ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa - Bank Statements

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

elsucre
Newly Registered
Argentina

Spouse Visa - Bank Statements

Post by elsucre » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi Everyone,

My wife and i are applying for her spouse visa and I will be her sponsor. Earnings requirements are fine but have a question on bank statements.

I was a paperless customer of santander until September. So I have 2 months of actual posted statements. I had to ring up Santander to get the months prior posted to me. They did so, but it's in one single document running 1 May to 31 August, not separated into 4 monthly documents. Also, although it's not strictly black and white as the santander logo is red other than that it's just a list of transactions and the format is noticeably different to my actual paper statements! At least the account number and sort code and name is on each page. It also came with a signed letter on Santander paper saying "statements dated 1/5/17 to 31/8/17 as discussed" although that letter doesn't have my account details on other than my name and address!

Is this Okay? I have separately got all my online statements in colour stamped (each page) by my local branch but our immigration solicitor has advised not to submit that as they haven't initialled the pages or signed as "certified" which obviously no bank would do these days.

Good to get some opinions on whether what we have is ok. Thanks

ILR1980
Pakistan

Re: Spouse Visa - Bank Statements

Post by ILR1980 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:11 pm

If Bank statement are original then no need of stamp or bank letter

If they are duplicate or electronic copy then they should be either stamped by branch on each page or branch should give you a letter on official headed paper confirming the authenticity of these statements

elsucre
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by elsucre » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:29 am

ILR1980 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:11 pm

If they are duplicate or electronic copy then they should be either stamped by branch on each page or branch should give you a letter on official headed paper confirming the authenticity of these statements
I have a letter sent to me by the contact centre agent at the bank who posted by statements but it just says "Dear xxx, please find enclosed bank statements requested 1/5/17 to 31/8/17" with a signature. It has me name and address on it and the Santander logo but not my account number and sort code!

However, our lawyer who is very experienced in these matters says it's fine and better than my page by page stamped online statements. I have to say I don't agree as the stamp from branch is impossible to doctor whereas a basic letter could so easily be. Be good to get some opinions from this forum. Thanks

Russell59
United Kingdom

Post by Russell59 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:50 am

My Bank Statements from Barclays were on original Letter Headed paper which i scanned over to my wife as PDF Documents..These were deemed as acceptable,i did not need any Signatures or Stamps on them.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:59 am

Russell59 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:50 am
My Bank Statements from Barclays were on original Letter Headed paper which i scanned over to my wife as PDF Documents..These were deemed as acceptable,i did not need any Signatures or Stamps on them.
For info, they shouldn't have been accepted. Bank statements must be originals not PDF.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

elsucre
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by elsucre » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:36 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:59 am
Russell59 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:50 am
For info, they shouldn't have been accepted. Bank statements must be originals not PDF.
What are your views on my situation?

Russell59
United Kingdom

Post by Russell59 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:51 pm

Send Copies and Originals if you wish,but i sent Documents scanned to PDF to my Wife in Belarus,where these Documents were checked by the Visa Agency that we used and they were happy with them.I also sent a Letter from my bank saying that the Statements were authentic and issued by them.I also sent my original P60s for the last 2 years as well.i also sent an original letter from my Company on Letter headed paper stating how much i earned,when i joined the Company,what my Job title is and they also included a printout of my up to date Monthly Salary from Jan 16 right up until April 17 when we married..I would send anything that you can use to prove you meet the Financial Requirements

Russell59
United Kingdom

Post by Russell59 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:16 pm

If you will supply financial support and accommodation for your visitor, and/or you will pay for their travel to the UK, they will need to provide:

copies of your bank or building society statements and payslips for the last 6 months; or
a copy of your savings account book.

I copied this from Gov.Uk

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 pm

Russell59 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:16 pm
If you will supply financial support and accommodation for your visitor, and/or you will pay for their travel to the UK, they will need to provide:

copies of your bank or building society statements and payslips for the last 6 months; or
a copy of your savings account book.

I copied this from Gov.Uk
Why are you quoting 'visit visa' requirements?? They are completely different to spouse visas.

Also, always a good idea to provide the HO link if you are quoting from HO's website.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Russell59
United Kingdom

Post by Russell59 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Visa Issued to my Wife Today !!!...seems the Bank Statements were ok after all

elsucre
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by elsucre » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Guys - I have another question. Note, I know they are not always right but our Lawyer who's preparing our application has put my mind at ease by assuring me that the bank documents I have are fine.

His view seems to be all the horror stories you read about rejections for minor things like that are smoke and mirrors and not the full story! Hope he's right. Can't take any chances though so see below question 2:

I rent a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom flat in London and my landlord letter says quote "xxxxx is a tenant" along with all the other usual stuff confirming he's happy for my wife to move in. However, will it raise eyebrows that this does not state "xxx is the sole tenant"? Should I get it re done to say that or will ECO assume i'm in shared accom? The tenancy agreement doesn't make any reference to shared accom (cos it isn't!) but it doesn't explicitly say I'm the only tenant.

