ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family member-EU residence card (unmarried), Chinese national, travel to EU, still need visa???

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

colacat4
Newly Registered

Family member-EU residence card (unmarried), Chinese national, travel to EU, still need visa???

Post by colacat4 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:32 pm

I am a Chinese national (female) who recently obtained a residence card "Family Member-EU residence" in UK by Home Office. My sponsor is my Bulgarian boyfriend who has permanent residency in UK.

Last week, we traveled to Spain and got through visa free for the first time.
However when I asked the France and Bulgaria consulate in London about short visiting with my partner, they both said that I need to apply for visa.

Bulgaria consulate in London said that in order to enter the boarder of Bulgaria, I need to present both my Family member-EU residence card and marriage certificate to the boarder force.

France TLS contact centre said that since I am not married to my partner, I need to apply for tourism visa and I still need to pay for the fee.

I saw from here: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/tr ... dex_en.htm
that I do not need a visa when I travel with my partner and even if I do, I am exempt for visa fee.

I wonder if anybody could share their knowledge on whether I need to obtain a visa and if I have to, am I exempt for visa fee?

Thank you very much and best wishes

alijawad786
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Family member-EU residence card (unmarried), Chinese national, travel to EU, still need visa???

Post by alijawad786 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:58 am

you dont need to apply visa to visit europe. as the policy says you can travel with your EEA sponsor to visit or to join them in any member state with out visa.

i went on holidays in Feburary for a week went to holland and then germany and back to britian with out visa only on my Residence Permit issued by UKBA
Ali J/-\\/\//-\D

piyachanbocsa
Newly Registered

Re: Family member-EU residence card (unmarried), Chinese national, travel to EU, still need visa???

Post by piyachanbocsa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:24 am

alijawad786 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:58 am
you dont need to apply visa to visit europe. as the policy says you can travel with your EEA sponsor to visit or to join them in any member state with out visa.

i went on holidays in Feburary for a week went to holland and then germany and back to britian with out visa only on my Residence Permit issued by UKBA
While that may be easy for direct family members, it is not that straightforward for extended family members as we do not have a marriage certificate to prove our relationship but a collection of documents. Furthermore, as far as I know not all countries recognise unmarried partnerships.

@colacat4, we are in the same boat here. Romanian-Thai unmarried couple. We have contacted the Austrian embassy, as well as VFS and their reply was similar to what you heard from their French counterparts. My partner needs to apply for a Schengen visa and we do not qualify for waiving the fee.

If you do manage to travel to France I would be really interested to hear your experience. How did the Spain visa-free trip go? Did the Spanish immigration officer give you any trouble?