ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance Number

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Peted
Brazil

10 years after overstaying

Post by Peted » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:26 pm

I left the UK at my own expenses, without the knowledge of the Home Office, about 12 years ago. Prior to that, I was there as a student, but worked more than 20 hours per week and also overstayed my visa for about 11 months. Then I decided to leave and left. Que questions are:

- Am I able to return to the UK as a student now, after more than 10 years?
- The form does not ask directly whether I've ever overstayed. So, do I need to give them this information in "additional information" in the form? Is it compulsory to inform since they do not ask directly? Will if affect my application if I do or don't?

- I went to a GP (general doctor) back then, also got treated (one tablet only) at a public hospital for a simple infection. Do I need to tell them this?

I'll be very glad if you can help me by answering these questions.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: 10 years after overstaying

Post by sah10406 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Peted wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:26 pm
Am I able to return to the UK as a student now, after more than 10 years?
It depends in the first instance whether a Tier 4 sponsor institution is willing to issue a CAS. They would normally only do that for a course at a higher level than your previous student visa. They will also probably want to check why you are returning to education after such a long break, to anticipate any problems with your credibility in a visa interview.
Peted wrote:
The form does not ask directly whether I've ever overstayed. So, do I need to give them this information in "additional information" in the form? Is it compulsory to inform since they do not ask directly? Will if affect my application if I do or don't?
It is not compulsory, but it is also your opportunity to explain and apologise for any previous immigration problems.
Peted wrote:
I went to a GP (general doctor) back then, also got treated (one tablet only) at a public hospital for a simple infection. Do I need to tell them this?
Yes, there is a question about medical treatment.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Peted
Brazil

Post by Peted » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your account. I already have an acceptance from a higher education istitution (HEI) to take my PhD. Back then, when I was in the UK, I was just an English language student. Once I returned to my country, I continued my studies until I got a masters and today I'm a university professor who need to take a PhD. I hold a scholarship from the government of my country, which will cover all tuition fees and maintenance for myself and my dependant for the entire duration of the PhD.

I was trying to avoid any reference to my previous overstay, but I'm concerned that if I don't mention it in "additional information" they may see it as using deception, which scares me because that would lead to a 10-year ban. On the other hand, I fear that if I mention it, drawing their attention to it, then they may refuse my application. Of course, if they ask me anything related to it in the interview, then I'll definitely say everything.

Peted
Brazil

Post by Peted » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:56 pm

Peted wrote:
The form does not ask directly whether I've ever overstayed. So, do I need to give them this information in "additional information" in the form? Is it compulsory to inform since they do not ask directly? Will if affect my application if I do or don't?
It is not compulsory, but it is also your opportunity to explain and apologise for any previous immigration problems.

If I do not mention anything, will it be deception?

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:11 am

Peted wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:56 pm
If I do not mention anything, will it be deception?
I advise you discuss it with your Tier 4 sponsor. They have an international student adviser whose role is to advise their sponsored students on their Tier 4 applications, including issues like this.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Peted
Brazil

National Insurance Number

Post by Peted » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 pm

In the Tier 4 application form, they ask whether I've got a National Insurance Number. Why do they ask this? What can my NI reveal to them? What information will they be able to see with this number?

I have one, but it was issued when I was in the UK as a student, more than a decade ago. I don't have this number on me anymore. So, while I need to tell them I have one, I'm unable to provide the number because I lost the card and do not know the number by heart.

They also ask for the address where I'll be staying in the UK. Well, I'm still applying for the visa and have not arranged acommodation yet, I'll wait for the entry clearance outcome (I overstayed and left about 14 years ago in the UK) because I'd lose money if I paid for accomodation and the entry clearance were refused. So, what can I do?

Thank you so much!

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: National Insurance Number

Post by sah10406 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Again, I advise you discuss it with your Tier 4 sponsor. They have an international student adviser whose role is to advise their sponsored students on their Tier 4 applications, including issues like all those you are asking about.

