ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refugee ILR Application Lawyer and time scale?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

NormanBergundy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Refugee ILR Application Lawyer and time scale?

Post by NormanBergundy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi Everyone,
Thanks to so many people posting on this topic, I was able to compile and submit my application for Refugee ILR at the end of my 5 years.
My situation
Single gay guy from Pakistan, no criminal record or convictions and no other immigration issues.
I applied a little early after explaining about the nature of my work and the need for early application and received a confirmation from Home Office that I could apply early.

I included a cover letter explaining the circumstances haven't changed as well as a support letter, home office country guidance for sexual orientation as well as some news clippings.
I am a little worried if this will all be fine as I did not hire a lawyer and simply compiled the application myself. (the lawyer was asking for £1000 for a seemingly simple application).

Has anyone applied recently and received their decision? Any idea about time scales? Was it a bad decision to do it myself instead of engaging a lawyer?

Also I was told by the lawyer, I'll have to apply for a new Travel document after I get my BRP, is this correct?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Refugee ILR Application Lawyer and time scale?

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:38 pm

How early before reaching 5 years did you apply?

There is a lengthy topic on Set(P) applications, link below.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/set-protecti ... -1720.html

Currently taking between 5-9 months.

Yes you will have to apply for a new travel document once you get ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

NormanBergundy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by NormanBergundy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:45 am

I applied on 17th October and I was supposed to apply on 14th November. (I sent a letter to Home Office and they confirmed I could apply early and I attached the correspondence with the application.)

Is there any way to fast track this process a bit. I work as a contractor and my employer cannot extend the contract without the right to work. (Home Office told me I could use the Application reference code for this check but I am a contractor and they cannot give me an open ended contract according to HR which makes sense.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

NormanBergundy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by NormanBergundy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Just to update I received my Biometrics letter today on 27th October. i also got an email with Case ID on 25th October. I will be finishing the biometrics submission tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

NormanBergundy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by NormanBergundy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:15 pm

Still waiting for a reply. I cannot believe the Home Office is taking this long to process a very simple and straight forward option.

NormanBergundy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by NormanBergundy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:23 am

Finally got my visa, waiting for the BRP now.

CKXGP
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by CKXGP » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:51 am

Many many Congratulations for u r ILR Enjoy you are Freedom Now Have you received U r BRP???

NormanBergundy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by NormanBergundy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Nope, still waiting. The letter states should wait 10 working days from when the letter is issued. So the time is up tomorrow as the letter was signed 5th February.

CKXGP
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by CKXGP » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:10 pm

thanks for the reply, did they mention any restrictions for travel in this later?

NormanBergundy
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by NormanBergundy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:57 pm

No. The BRP states 'Refugee Settlement' and Indefinite leave to remain.
I don't think you should apply to get your national documents (that defeats the purpose of asylum really)