ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR eligibility + maternity break

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

NROW
United Kingdom

ILR eligibility + maternity break

Post by NROW » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:13 am

My wife came into UK on Aug 2012 as Tier1 General Dependent. I am on ILR now. My wife will be completing 5 years in UK by Dec 2017 but there is a gap of 6 months from Apr 2015 - Sep 2015. She went to India in this time on maternity break. Meanwhile her visa expired in May 2015 and got it extended in oct 2015 from India. Will this affect her 5 years continuity required as part of ILR application or given an exception. Please let me know whether she is eligible for ILR. Thanks!

NROW
United Kingdom

Re: ILR eligibility + maternity break

Post by NROW » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:13 am

Can someone help me with the below query?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:42 am

You cannot extend a visa outside the UK. Applications outside the UK is a new entry clearance visa.

As there is almost 6 months between the expiry in May 2015 and the new visa in Oct 2015, she has likely reset her clock towards ILR and will qualify in 2020.

She should have extended before she left the UK.

There is no absence limit for PBS dependents though but the fact that she applied more than 28 days after her last visa expired means that she is no on a new 5 year period.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

NROW
United Kingdom

Post by NROW » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi CR001,

I got the below link on details about calculating continuous period for ILR.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -v15.0.pdf

In Page 24 under exceptional cases, it details about the exceptions given for those cases where continuous period is broken for any compelling reasons.

Serious or compelling reasons will vary but can include:
 serious illness of the applicant or a close relative
 a conflict
 a natural disaster, for example, volcanic eruption or tsunami
Absences of more than 180 days in any 12 month period for employment or economic activity reasons are not considered exceptional.
You can only apply discretion when it has been authorised at senior executive officer (SEO) level.
Time spent overseas due to pregnancy, or maternity, paternity or adoption-related leave is treated the same way as any other absence, that is, within the 180 days in any 12 months.

Considering above, I think that my wife can apply for ILR as the break is only 154 days and reason is Pregnancy.
Can you please help me whether my understanding is correct?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:15 pm

That applies to main PBS migrants and not dependents.

As she applied for a new entry clearance more than 28 days after the last visa expired, her clock was reset.

Besides, maternity is not considered 'exceptional'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.