Peted
Brazil

When to apply

Post by Peted » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:33 am

Hi!
I know I cannot apply more than 90 days before the date in my CAS. However, there are 2 dates: course start date (08/01/18) and latest start date (22/01/2018). So, from which point can I apply? Is it from 08 Oct, or from 22 Oct?
I've sent the university a message with this question about 20 days ago. No answer yet.
If any of you could say anything about this I'll be very thankful.

Peted
Brazil

When to apply

Post by Peted » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:34 am

Hi!
I know I cannot apply more than 90 days before the date in my CAS. However, there are 2 dates: course start date (08/01/18) and latest start date (22/01/2018). So, from which point can I apply? Is it from 08 Oct, or from 22 Oct?
I've sent the university a message with this question about 20 days ago. No answer yet.

Waqasrafiq2
- thin ice -

Re: When to apply

Post by Waqasrafiq2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:59 am

Peted wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:34 am
Hi!
From 8 october . Start date counts 08/01/18.

Peted
Brazil

Very stupid mistake

Post by Peted » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:16 am

Hi!
I have applied and was interviewed yesterday. Now re-checking everything I've noticed I made a horrible mistake. In the application, they ask whether I have a national insurance number and I said yes. They also ask me to explain why I had it issued, and I explained. They also ask for the national insurance number, and this is where I made the stupid mistake. I got my P45 from 15 years ago (when I left the UK last time) and I copied the wrong number and gave them. I gave them the "reference number" from the P45 instead of the National Insurance Number.

Do you think they will see this as deception? Is there anything I can do? Please, any word would help.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Very stupid mistake

Post by sah10406 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:04 am

Peted wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:16 am
Do you think they will see this as deception?
No.
Peted wrote:
Is there anything I can do? Please, any word would help.
No.

Peted
Brazil

Post by Peted » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:40 am

sah10406 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:04 am
Peted wrote:
Do you think they will see this as deception?
No.

Thank you for your answer. But why do you think they may not think I did it on purpose?

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Peted wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:40 am
But why do you think they may not think I did it on purpose?
Because you didn't, because it is an error that I am sure people have made before, and because they will look up the real number anyway and see that you have nothing to be deceptive about.

Peted
Brazil

Post by Peted » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:52 am

Thank you a lot!!

Peted
Brazil

Decision made e-mail/no passport yet

Post by Peted » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:08 am

Last week (5 working days ago) I got this "a decision has been made on your application" e-mail. The same day, my Tier 4 dependant got an e-mail saying his application had just been assigned to an ECO. The day after (Tuesday) he also got the decision made e-mail.

In both decision mad e-mails (his and mine), it is stated that the documents were being sent to the VAC and we'd be able to track the delivery (DHL) 2 working days after the e-mails. Well, it's been a week already and nothing shows up when we use the tracking number yet.

Do you think this delay has anything tl do with a possible negative outcome? (e.g. they're taking more time to write personalised refusal letter instead of the pre-prepared approval letter)?

And isn't it unnusual (bad) that they did not assess both our applications at the same time? (Decision made e-mails did not reach us on the same date).

What coul this delay from the VAC in posting our passports possibly mean?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Decision made e-mail/no passport yet

Post by sah10406 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:19 am

Peted wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:08 am
What coul this delay from the VAC in posting our passports possibly mean?
It means they have delays in their mail room.

Peted
Brazil

Post by Peted » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks for replying sah10406!
I hope that's all it means, not meaning a refusal, which could take them more time to process after the decision made e-mail.
Also hope that the fact that mine and my dependant's application were assessed separately (his after mine) is something usual and not bad.

Regards

rk89
India

Post by rk89 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 am

Peted wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:27 pm
Thanks for replying sah10406!
I hope that's all it means, not meaning a refusal, which could take them more time to process after the decision made e-mail.
Also hope that the fact that mine and my dependant's application were assessed separately (his after mine) is something usual and not bad.

Regards

Can you please let everyone know the outcome. It would help others too.

Thanks

Peted
Brazil

Post by Peted » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:06 am

My Tier 4 general student visa was granted. My dependant oartner's was refused. I've posted another whole thread on this: "Tier 4 dependant refused/another CAS needed?"
Please have a look there. Sah has already kindly made several comments.