ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British by descent and on tier 4 visa. CAN I CLAIM CHILD BENEFIT FOR MY DAUGHTER BORN IN UK?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

thruuuuu
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

British by descent and on tier 4 visa. CAN I CLAIM CHILD BENEFIT FOR MY DAUGHTER BORN IN UK?

Post by thruuuuu » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:14 pm

My case is a bit complicated.

Iam British by descent. But have a dual Pakistani and British nationality. I am in full time education doing PHD from a reputable university. My son (born in Pakistan) and wife both have Pakistani nationality and are here in UK with me on a tier 4 dependent category.

I got them in UK as I was not earning the legal limit required to sponsor your family under normal circumstances as I am still in fulltime education. I used my dual citizenship instead to apply for a tier 4 visa for my self and applied for a dependent visa for my wife and son under the same category.

I recently had a second child born in UK. My question is given that i am British and my new born (who has already got her British passport). Can i apply for child benefits for my daughter born in UK? Or not? And would it have any effect on my wife and son's tier 4 dependant visa?

Please I really need guidance on the matter. I applied but they rejected my claim saying that I am on a visa when I also have a British passport.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British by descent and on tier 4 visa. CAN I CLAIM CHILD BENEFIT FOR MY DAUGHTER BORN IN UK?

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:01 am

Did you declare your British citizenship in your student visa application??

How did you complete the question about 'other nationalities you hold'?

You should not have been given a visa as a British citizen is not subject to immigration control and cannot be issued a visa to 'enter' the UK. Your British passport would be the only validity or right to reside in the UK you have as far as I understand.

I would worry less about benefits at this stage and more about your dependents who might not have valid visas as you hold a British passport which you used to prove your nationality to get a passport for your new born.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

thruuuuu
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: British by descent and on tier 4 visa. CAN I CLAIM CHILD BENEFIT FOR MY DAUGHTER BORN IN UK?

Post by thruuuuu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:54 am

Well, I did declare and my university visa handling team are the ones who recommended this route. Plus during the entrance I had to declare and explain everything. They didn't object to me entering.

But am I suppose to be worried about it?

thruuuuu
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by thruuuuu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:55 am

So should I withdraw my appeal for child benefits you recommend?

thruuuuu
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by thruuuuu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:00 am

Okay I even sent them my British passport when I applied for my student visa from Pakistan?

What are you talking about? They of course are aware of the fact that I have a visa and a British nationality as it was declared and they were sent all of my passports when I applied for the visa. I even had to get a CAS from my university to get a visa.

Plus I was born with British nationality but I spent my whole life in Pakistan. I only secured the passport for myself in Nov 2015. So I am not sure where things are with what you have said. However just to be on a safe side what would you recommend me to do?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:25 pm

thruuuuu wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:54 am
Well, I did declare and my university visa handling team are the ones who recommended this route. Plus during the entrance I had to declare and explain everything. They didn't object to me entering.

But am I suppose to be worried about it?
Did you declare it to UKVI though on applying for the visa?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

thruuuuu
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by thruuuuu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Yes i did ofc

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:02 am

It's very odd. They shouldn't knowingly grant leave to a British citizen.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.