We are virtually ready to submit this damn thing and the above is worrying me but if it needs redoing then that's that. What do people here think?

Well done Russell Btw.

smarter1
United Kingdom

Post by smarter1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:52 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:59 am

In certain countries, incl. Belorus, they scan all the documents and they do not care whether documents are originals or copies. Later, after copies are submited electronically to Sheffield, UKVI may ask to post the originals to them. In that case yes, all documents must be originals.

smarter1
United Kingdom

Post by smarter1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:53 am

elsucre wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:16 pm
However, will it raise eyebrows that this does not state "xxx is the sole tenant"? Should I get it re done to say that or will ECO assume i'm in shared accom? The tenancy agreement doesn't make any reference to shared accom (cos it isn't!) but it doesn't explicitly say I'm the only tenant.
I think you are on a safe side having it amended to include/reflect your wife.

elsucre
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by elsucre » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 am

smarter1 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:53 am
elsucre wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:16 pm
However, will it raise eyebrows that this does not state "xxx is the sole tenant"? Should I get it re done to say that or will ECO assume i'm in shared accom? The tenancy agreement doesn't make any reference to shared accom (cos it isn't!) but it doesn't explicitly say I'm the only tenant.
I think you are on a safe side having it amended to include/reflect your wife.
Could you elaborate?

If you mean amending the tenancy agreement - that won't be possible as in the UK first the right to rent needs to be verified which means she will physically have to meet the agents. That will happen after she's in the UK and as I understand it that's pretty standard. They can't add an individual to a legal contract if she has no right to rent in the UK which she doesn't UNTIL she receives her visa.

What I'm asking about is the letter. Is it okay that it refers to me as "a tenant" not the "sole tenant" (which i am)? I'm coming from a flat space perspective as if you're in shared accom you must have inspection reports. I'm not in shared accom, but does the wording of my landlord letter therefore need to be more specific in order to state I do not have any flatmates? Or is "xxxx is a tenant......his wife can move in etc etc" fine? I also am submitting water and council tax bills addressed to me personally.

smarter1
United Kingdom

Post by smarter1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:42 am

elsucre wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 am

What I'm asking about is the letter. Is it okay that it refers to me as "a tenant" not the "sole tenant" (which i am)?
Yeah, you right, I completely forgot about a right to rent.

'a tenant' wording should be fine, provided there are no other tenants in the same contract. Perhaps, to be on the safe side, you could try to ask the landlord to issue a letter stating he/she does not mind your wife joining you (provided she will obtain a visa, etc).

elsucre
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by elsucre » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:48 am

smarter1 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:42 am
elsucre wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 am

What I'm asking about is the letter. Is it okay that it refers to me as "a tenant" not the "sole tenant" (which i am)?
Yeah, you right, I completely forgot about a right to rent.

'a tenant' wording should be fine, provided there are no other tenants in the same contract. Perhaps, to be on the safe side, you could try to ask the landlord to issue a letter stating he/she does not mind your wife joining you (provided she will obtain a visa, etc).
The letter does state that, broadly the letter is: a) I'm a tenant, b) my wife (named) is allowed to move in, c) flat's 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom and has enough space for us both, d) confirming they are the property management company for the flat and to call them on their number if any questions. All on their headed paper and esigned by their property manager.

I'm only worried about the "a" v "sole" thing in case they assume I have flatmates and wonder why I haven't submitted a property inspection report.

smarter1
United Kingdom

Post by smarter1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:51 am

elsucre wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:48 am

I'm only worried about the "a" v "sole" thing in case they assume I have flatmates and wonder why I haven't submitted a property inspection report.
Maybe you should then wait for the second opinion here but I think 'a tenant' wording is fine in your case.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:16 pm

@ elsucre - you are overthinking the 'tenant' issue.

A tenancy agreement RARELY if ever, states SOLE TENANT.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

elsucre
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by elsucre » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:30 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:16 pm
@ elsucre - you are overthinking the 'tenant' issue.

A tenancy agreement RARELY if ever, states SOLE TENANT.
Okay, and is the Letter saying "a tenant" fine as well?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Yes it is fine because that is what you are, one tenant not multiple tenantS
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:59 am

elsucre wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:29 am
ILR1980 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:11 pm

I have a letter sent to me by the contact centre agent at the bank who posted by statements but it just says "Dear xxx, please find enclosed bank statements requested 1/5/17 to 31/8/17" with a signature. It has me name and address on it and the Santander logo but not my account number and sort code!

However, our lawyer who is very experienced in these matters says it's fine and better than my page by page stamped online statements. I have to say I don't agree as the stamp from branch is impossible to doctor whereas a basic letter could so easily be. Be good to get some opinions from this forum. Thanks
Read 3.3.4 on this page

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _Final.pdf

Bank statements must be on official bank stationery. Alternatively, electronic bank statements can also be accepted for all bank accounts (the account itself does not have to be exclusively online) as long as they are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page