ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor Visa for Ukrainian Girlfriend.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rich221
Newly Registered

Post by rich221 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:21 pm

Hi all,

I am looking for information and advice about getting a visitor visa for my Ukrainian Girlfriend.
I met her through a dating site on the internet the end of June 2007 and in October 2007 I met her in person in Kiev, we spent 2 amazing weeks together and fell very much in love. I returned to Ukraine December and we stayed together in Lugansk for 3 weeks over Christmas and new year (also her birthday in January). I met her family and again had a great time with her. We can not wait to see each other again. Now I want her to visit me here in the UK in May/June for 2 weeks to 1 month tops.
I have been reading about getting her a visa and a visitor visa has been advised to us, and I want to sponsor her visit. I understand that the main things we need to prove is that we have enough money so that she will not require government benefits while here and that she intends to return to Ukraine.

I am a 27 year old British citizen and have lived here all my life. I have been in full time employment with my current employer for 5 years this April, I have earned average £2,200 per month for the last year and now earn approx £2,500 p/m. I have had a mortgage since November 2005 and until last month have never missed a mortgage payment. I understand that they will want to see 6 months bank statements, this could be a problem as I am very often overdrawn and sometimes unauthorised. Also I have taken 2 bank loans in the last 6 months. I will be getting a tax rebate of £2,000 to £3,000 which I am hoping they will think is enough to support her for her short stay.
I think my finances are going to be a problem.

I am also worried my girlfriend appears to have little reason to return to Ukraine. She is 23 years old, she has had her current job since November 2007 and she earns 700-800 Hryvnas for 15 days work per month. She currently does not have a bank account. She lives with her parents and has no children. She is studying at university.

We are both very worried about the whole process. What do you think our chances are?

Many thanks for your time.

Richard

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:58 pm

See also Visitors (INF 2) and Sponsors (INF 3) and 10.2 - Requirements for a visitor under the Rules.

As she is studying, she should obtain a letter from her University confirming her student status and when she is expected back. This may help show that she has a commitment that require her to return after her visit.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:15 am

One small advantage in your favor: you are not attempting a long visit visa. Try to decide the exact amount of time and request it & document why at the end of tat time she must leave. A return ticket plane flight would be a good bit of evidence.

In your case, maybe decide & plane for 23 days total in-country.

If she then repeats a very similar entry later in the year, she will be establishing a top-level track record of behaving honestly and by the rules.

Yes -- you are correct to worry.

But, careful planning should make a big difference.

It wouldn't hurt for her to establish her own bank account ASAP. It probably won't help much this time around, but every day she delays is hurting her in the big picture. She can park money in the account from here parents, if they agree to some arrangement.

Let her show she is paying bills from her account, no matter whose money it is. It all establishes her financial history and can come in quite useful later on.

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:43 am

Also get a letter from her employer saying she has a job and she's wanted back, all helps.

My (Russian) gf's friends just came over to London both under 25 so it's not impossible.

Anecdotally tho - it does seem harder to get a vv from Ukr than Russia, just make sure all avenues are covered.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

rich221
Newly Registered

Post by rich221 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:50 pm

Hi,

Thanks for replying :-)

We wont be applying until April at the earliest. She is going to stay here for 20 days I think, it will be between 14 days and 1 month anyway.
She is going to get a letter from her employer and from her university also, we will get exact dates before applying.

Her sister is setting up her a bank account with £1,000 in. but she wont be using it at all to pay bills or otherwise, it will just be savings in her name. I have put on the application form that she has savings. She will not need to spend any of her own money when here. I put that on the application also.

I will make sure she has a bank account and begins to use it for the future, the problem is she does not have any bills to pay, apart from her phone and internet, both she pays for as she uses it.

I am worried about paying for flights before she has the visa but if this will help much I will take the chance.

I had read that it is much harder for a Ukrainian than a Russian to get a visa. why is that?

Many thanks,

Richard

IMMIGRATION LAWYER
United Kingdom

Post by IMMIGRATION LAWYER » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Hello,

I am dealing with a number of Ukrainian clients on daily basis.

The success of your partner's application will depend on whether she is going to VISIT you or STAY with you.

Any hint on that she is going to STAY/LIVE etc with you is likely to result in a refusal.

So, keep it to a coulle of weeks and make reasonable preparations, references as suggested above.

I hope it helps.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:20 am

Make sure also the money is put into her bank account in small amounts, the ECO's pick on large transfers in an instance and smell a rat...

rich221
Newly Registered

Post by rich221 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:09 pm

Thanks again for the replys,

Do you think 3 weeks is too much for her first visit? would we be better off if she visits for 2 instead?

I have talked to her about putting the money into her account in small amounts.

Many Thanks

Richard

rich221
Newly Registered

Post by rich221 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:01 pm

Hi again.

I have just found out that she did not receive all her inoculations as a child, will this be a problem? do they check up on this?

Many thanks

Richard

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:21 am

rich221 wrote:Hi again.

I have just found out that she did not receive all her inoculations as a child, will this be a problem? do they check up on this?

Many thanks

Richard
Christ no!

rich221
Newly Registered

Post by rich221 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:39 pm

Cheers, she was worried about this as she has problems with this previously.

Rich.