ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Retained rights with a permanent EU Fam card

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

notrouble

Retained rights with a permanent EU Fam card

Post by notrouble » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Dear all,

I have a question posed by a friend. What are the (retained) rights of (permitted/qualified) non-EU family members (who have EU Family cards in Ireland based on their EU citizen relative) after they get their permanent EU Fam cards?

He has a father and a brother who have such cards (issued under the Directive).

Can the EU citizen leave Ireland and move to a different country? Would that affect their non-EU citizen relatives in Ireland?

If his brother marries someone, will that person be allowed to join him in Ireland? Under which regulations would this be dealt with by the Irish authorities?

Thanks!

notrouble

Re: Retained rights with a permanent EU Fam card

Post by notrouble » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Any thoughts?

broli
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ireland

Post by broli » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:56 am

This a very good question Guys MODs please respond.

Can a holder of EU permanent resident card stay legally even if EU citizen leaves the states..

I think they should be able to stay but i need people to contribute anyone who got EU3 Approved recently can also respond. :mrgreen:

dupalsky

Post by dupalsky » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:25 pm

The answer is YES!

notrouble

Post by notrouble » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 pm

dupalsky wrote:The answer is YES!
Hey Dupalsky,

Have you come across anything in writing that my friend could quote if it comes to dealing with these issues?

Thanks!

dupalsky

Post by dupalsky » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:15 am

Why would your friend feel the need to to have to explain himself to immigration. The only time your friend will come accross immigration is when he travels and the only concern immigration will have will be whether his residence card is valid or not.

Meanwhile, immigration knows the distinction between ordinary residency card and permanent resident card and they are aware of the rules associated to each.

Dupalsky

notrouble

Post by notrouble » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:57 pm

dupalsky wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:15 am
Why would your friend feel the need to to have to explain himself to immigration. The only time your friend will come accross immigration is when he travels and the only concern immigration will have will be whether his residence card is valid or not.

Meanwhile, immigration knows the distinction between ordinary residency card and permanent resident card and they are aware of the rules associated to each.

Dupalsky
They are just not sure as to what would happen to his dependent brother once he gets married. Under which regulations would his brother's wife go? The brother is still non-EU and it's not clear what piece of legislation deals with non-EU family members once they acquire their permanent right of residence...

dupalsky

Post by dupalsky » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Hey,

I am a little confuse by you earlier pos(the part about brother, marriage, brother's wife and permission).

Can you explain the scenario a little more clearly

Dupalsky

notrouble

Post by notrouble » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:02 pm

dupalsky wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:00 pm
Hey,

I am a little confuse by you earlier pos(the part about brother, marriage, brother's wife and permission).

Can you explain the scenario a little more clearly

Dupalsky

What we have is:

1) Adam, an EU citizen, resident in Ireland
2) His brother Brian, a non-EU citizen who acquired a permanent card in Ireland under the EU Directive due to being a member of Adam’s household prior to their move to Ireland
3) Brian is considering getting married to another non-EU citizen, who is not resident in the state.

The question is:

what are the immigration rules that will apply to Brian’s future wife? Will she apply to join Brian under the regular Irish rules for non-EU citizens? Or under what rules would does Brian fall for the immigration purposes? Would he have to apply for some independent status before he can get married?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:11 pm

EU rules will not apply. His brother will need to apply for stamp 4 for his partner.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

dupalsky

Post by dupalsky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi Notrouble,

Well, I am guessing you made a mist at saying that Brian acquired a permanent residency card through Adam. I am thinking you meant, Brian acquired residence stamp 4eufam. If this is the case, then Brian will have to apply for stamp 4 for the wife. Although, I must say, it might not be that easy as his status is dependent on his brother's status.

But, if you meant that he has acquired permanent residency, then it will be straight forward for him as he will be standing on his own two feet having gotten his permanent residency.

Dupalsky

notrouble

Post by notrouble » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:00 pm

dupalsky wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:35 pm
Hi Notrouble,

Well, I am guessing you made a mist at saying that Brian acquired a permanent residency card through Adam. I am thinking you meant, Brian acquired residence stamp 4eufam. If this is the case, then Brian will have to apply for stamp 4 for the wife. Although, I must say, it might not be that easy as his status is dependent on his brother's status.

But, if you meant that he has acquired permanent residency, then it will be straight forward for him as he will be standing on his own two feet having gotten his permanent residency.

Dupalsky
Hi there,

What I meant is that Brian has now secured a permanent EU Family card based on his relationship to his brother (a household member of an EU citizen). Hence technically he is a permanent resident on the state.

PS: I had a similar situation in another Member State (Spain) where my sister has successfully acquired a permanent residency card under the EU Directive (as a member of my household). She just had a baby here and the child acquired an identical 10-year card with an exact same status (EU Family) and expiry dates based on my sister’s relationship to me. According to the immigration authorities here, if my sister is to marry a non-EU guy, he would acquire also the same card in Spain - effectively also to be linked to me!

Adam in Ireland has an identical situation yet it seems the two member states deal with these permanent residents in two different ways.

notrouble

Post by notrouble » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:34 pm

Any comments?

mgb

Post by mgb » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:13 am

Brian is not a eu citizen and therefore his family is underlying national irish immigration law.