ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Honisoit
Newly Registered
United States of America

Registration?

Post by Honisoit » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:19 pm

What are the pros and cons of Registration versus Naturalisation ? I am veering
towards Registration as the fees seem considerably lower.

secret.simon

Re: Registration?

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:33 pm

They both have the same effect; acquisition of British nationality.

However, registration has very specific requirements. Most forms of registration require that you be a minor at the time of application. Three forms of registration allow registration as adult (Forms UKF - registration of a child to an unmarried British father, UKM - registration of a child born before 1983 to a British citizen mother and T - registration of a child born in the Uk and who lived in the UK for the first ten years of its life).

If you give us your particular circumstances, we can advise on which form to apply.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:38 pm

Beaten by secret.simon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You need to explain your circumstances to enable knowledgeable members here to advise you. Were your parents, or one parent, British at some time?
It's not a case of choosing based on the fee.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:22 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:33 pm
They both have the same effect; acquisition of British nationality.
Although in some cases, registration may give British citizenship by descent (depending on the section of the Act) while naturalisation gives British citizenship otherwise than by descent.
However, registration has very specific requirements. Most forms of registration require that you be a minor at the time of application. Three forms of registration allow registration as adult (Forms UKF - registration of a child to an unmarried British father, UKM - registration of a child born before 1983 to a British citizen mother and T - registration of a child born in the Uk and who lived in the UK for the first ten years of its life).
There are a number of other registration options that can apply to adults. Most British overseas territories citizens can be registered as British citizens and there are options for holders of other forms of British nationality who are either settled in the U.K. or are otherwise stateless. There are also provisions for stateless persons to be registered as British citizens which either have a higher age limit than 18 or no age limit.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.