ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ENGLISH TEST FOR ALL SETTLEMENT VISA'S???????

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MSS

ENGLISH TEST FOR ALL SETTLEMENT VISA'S???????

Post by MSS » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:21 am

Ive heard from my husband in Pakistan that before you apply for a settlement visa you have to take an English course and pass it and include the certificate in your documents to prove you can speak and understand English. I know there is the English test for ppl who are applying for naturalisation, but is the former true? I dont think it is, but any information will be helpful.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:09 am

It's true, at least at permanent residence stage.

SMOOTH OPERATOR

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:39 am

just a quick question, would they require a person eligible for ILR who has a degree in history as well as a degree or post graduate qualification in these field still be required to do this english test and life in the UK test
Last edited by SMOOTH OPERATOR on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

mooi
Newly Registered

Post by mooi » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:32 am

I think everyone has to pass the English test regardless of academic background in order to be qualified for the ILR.

MSS

Post by MSS » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:07 am

smooth operator - i would think not. My sis-in-law had an MA, and she forwarded her certificates to show that she was educated and knew English when she applied for ILR, and they accepted this and she didnt have to do any kind of test. This was in 2005, so I dont know if things have changed since then. I think if you cant speak English properly, then you have to take the Life in Britain test.

sreeni

Post by sreeni » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:51 pm

the rules have changed now, and you have to pass the citizenship/life in the uk test to get ILR, even if you are not applying for citizenship.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:26 pm

SMOOTH OPERATOR wrote:just a quick question, would they require a person on a person eligible for ILR who has a degree in history as well as a degree or post graduate qualification in these field still be required to do this english test and life in the UK test
There are plenty of doctors from the subcontinent who can barely speak conversational English, yet practice medicine in the UK.

SMOOTH OPERATOR

Post by SMOOTH OPERATOR » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:25 am

gollywood wrote:
There are plenty of doctors from the subcontinent who can barely speak conversational English, yet practice medicine in the UK.[/quote]

do u have evidence of that. secondly not all the plenty of doctors as you put it are from non-english speaking countries. you need evidence to back up your claims gollywood. we need to draw a line here when it come to :- competent to practice medicine, fluency in speaking english language nd the ability to speak and understand english language on the job but not fluent.

i stand to be corrected.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:03 pm

SMOOTH OPERATOR wrote:
gollywood wrote:
There are plenty of doctors from the subcontinent who can barely speak conversational English, yet practice medicine in the UK.
do u have evidence of that. secondly not all the plenty of doctors as you put it are from non-english speaking countries. you need evidence to back up your claims gollywood. we need to draw a line here when it come to :- competent to practice medicine, fluency in speaking english language nd the ability to speak and understand english language on the job but not fluent.

i stand to be corrected.[/quote]

I do, I had to change my doctor cos I couldn't understand him, plus the whole place was an Indian love-in, all the staff Indian, and I definitely felt like I was put to back of the queue cos I wasn't Indian.

The final straw was when I made three appointments over the phone and none ever made it to the appointment book, but that's prolly more likely general incompetence rather than favouritism.

So I now have a native English doctor. dearly beloved? Probably but one's health is of prime importance and both parties need to be 100% sure in describing and diagnosing symptoms.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:17 pm

MSS wrote:smooth operator - i would think not. My sis-in-law had an MA, and she forwarded her certificates to show that she was educated and knew English when she applied for ILR, and they accepted this and she didnt have to do any kind of test. This was in 2005, so I dont know if things have changed since then. I think if you cant speak English properly, then you have to take the Life in Britain test.
At this time, I think if your sis wanted citizenship, she would be required to take the test too. Annoying, isn't it?

sunny9675
BANNED

Post by sunny9675 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:26 pm

doctors need to pass pt 7 ielts test in edu category , so they are good in English but service depends on thier attitude

there are sever shortage of medical professional

some of Gps are earning 250k

why govt not increasing competition so every body can be accomdated and general public get benefits

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:47 pm

There is a place in Batley west Yorkshire where if you pay £250 and take a half day course, and answer a few questions and write your name and address in English, you are given a City and Guilds certificate, which you send of with your application for british citizenship to say that you have an understanding of english. The place is packed out with people coming from all parts of the country to take the test.Having sat during one such interview, I fail to understand its purpose. I think its right that people should take a much longer course over a lengthy period tomake peopleunderstand the british culture and way of life in order mix in within society

sreeni

Post by sreeni » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:28 am

Personally although i am already a british citizen i have looked the life in the uk test book and feel that i would not be able to pass it, without having had an exam cram session for a few weeks. he only people with a fighting chance of passing it without having to revise would be school children as most of it is historical stuff.The test seems silly to me, as most of the the facts and figures in it no average citizen would know. A better test would be one telling you stuff like what rights you have, what to do if you got lost, if your car broke down how would you get help, how to register to vote, how to get a doctor/lawyer, stuff that is actually useful in everyday life.
T