ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Properties for rent and Life in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Obie
Ireland

Properties for rent and Life in Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:34 pm

This is a general topic, and people are welcome to share their views and experiences.

I have personally noted that property rental is a bit of a nightmare in Ireland at present.

I don't know whether it is down to lack of homes, or lack of government investment.

I will welcome the views of newcomer to Ireland, about their experience in finding property, any helpful links, cost of rent in their local area.

I believe this will assist new arrivals. Perhaps it may even help me.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

dupalsky

Re: Properties for rent and Life in Ireland

Post by dupalsky » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:18 am

Hey Obie,

Well, both are interlinked- lack of government spending on infrastructures like house=Shortage of homes. However, I am afraid to say, what is happening is not government fault. There is no amount of homes they will build that will meet the demand for houses.

Ireland is one of the few countries doing well at the moment in Europe. Citizens of all other countries whose economies are strougling(e.g Italy, Spain, Greece etc) have the right and are capable to come here. Also, countries that recently became full member of the eu(e.g Croatia and others) are more than capable to coming here and as you are probably aware, there are about 500 million people in the EU. Therefore, I don't think this problem is going to be easy to be solved.

Disclaimer: The above narrative is just a snap shot of my opinion to the housing problem. It does not in any way suggest that I don't like the fact that people are coming here!

Dupalsky

dupalsky

Post by dupalsky » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:31 am

To add to my above post, I live in the city centre for about 6 years now. I started of paying €740, but now I am paying almost double of this....

Dupalsky

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:44 pm

I've been in Dublin on and off since 2011 or so, first time here I had to live in Bewleys Hotel in Leopardstown, I literally couldn't find anything. After about 5 months I found a room in a house in Sandyford village, €790 a month, and they guy had the heating on 5c - I'm not kidding. I froze my chuddies off.

Bit luckier since, gone Northside €1100 a month for a studio, it's not bad at all but not cheap. Some of the houses on this ordinary street, 2 bedroom seminar three-house rows, were going for €950,000 at the height of the Celtic Tiger, even now they're €280/300k - same as a 4 bed detached in North of UK.

I love it here but it's bloody expensive and everything costs me/is taxed more, my car tax is three times more than in UK, car insurance 50% higher, 10 sachet pack of Lemsip twice as much as UK - the only things the other way so far are:

1. Some nail clippers

2. No Council Tax

3. Tram is cheaper than Manchester
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

September
Newly Registered

Post by September » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:40 am

I think it is enough to avoid large cities and you can find accommodation at much better prices.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:44 am

September wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:40 am
I think it is enough to avoid large cities and you can find accommodation at much better prices.
But not the work to pay the lower prices!

September
Newly Registered

Post by September » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:49 am

Wanderer wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:44 am
September wrote:
There is a lot of work outside Dublin, it is more difficult to find but once you get it you would be rewarded with much better housing situation.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 am

September wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:49 am
Wanderer wrote:
September wrote:
There is a lot of work outside Dublin, it is more difficult to find but once you get it you would be rewarded with much better housing situation.
Not much in my field, (tier 1 banking) it's Dublin or UK...

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks guys for your contribution, which is most helpful.

I gave searching for homes in Dublin many years ago.

They are very expensive, and quite frankly I prefer the country side. It will be nice to get an area with easy transportation to and from Dublin as this is where most activity is involved. Commuting is not much of an Headache so long as there is good transport system.

For example if a person resides in Louth, they can easily get the fast train, which runs from Dublin, Drogheda and Dundalk. If there is good transportation, then issue of commuting is not much of an headache.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 am
September wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:49 am
Wanderer wrote:
September wrote:
People always take the view that Dublin is everything, but it is not always true. I strongly believe that one can make a decent life and get a pretty decent job in areas other than Dublin.

With Brexit, there are many opportunities for job all over Ireland.

I personally see a future in areas other than Dublin.

I understand that Dublin has the population, if i am correct, a over a third of the Republic's population resides in Dublin, but Dublin makes less that 5 percent of the land mass of the Republic. If i am correct.

September
Newly Registered

Post by September » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 am
Not sure what tier 1 banking means, so please accept my apologies if I'm very wrong. I think that perhaps skills and knowledge you posses could be used in other areas and you can take other job than one that is usually available in UK/Dublin. I say so as banking seems pretty broad area and while for example investment banking is different than retail one, you could focus on certain skills to move your career from one area to another. Anyway best of luck in any career you choose.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:16 pm

There is also the issue of adaptation, people who had previously lived in big and busy cities tends to find it very difficult to adapt to life in a quiet sparsely populated area.

I personally don't have problem with either, but have people i know, who find such change quite difficult.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Obie wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:16 pm
There is also the issue of adaptation, people who had previously lived in big and busy cities tends to find it very difficult to adapt to life in a quiet sparsely populated area.

I personally don't have problem with either, but have people i know, who find such change quite difficult.
I've lived in both environments too - in fact, on my next trip back to the UK I'm planning a wee road trip via my old haunts; drive up to Belfast from Dublin, ferry to Cairnryan, Scotland, drive via St John's Town of Dalry and Haulgh of Urr (fine-sounding names) to the village Moniaive in Dumfriesshire where I lived 10 or so years ago, beautiful place. Isolated, but no gas supply and worse, no kebab shop. You've no idea how much I craved a disgusting kebab when I knew I couldn't have one.

Over night at the Craigdarroch Hotel, meet old friends, and drive down to Annan, lived there about 7 years. Worked on the local Nuclear Power Plant. Then drive back to Yorkshire to my main residence to see if the roof's still on.

Will be the first long journey in my new chariot, the cost of even running it in Ireland is criminal, €1837 road tax! £530 in UK...

I liked country living, but ultimately felt constrained by it, I like live music too much, watching and playing, and Dublin is an excellent place for that.

Zoot7
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Zoot7 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:07 am

I work in Limerick.

I rented a one-bed apartment on the outskirts of the city in a pretty good location that was about a 10-15 minute drive to work for me. I stayed there for about 6 years up until last year.

The price was 450 EUR per month which was the going rate back in 2011. I got lucky in the sense that the building was sold around 2013 and it wasn't until early 2015 that there was a new landlord so I was paying a little below the going rate for a while.

The rent was increased to 520 EUR at that point (which is still cheap compared to elsewhere). I left last year just as my neighbors in the other one-bed apartments in the same building were telling me the landlord was increasing the rent to 650 EUR per month. The landlord was due to start asking 850 EUR for the two bedroom apartments in the building according to others there.

Currently we're commuting from home in Tipperary (30 minute drive) with a view to buying a house in Limerick from saving on rent for about a year.

I am so thankful that we're not living in Dublin. The cost of living in Limerick is just so much cheaper in comparison - it isn't uncommon to see similar apartments being rented for less than half the price of what you have to pay in Dublin. Work may not be as freely available for everyone down here but luckily for my wife and I, we have good jobs here.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Limerick is a nice place indeed. It is one of the reasonable location, but because of the economic performance and the Brexit effect, prices are increasing.