ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renouncing British Citizenship ETA?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Irishinamerica
Newly Registered

Renouncing British Citizenship ETA?

Post by Irishinamerica » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 am

Hi - hopefully this is ok to post here if not my apologies.
I applied to renounce my British citizenship on August 4th and my online status says "awaiting decision" I just wondered if anyone had been though the process recently and can give me an estimation on how long it may take? I need it to be completed for my husband to apply for his residency card through the EEA process and we hope to have his CoA back before his EEA expires in December so that he can continue employment.
Thanks so much.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Renouncing British Citizenship ETA?

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:45 am

It can take up to 6 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:11 pm

I heard six months too..
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Irishinamerica
Newly Registered

Post by Irishinamerica » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:10 pm

thanks; I am hoping to hear someone got their back in a much shorter time frame. Seems like it shouldn't take more than two minutes; it's my citizenship no real decision to be made on the HO part as long as I have another citizenship. They were quick enough to take the payment now I just need them to post me back the renouncement.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Irishinamerica wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:10 pm
thanks; I am hoping to hear someone got their back in a much shorter time frame. Seems like it shouldn't take more than two minutes; it's my citizenship no real decision to be made on the HO part as long as I have another citizenship. They were quick enough to take the payment now I just need them to post me back the renouncement.
Suppose they need to check their action won't make you stateless.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:42 am

Further context on this thread:
eea-route-applications/eea-application- ... 38848.html

Renunciation of British citizenship is a serious step. Home Office policy guidance as follows:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance

And while the withdrawal of the U.K. from the EU/EEA in March 2019 may not directly impact Irish citizens, it's a reminder that existing free movement rights cannot be taken for granted. Individuals using the EEA route as a route to settlement in the U.K. should also be cautious about how they may be impacted by changes in the EEA immigration rules in 2019 or thereafter.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Irishinamerica
Newly Registered

Post by Irishinamerica » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 pm

JAJ wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:42 am
Further context on this thread:
eea-route-applications/eea-application- ... 38848.html

Renunciation of British citizenship is a serious step. Home Office policy guidance as follows:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance

And while the withdrawal of the U.K. from the EU/EEA in March 2019 may not directly impact Irish citizens, it's a reminder that existing free movement rights cannot be taken for granted. Individuals using the EEA route as a route to settlement in the U.K. should also be cautious about how they may be impacted by changes in the EEA immigration rules in 2019 or thereafter.

The above poster is completely correct; I may sound flippant regarding the situation but it is simply frustration.
I am lucky enough that the agreement made between Ireland and the U.K. precedes any EU law and I will enjoy free movement within my own country even post Brexit (well we hope) but I would be cautious to take this EEA route in any other case. We simply don't have any other options; given our 4 children if we were to go the spousal route we would need to show eveidence of over £62000 in the bank and it's not really an option for us.
Thank you for pointing out the ramifications; I have always identified as Irish and don't hold a British passport so renouncing does not hold an emotional attachment for me but granted it could have legal consequences in the future.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:20 am

Noted on another thread that it may not actually be necessary in the circumstances to renounce British citizenship, on the assumption that you proceed with renunciation there is the possibility to recover your British citizenship in the future.

Although you should not normally do this at least until your husband has Permanent Resident status in his own right. Is there an intention for him to apply for naturalisation as an Irish citizen after living in Northern Ireland for 3 years (as the spouse of an Irish citizen)?

Since you didn't renounce in order to obtain/retain another country's citizenship there is no entitlement to resumption but there is a discretionary basis to do so. Home Office policy is outlined as follows. Although the particular circumstances do not fit the established policy, there is a good chance that if the applicant met the residence requirement for naturalisation (5 years) and held permanent resident status in the United Kingdom (Irish citizenship acceptable under current law) that an application would succeed. Although nothing is guaranteed.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n-v1.0.pdf
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Irishinamerica
Newly Registered

Post by Irishinamerica » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:27 am

We do indeed intend to have him get his Irish citizenship; we just need to wait approximately 14 months as he has lived in Dublin previously with me so has already accumulated about 18 months in the island of Ireland and the 3 year requirement in cumulative not concurrent.
Having been through the permanent residency process in America for myself while we lived there I genuinely thought I was prepared for UK immigration...I'm a fool; I was not 😂