ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for BC as spouse of BC within days of naturalisation.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

colinjg

Applying for BC as spouse of BC within days of naturalisation.

Post by colinjg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi all. After your advice to confirm my thoughts on my situation.

I lived in the UK on and off for most of Jan 2011 to April 2013. This was on a special work visa, so none of this time counts towards residency.

I returned to the UK in May 2013 on a spouse's visa (we were civil partnered in Nov 2012). Both my spouse and I were granted ILR in Jan 2016.

My spouse has now been granted BC and will be attending a ceremony in Nov 2017. 2 days later I have my appointment with a DVS to apply for BC.

Can you please confirm that this is all within the rules, as I would have been living in the UK for 4 1/2 years, I have ILR and will be applying as the spouse of a BC under the 3 year residency rule (even if the spouse was only naturalised 2 days earlier).

Many thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for BC as spouse of BC within days of naturalisation.

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:44 pm

It would be useful if you stated which category of visa you got ILR through (Ancestry dependent) as a spouse visa (in the sense you are using the term which is a specific category of visa) requires 5 years residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:50 pm

My spouse has now been granted BC and will be attending a ceremony in Nov 2017. 2 days later I have my appointment with a DVS to apply for BC.
I am sure you mean 'NCS' and not 'DVS'. Anyway, yes once partner is British you can apply as spouse of BC provided you meet all the requirements of residence based on 3 years. You will need to send your partners naturalisation certificate with your application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

colinjg

Post by colinjg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:52 pm

I arrived in May 2013 as the spouse of an ancestry visa holder. My spouse has been in the UK since March 2011.

colinjg

Post by colinjg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:53 pm

And yes, meant NCS not DVS (document verification service)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:55 pm

colinjg wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:52 pm
I arrived in May 2013 as the spouse of an ancestry visa holder. My spouse has been in the UK since March 2011.
Yes, I know that as I looked at the historical posts. My point was merely that a spouse visa, as you have stated, generally means a spouse of ILR or BC which requires 5 years residence (2 x 2.5 year visas) and other members reading your topic will be aggrieved or confused that you managed to get ILR after less than 3 years if you were on a spouse visa or assume HO had made a mistake and could revoke your ILR.

It is all in the minor detail :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)

colinjg

Post by colinjg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Many thanks for your help, again.