ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Grounds for refusal

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Amia
Newly Registered

Grounds for refusal

Post by Amia » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:49 pm

I am new to all of this, and it may sound like a stupid question, but i want to know can a spouse visa be refused solely on the basis that the spouse in the uk is on benefits?

tyvm for any replies and sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:37 pm

Well spouse visa's have been denied for people not earning enough...

How do you intend to support a spouse on benefits?

Sammie

Post by Sammie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:38 pm

Visa: Spouse
Submitted: 12/03/08 (Mirpur VAC, PAkistan)
Time Elapsed:10 Working Days
Result: VISA ISSUED 28/03/2008
ILR App: 18/03/2010-28/03/2010
ILR App Sent: 25/03/2010
ILR Received: 30/07/2010 - YAY!!

Twin
Member of Standing

Re: Grounds for refusal

Post by Twin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 am

Amia wrote:I am new to all of this, and it may sound like a stupid question, but i want to know can a spouse visa be refused solely on the basis that the spouse in the uk is on benefits?

tyvm for any replies and sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.
Not at all! That used to be the case but I think there was a recent case law that rules that British citizen are allowed to claim benefits and that should not in any way hinder their spouse's or dependant's application. I also believe that benefits can be a form of proof of maintanance too.

I'll search and revert later.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:06 pm

This is the extract from the instructions to Entry Clearance Officers on the UK Visas website:
"The British/settled spouse/civil partners may claim Working Tax Credits and Child Benefit for his or her family if they are entitled to this under the Department for Work and Pensions legislation. There is no objection to the British citizen/settled sponsor receiving any public funds to which he/she is entitled in his/her own right. The important factor to consider is whether there will be a need for the sponsor to claim additional public funds to support the applicant. The fact that an applicant may not be eligible to claim public funds is not in itself sufficient to satisfy the requirements of the Rules.

If the sponsor is in receipt of public funds, it does not mean that they will be unable to support the applicant, although clearly a person who is heavily dependent on the state because they don't have sufficient means of their own will find it difficult to support another person for any length of time. The question to be considered is whether additional recourse to public funds will be necessary if the applicant is granted leave to enter."
So the answer to the OP's question is "No". I don't know of any caselaw that affects this simple principle. There has been a case establishing that the applicants cannot rely on additional financial support from a third party, although a very recent judgement has said that accommodation can be provided by a third party:-
AB(Third-party provision of accommodation) [2008] UKAIT 00018