ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need to travel to Switzerland

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sagi_sagi
Newly Registered

Need to travel to Switzerland

Post by sagi_sagi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:47 am

Hi,
I am an Indian in UK with a UK Work Permit valid till Jan2009.My husband , is having a dependent work permit for UK as well.
We are planning for a trip to Switzerland in April 2008 for a week.Do we need a seperate Swiss visa for the trip.
Please suggest.

Thanks

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:48 pm

Yes. Visit the website of the Swiss embassy in London for visa information.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:05 pm

No, You dont need a visa to enter switzerland because you are resident in UK, as long as your workpermit is valid for 6 months beyond your return to UK you dont need a visa for switzerland
Magsi

Brit Chick

Post by Brit Chick » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:10 pm

No you don't, as long as you have a minimum of six months remaining on your current visa.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:58 pm

Oops. My fault, sorry. I've read it and you don't need a visa as long as you have a valid residence permit, as brit chick wrote. I was thinking that Switzerland had already joined the Schengen space...

jasim

Re: Need to travel to Switzerland

Post by jasim » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi,
I don't think u & ur husband need any VISA or anything to visit Switzerland as long as u hold a multiple UK VISA or Work Permit. I am a Bangladeshi national living in the UK. I've been to Switzerland 3 times with my student VISA. I didn't have to get a seperate VISA from Swiss embassy to visit Switzerland. All I had to show them in the airport my hotel booking, return ticket and proof of my financial condition. That's it. I'm pretty sure to visit Switzerland for a UK resident (temporary or permananet) does not need to get a Swiss VISA as long as he has multiple UK VISA/Permit which has validity at least 6 months from the day you travel to Switzerland. I think it would be the best if you ring Swiss Embassy in the UK before you travel. Their number is 020 7616 6000. Thanks. Jasim

aabhinaav
Newly Registered

Re: Need to travel to Switzerland

Post by aabhinaav » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi,
I have seen the swizz embassy website where there is no mention of the rule that you must have a further six months validity of the UK visa.

Is this a correct fact as I am in the same condition where my UK visa expires in July and I wish to travel to Swizz in may.

Please confirm if this is a correct fact or a belief.
thanks.

jasim wrote:Hi,
I don't think u & ur husband need any VISA or anything to visit Switzerland as long as u hold a multiple UK VISA or Work Permit. I am a Bangladeshi national living in the UK. I've been to Switzerland 3 times with my student VISA. I didn't have to get a seperate VISA from Swiss embassy to visit Switzerland. All I had to show them in the airport my hotel booking, return ticket and proof of my financial condition. That's it. I'm pretty sure to visit Switzerland for a UK resident (temporary or permananet) does not need to get a Swiss VISA as long as he has multiple UK VISA/Permit which has validity at least 6 months from the day you travel to Switzerland. I think it would be the best if you ring Swiss Embassy in the UK before you travel. Their number is 020 7616 6000. Thanks. Jasim

aabhinaav
Newly Registered

Post by aabhinaav » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi,
Is this a correct fact??? can you please let me know where I can get more of this fine print?
thanks

Brit Chick wrote:No you don't, as long as you have a minimum of six months remaining on your current visa.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:52 pm

aabhinaav,

Please see Swiss_FAQ where it states:
Question 9)
How long does the passport have to be valid?

Answer:
If no visa is required, the passport has to be valid when leaving Switzerland.

If a visa is required the passport has to be valid for at least three months after leaving Switzerland.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question 10)
How long does the UK permit have to be valid?

Answer:
The permit has to be valid when leaving Switzerland.
So you should be fine. It may still be worth giving them a call, just to make sure.
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:35 pm

Does the six-month idea arise because the UK visa has to be valid for more then six months in total? (So you couldn't, for example, make use of a standard UK visitor visa for visa-free entry to Switzerland.)

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:12 am

Christophe wrote:Does the six-month idea arise because the UK visa has to be valid for more then six months in total? (So you couldn't, for example, make use of a standard UK visitor visa for visa-free entry to Switzerland.)
I suspect the 6-months idea is because different countries have different time frames under different circumstances. Six months is not uncommon. Many countries that were using 90-day rules a few years ago have been changing over to longer time frames.

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:26 am

Christophe wrote:Does the six-month idea arise because the UK visa has to be valid for more then six months in total? (So you couldn't, for example, make use of a standard UK visitor visa for visa-free entry to Switzerland.)
Christophe is correct here. The UK visa has to have a total validity of more than 6 months in order to be used to enter Switzerland visa-free. There is no limit to how much time is remaining on the visa, so you could, in theory, only have a few days left until your UK visa expires and still use it to go to Switzerland as long as the visa had a total validity of more than 6 months.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.