ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 Maintenance fund

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nandafeb28
Newly Registered

Tier 4 Maintenance fund

Post by nandafeb28 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:37 am

Hi All,

My wife is planning to apply for a Post Graduate course in the UK. Can my brother (He is working in the UK with a Tier 2 Visa) be a sponsor for her maintenance fund whilst she studies in the UK?

If yes, can anyone explain the process?

Many Thanks

amj85

Re: Tier 4 Maintenance fund

Post by amj85 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:42 pm

When your wife applies for her visa, she has to show that she has sufficient funds. This includes
1st year course fees + living costs for a maximum of 9 months

You must show that you have held the required money for a consecutive 28 day period (finishing on the date of the closing balance) ending no more than 31 days before your application.

Note: If you fully pay the course fees, you only have to show that you have access to the living costs.

Have a look at the tier 4 policy guidance - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2017.pdf

There is nothing in the guidance to suggest that your brother can be her sponsor. The money has to be in her account - See point 188
188. You can use money held in an account owned by you or by your parents or legal guardian. If you are a Tier 4 (General) student and using funds held by your parent(s)/legal guardian(s), you will need to show us evidence that you are related to your parent(s)/legal guardian(s) and that you have their permission to use this money.

Hope that helps

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:41 am

nandafeb28 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:37 am
My wife is planning to apply for a Post Graduate course in the UK. Can my brother (He is working in the UK with a Tier 2 Visa) be a sponsor for her maintenance fund whilst she studies in the UK?
If you mean can she use evidence of money held in his name as part of a Tier 4 application, the answer is no. If he is funding her studies, he needs to transfer the money to her in enough time for her to hold the money in her own name.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

nandafeb28
Newly Registered

Tier 4 - Dependant Maintenance

Post by nandafeb28 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi All,

My wife has completed her Masters in the UK and planning to apply for a doctorate programme in her university. Can somebody guide me on the maintenance fund I need to produce in order to apply as a dependent?

Moreover, as per the PBD dependant guidelines; it is mentioned that if I'm applying as a dependant for a Tier 4 student who is on a doctorate extension need to demonstrate maintenance for a period of 2 months only. (Paragraph 68).

Link: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n_2017.pdf

Please guide me.

Many Thanks,
Nanda

nandafeb28
Newly Registered

Post by nandafeb28 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:47 pm

amj85 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:42 pm
When your wife applies for her visa, she has to show that she has sufficient funds. This includes
1st year course fees + living costs for a maximum of 9 months

You must show that you have held the required money for a consecutive 28 day period (finishing on the date of the closing balance) ending no more than 31 days before your application.

Note: If you fully pay the course fees, you only have to show that you have access to the living costs.

Have a look at the tier 4 policy guidance - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2017.pdf

There is nothing in the guidance to suggest that your brother can be her sponsor. The money has to be in her account - See point 188
188. You can use money held in an account owned by you or by your parents or legal guardian. If you are a Tier 4 (General) student and using funds held by your parent(s)/legal guardian(s), you will need to show us evidence that you are related to your parent(s)/legal guardian(s) and that you have their permission to use this money.

Hope that helps
Thanks for guiding

nandafeb28
Newly Registered

Post by nandafeb28 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:48 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:41 am
nandafeb28 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:37 am
If you mean can she use evidence of money held in his name as part of a Tier 4 application, the answer is no. If he is funding her studies, he needs to transfer the money to her in enough time for her to hold the money in her own name.
Thanks for clarifying

nandafeb28
Newly Registered

Post by nandafeb28 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:06 am

Hi All,

My wife is currently pursuing her Masters in the UK and planning to apply for a doctorate programme. I'm on Tier 4 dependant visa right now and in order to extend my visa along with her new application, what would be the maintenance fund required to be demonstrated for a dependant visa application?

Moreover, as per Paragraph (68) of PBS dependant guidelines; it is mentioned that dependants of Tier 4 students who are on a doctorate extension scheme need to demonstrate maintenance for a period of 2 months.

Can someone guide me on this, please?

Many Thanks,
Nanda

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:36 pm

nandafeb28 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:06 am
My wife is currently pursuing her Masters in the UK and planning to apply for a doctorate programme. I'm on Tier 4 dependant visa right now and in order to extend my visa along with her new application, what would be the maintenance fund required to be demonstrated for a dependant visa application?
You must have missed the Paragraph 67, immediately before paragraph 68 that you have quoted below. Paragraph 67 states the required monthly maintenance and how many months' maintenance you need to show.
nandafeb28 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:06 am
Moreover, as per Paragraph (68) of PBS dependant guidelines; it is mentioned that dependants of Tier 4 students who are on a doctorate extension scheme need to demonstrate maintenance for a period of 2 months.

Can someone guide me on this, please?
Your wife is not applying for the Doctorate Extension Scheme, so this is not relevant to you.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

nandafeb28
Newly Registered

Post by nandafeb28 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Thanks