ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement and US degree (EEA citizen)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dtames
Newly Registered

English language requirement and US degree (EEA citizen)

Post by dtames » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi all,

I have a question about the english language requirement. I am an EEA citizen that has a PhD degree from the USA. AN form states the following about the requirement:
I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised
standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
i. UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
ii. the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country
(other than Canada);
The government page here (https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english) states the following:
If your degree isn’t from a UK university, you’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:

* an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
* an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)
Am I the only one who thinks the two lists are not the same? If I read it right, the first one requires a SoC from NARIC and the second one doesn't.

Could someone please comment on the supporting documents I plan to send:
  • Original degree certificate - is this the one people typically frame or can it be an official statement from the university confirming completion of the degree? Does it need to explicitly state 'United States of America' on it (my framed degree does not)?
  • NARIC document - I am thinking SoC is the appropriate one, but the FAQ recommends VNS? Given the higher price, is there any reason to prefer VNS?

Bastiat
Newly Registered

Re: English language requirement and US degree (EEA citizen)

Post by Bastiat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:39 am

Did you find out which document you needed?

Aleksej2008
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: English language requirement and US degree (EEA citizen)

Post by Aleksej2008 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi
What requirements are needed for the English Test and what is this points system if you have English qualification, a link would be nice.

Thanks
Alekesy2008