to say that my husband should come to me which he is. I think its best if your partner will come with you in case they have question for both of you and for support.

douces

Post by douces » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:34 pm

u need to put each year in different folder

momer79

Congratulation

Post by momer79 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:40 pm

HI Yasmin,

Congratulation on ILR Visa.

Your husband doesn't require UK visa anymore as he has got ILR.

Best of luck.
Umar Rehman

gaman

Post by gaman » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:04 pm

douces wrote:does your spouse have to be at the peo with you or can i go alone
I went alone twice and it was not a problem at all. I got my FLR and ILR both without my wife with me. I felt that they need documentary evidence and if it all goes ok there shouldn't be any problem.
I think PEO staff are just doing their everyday job ... may be one need to meet certain minimum requirements supported by authentic/valid documents and it seems to be ok. Good luck!

Yasmin
Newly Registered

Post by Yasmin » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:20 pm

adviceseeker wrote:Yasmin

Hi I am going to apply for my ILR next month in person in Liverpool...My question is about the documents, we already sort our documents but my I was wondering how did you put in in order, I mean did you put separate folder each type of documents or you just place it in folder and put names on it....thanks in advance

Hello

Sorry for delay in responding we were away for Easter.

Yes what we did is put them in date order and listed the documents that we had in date order. So in answer to your question we placed in one folder with a covering sheet to say what documents were included. All they do is check through them to make sure they are authentic and match both names that are on your passports.

Good luck with your application if you have any other queries then please just ask.

Yasmin

Yasmin
Newly Registered

Post by Yasmin » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:21 pm

douces wrote:does your spouse have to be at the peo with you or can i go alone
Hello

Everytime me and my partner have gone for spuse visa or ILR we have always gone togehter. i think it helps. However, we did see people applying whos spouses/partners were not present.

Hope this helps
Yasmin

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:06 pm

Yasmin wrote:
whirly wrote:Thanks again for your advice, Yasmin.

Hello

Good luck with your application. You should be fine as our case was as straighfoward as they come really. The only question they had was about my hubby's diriving offence. Make sure you declare criminal convictions as they have a system they check on from what i could see when the man at the home office was inputting the data.

I know what a nightmare it is completing that form plus adding all photos etc.

I agree the 200 could be well spent elsewhere. You could always send it be next day delivery rather than normal post that way at least you know they have recieved it!!!

Good luck hope it all goes ok you never know the HO may come back within a couple of weeks if your lucky and your application is straightfoward.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your husband may have to wait for up to 5 years from the date of offence before qualifying for naturalisation as the HO has changed the rules on time periods before offences are considered spent from 01/2008.

What sort of offence was it? He would have troble applying for naturalisation if he received a fine or conviction for the offence (the only driving offences exempt are fixed penalty notices for speeding and parking fines)

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... ide_an.pdf

Check the bit on 'Good Character requirements'..

Yasmin
Newly Registered

Post by Yasmin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:49 pm

Hello

Thank you very much for letting me know. I guess these things happen.

So does this now mean if we are go on holiday to to either an EEA country or non EU country we will still have to apply for a visa for my husband then?

THanks once again for your advice.

Yasmin

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:58 pm

Thank you very much for letting me know. I guess these things happen.

So does this now mean if we are go on holiday to to either an EEA country or non EU country we will still have to apply for a visa for my husband then?

THanks once again for your advice.

Yasmin
I`m afraid that's true.However, he might be able to get a multiple entry Schengen visa(it's issued free to spouses of EU nationals) valid for 2-3 years now that he has ILR and most EU countries are part of the Schengen zone anyway..

Some people on here (no disrespect) recommend that non EU spouses of EU nationals use Directive 2004/38/EC while travelling within the EU but there have been instances where people have encountered difficulties while using the route and I would still suggest applying for a visa, especially if your husband is currently a Pakistani national..

Check this link for further details on the Directive..

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15545

Yasmin
Newly Registered

Post by Yasmin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:18 pm

I`m afraid that's true.However, he might be able to get a multiple entry Schengen visa(it's issued free to spouses of EU nationals) valid for 2-3 years now that he has ILR and most EU countries are part of the Schengen zone anyway..

Some people on here (no disrespect) recommend that non EU spouses of EU nationals use Directive 2004/38/EC while travelling within the EU but there have been instances where people have encountered difficulties while using the route and I would still suggest applying for a visa, especially if your husband is currently a Pakistani national..

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15545[/quote]

Hello

Thank you ever so much for your prompt response :). I was not aware that you could apply for a multiple entry Scheghen Visa. If that is the case we will apply for that as it just makes it easier for any trips to Europe. I assume you have to go to the country that you will be travelling to in order to get the visa? Does this take a long time?

I just find it very frustrating that he is not able to apply for a UK passport yet as it just makes travelling abroad so much easier as I love travelling. But I guess we will have to wait for another couple of years for him to apply for naturalisation.

Thanks once again for all your help

Yasmin

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:53 pm

Yasmin wrote:I`m afraid that's true.However, he might be able to get a multiple entry Schengen visa(it's issued free to spouses of EU nationals) valid for 2-3 years now that he has ILR and most EU countries are part of the Schengen zone anyway..

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15545

Hello

Thank you ever so much for your prompt response :). I was not aware that you could apply for a multiple entry Scheghen Visa. If that is the case we will apply for that as it just makes it easier for any trips to Europe. I assume you have to go to the country that you will be travelling to in order to get the visa? Does this take a long time?
I just find it very frustrating that he is not able to apply for a UK passport yet as it just makes travelling abroad so much easier as I love travelling. But I guess we will have to wait for another couple of years for him to apply for naturalisation.

Thanks once again for all your help

Yasmin
You apply at the consulate of the country you initially plan to travel to. I would advise you to apply at the Belgian Consulate as it is the only Schengen country that allows postal applications for applicants living outside the M25 and does not require you to ring any absurdly expensive 0906 numbers. Processing time is usually 2 working days but around 4-6 weeks for certain nationalities, including Pakistani. However, it is free of charge for spouses of EU nationals and your husband would only be required to provide both your passports, marriage certificate and 2 passport size photographs..

Link to the Belgian Visa Application Centre in the UK

http://www.vfs-be-uk.com/