ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Docs to keep after naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

openTO
Newly Registered

Docs to keep after naturalisation

Post by openTO » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:42 am

Hi Guys,

I've just been naturalised as a British Citizen and some questions sparked in my mind in the spirit of shredding redundant documents.

1. Do I need to keep old WRS docs?
2. EEA (PR) card - my understanding is that after naturalisation the permanent residency status is superseded with citizenship, so the card will lose it's validity.

I think is NO to above but just want to have reassurance before...

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Docs to keep after naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:59 pm

I'd say keep all you got in relation to PR and BC, just in case you might have to refer to it some other time. HMPO has been known to delve into passport applications, questioning whether PR was obtained correctly.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

openTO
Newly Registered

Post by openTO » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Thank for reply alterhase58,

I'd made joint application via the register office (JCAP) so there will be no separate interview for the passport - it should come by post in a couple of days.

My thinking is that after I've become a British Citizen I don't need to reconfirm my status any more otherwise what will be the point of applying in the first place.

And there is huge pile of docs waiting to be shredded - tempting :P

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Keep all of these documents- permanently.

There is always the possibility that in the future you may have to show that you were a PR on a specific date- or even that the Home Office could lose your citizenship file.

In addition- you should always keep a valid British passport (it is the de-facto ID/population register) and do not throw away expired passports.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

openTO
Newly Registered

Post by openTO » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 pm

That's a valid point because who knows what's happen but on the other side when I requested SAR all the dates of issuing registration certificate and permanent residency card where on Home Office record - unlikely for them to just lose such a important peace of information. If in transit yes but once on the record it stays there.
But just in (crazy) case I will stick to WRS and other docs for a couple of years.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:16 am

openTO wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 pm
That's a valid point because who knows what's happen but on the other side when I requested SAR all the dates of issuing registration certificate and permanent residency card where on Home Office record - unlikely for them to just lose such a important peace of information. If in transit yes but once on the record it stays there.
But just in (crazy) case I will stick to WRS and other docs for a couple of years.
Unlikely? For example- they no longer have records of British citizenship by naturalisation or registration from before October 1986. And by some accounts, the records at the National Archives are incomplete.
https://www.gov.uk/get-replacement-citi ... ertificate

Also- apparently- they've not kept any WRS records so if you ever need to prove you were registered you'll need to rely on your own documents.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.